PDA

View Full Version : Accelerating downhill is sluggish

fishyweb
13-07-2009, 12:43 PM
I have the 2.0 TDi. I've noticed that when accelerating on a steepish downhill gradient, the acceleration is very sluggish, as if there were some governor kicking in. I've not noticed this on the flat or on shallower gradients. Is it just my imagaination, or has anyone else noticed somethiung similar?

james_tiger_woo
13-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Which gear are you in when you do - I was going down a pretty steep hill this morning in 4th without any problems.

fishyweb
13-07-2009, 04:16 PM
I've noticed it in 4th and 5th. I see that you have a GT, which I presume is a different engine? Mine is the SE (110BHP IIRC).

james_tiger_woo
14-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Is yours the 1.6 tdi then? Mine is the 2.0 140 which, I think, is available in SE trim.

I'll double check again on my way to work today and let you know though, but acceleration shouldn't be sluggish going downhill. If you can - what happens if you coast (engine on, out of gear) down the hill - could it be the brakes cutting in or something?

fishyweb
14-07-2009, 07:53 AM
No, mine is 2.0, but the lower power model. Coasting down hill, the car does what you would expect, i.e. gradual acceleration. It is just when opening the throttle down hill that there seems to be, well, a braking effect for a second or so before the acceleration kicks in. Weird.

james_tiger_woo
14-07-2009, 09:49 AM
That's really odd....

I've checked this morning and acceleration in 5th and 6th down a steep incline is pretty brisk - If you can easily replicate the problem, drag an angineer out there with you to demonstrate the fault.

fishyweb
14-07-2009, 10:11 AM
OK, thanks for checking that our for me. Much appreciated.

WeegieBob
16-07-2009, 07:36 PM
I have that - usually after a fast run on a motorway, then slowing down on the off-ramp onto a country road, where within about 100 m almost immediately going over a small drop still slowing, its like the engine takes a "gulp" and there's a brief hesitation.

I'd always put it down to some form of turbo-lag as it never really caused me an issue and reckoned if it got worse I'd drop it into the dealer to sort it out.

WeegieBob. ;)