PDA

View Full Version : Brought an A4!!

audia4tdv
13-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi Guys,

I am now the proud owner of an Audi A4 2.0 TDI 140 (55 plate).:biglaugh:

I am absolutely chuffed to bits with it, perforamnce and looks wise! (moving up from a renault clio..) lol

One thing tho, the car I brought has a phone holder fitted (see pic). Does anyone out there know which phone this is for??

If I remove this I will need to replace the centre console due to the unsighlty holes (££!)... Although I could take the opportunity to go double din as suggested by Randall in another post! I have done some calculations and that will cost about £900 (for sat nav unit).

Thanks,

Dal

shark_90
13-07-2009, 11:34 AM
You buy a telephone specific cradle which fits the holder on the dashboard, so what you have there isn't for a "phone" as such. The cradles are a bit pricey unfortunately.

If you want to remove it you will have to replace the centre console although it's not a massive job. You don't need to change the console to go double DIN you just need a double DIN cage and a climate unit (or to cut the one you have down to fit). Can't remember how much consoles are, £60-£80 IIRC but don't quote me.

audia4tdv
13-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Nice one Shark_ 90! Thats cheered me up.. So i can keep the holder in and just buy a cradle.. that leads me to my next question.. i have an nokia e50.. where do i find a cradle which is compatible with both the holder in the car and the phone.

If i go to google and type in Nokia e50 Cradle, how do i know if it is compatible with the holder in the car?

Thanks again!

kodkod.84
13-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I believe this is what you need:

http://www.stokeaudi-parts.co.uk/products.php?product=Nokia-Phone-Cradle

ali_a4_avant
13-07-2009, 03:35 PM
What is 'Double Din'?

audia4tdv
13-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks for that kodkod.84.. Wow shark wasn't kidding £98!!
Suppose i'll save money by not having to remove the holder and the centre console.. one to think about!

Ali.. Double din refers to the size of the head unit.. see this post:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74070
(you'll have to scroll down a little!)

Thanks for all your help guys!

kodkod.84
13-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes I don't like the OEM Audi dash holder anyway, I have the kit in the armrest but I don't even use that to charge the phone.
Beauty is the bluetooth connection, I do have a phone holder but it screws behind the Symphony Head Unit and is just used to hold the phone in place.

fancy a cuppa
13-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Welcome audia4tdv :banana:
Im sure you will get some smiles from your new toy. I know i am, only got mine 6 weeks ago, still chuffed...... & i did drive a Merc CLK55 AMG! The fuel returns are great with the Audi & it packs a good punch for a dirty fueler :D

Just a quick one, last week i went to MOTECH PERFORMANCE, (you will see him dotted around in the forum) to get my motor remapped, all i can say is WOW! It was money well spent dude, I'm still lovin' the Whooomff It has given the car. May be worth a looksee.

See Ya Mucka. :beerchug:

audia4tdv
13-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Fancy a cuppa..
At the risk ofsounding daft.. (im a complete audi newb) whats a remap and what does it do?
I've heard the term banded about but have no idea what it means!!

Please help!

fancy a cuppa
14-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Good Day. :D
To Be Real Blunt, it wakes your car up, makes it more responsive & a lot smoother, takes away any lag in the turbo & believe it or not actually can improve your economy. :bigok:
Of course you don't have to get it done, but, looking around this site & reading some of the threads, the peeps are full of praise once their car is done. I am now converted, really pleased i had mine done.
I could tell straight away once i drove it after the Re-map. So much better, not that it was bad in the first place, just finished it off nicely, if you see what i mean?
There are a few Sponsers of this site who offer this service, feel free to ask, it is business at the end of the day, so they will be sure to answer your questions.

As i said i had mine done by MOTECH PERFORMANCE, Mike will help you. www.motechperformance.co.uk

Hope this helps matey? :o

audia4tdv
14-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Brilliant, thanks for that mate! I'll have a look into it, anything which improves fuel economy and performance cant be bad!! Does it effect the cars insurance policy, is it something that needs to be declared to insurers??

fancy a cuppa
15-07-2009, 07:31 PM
The answer in short, its your policy, your choice.
Its not harmful to the car nor is it seen by many as a 'need for speed' crazy fool driving gadget, but, that said i have been upfront with my insurer, who, honored the fact, charged me no extra & infairness said they do understand why people are going for this option, it wasn't seen as a threat to my policy. :D

Marvelous result then. :biglaugh:

Well pleased i had it done though for sure. :cool: