PDA

View Full Version : A6 Avant C6 - air con blower very weak

davington
13-07-2009, 11:28 AM
hi

i recently bought a 2006 A6 Avant 3.0TDI. superb car, but the problem i have right now is that during the recent hot weather the interior of the car gets very hot and the climate control is just not doing its job to keep things cool.

with the temperature set to LO i can hear the blower working at what sounds like a good rate (it's loud). the air at the vents is very cold, but it just doesn't seem to be getting blown out with any force - back off 6ins and you can barely feel it.

if i alter the flow between windscreen / front / down it appears the flaps are working ok (as i can no longer feel anything at the deselected vents).

anyone have any ideas? could there be a blockage somewhere further back in the system? we have a baby on the way so i will need to keep the car comfortable when that arrives. i'm also concerned that come winter i won't be able to clear the windscreen at all.

car is still under warranty until september, but i wanted to canvass opinion here before i take it to the dealer and he tries to fob me off...

thanks

ps. first post - i'm new to audis after many years of merc ownership.

NickPicks
13-07-2009, 12:12 PM
So, the blower motor is sounding loud and the air that is coming out is cold.

It sounds to me like there might be a blockage. Or one of the flaps isn't letting air through.

Things I'd suggest checking:

Fault code read - should tell you if any flap motors are malfunctioning
Check the pollen filter (remove it and see if the airflow increases)
Check if the pollen filter chamber or the meshed area at the bottom of the windscreen which lets air into the filter is full of leaves
Does the air flow increase on recirculate?

since it's still under warranty, get it to the dealers as soon as possbile and ask them to check it out.

davington
13-07-2009, 06:35 PM
thanks nick

where is the pollen filter located? had a look under the bonnet but couldn't see anything obvious. the area between the engine bay and windscreen has a mostly solid plastic cowling with only a couple of small mesh sections. took this out and checked underneath but no debris buildup. does the air come in from underneath??

also checked recirc mode but to be honest i can't really tell the difference.

re fault codes - are you talking about something i can check myself, or do i need a garage with a vag com?

as you say, will be down the dealers as soon as i can.

thanks for your help.

NickPicks
13-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Your A6 is a later one that mine - I presume it's the C6 shape (edit - it is the C6 shape - you said it in the post title!), so I'm not exactly sure where the pollen filter is - on mine, it's just in front of the windscreen by the left hand side.

Fault code read means it'll need pluggin into a computer. If you're taking it to the dealer to investigate, that should be the first thing they do.

davington
22-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Nick - you were right. The pollen filter was to blame - completely clogged up apparently. Dealer replaced it and all working ok now! :beerchug:

Bad news is that the filter's a service item so £26 + £16 labour + vat... ah well.