PDA

View Full Version : Buying an A6

SpinneyA6
13-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi everyone

Firstly I'd like to say what a great forum. Loads of good advice and knowledgable folk.:beerchug:

I'm looking at buying a 2007 A6 3.0 TDI and was wondering if there are any specific problems to look out for?

Many thanks for any advice.

SpinneyA6
14-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I'll assume there is nothing to worry about then :-)

NickPicks
14-07-2009, 04:14 PM
I think that the majority of us here probably own C5 A6s, so we don't know much in the way of specifics about the C6 platform.

I'd suggest that you have a look at the usual sites for reviews - Parkers, autotrader etc.

JeffTheGeek
14-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi,

Having just gone through the buying process for a 2.7tdi, I can pass on a little bit of info.

I havent found anything specific that has come up on the A6, apart from normal recalls etc as every car gets from time to time.

The most important thing that I learnt however, is make a list of the must have options, and then a second one of those that are "would likes" and ask the dealer about them before making a trip to see it (I ended up making several long trips to find one that was worth the money).

For the age of car i was looking for (pre 06 plate for cheaper tax), a lot of traders seemed to be selling them for about £3k over book value, and they still have them sat there. I ended up paying pretty much book value (taking into account the mileage). Dont rush into it, One will turn up.

For me the most important things were - Sat Nav, Colour driver screen between the dials (I beleive it was an option) and reversing sensors (would have liked front as well). You really need to do your research into the various options - perhaps even go and look at a couple of cars that you wouldnt necesseraily buy because of of colour, or lack of leather or whatever, as it really gives you a good indication on the various options and specs.

If your looking for the 3.0 for the performance, I'd say get the 2.7 and get it remapped. I was really uncertain about getting the 2.7 after having test driven a 3.0, but after the remap it grins all round - It really makes a difference.

If you want to ask any questions about options etc I can probably help you out as I looked into it for weeks whilst I was looking.

Jeff.

rharris
14-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I have a 3.0 TDI Quattro S-LINE on an 05, so an early C6; not had it for long but since having it I have had the off-side rear light cluster changed due to condensation and currently booked into the Audi garage to have a fuel gauge problem looked at (suspected sender unit problem).

When I first looked at the car, cd changer was also not functioning - that was changed as well.

I'm not sure these represent typical 'problems' but what I have had/seen so far.

I've also had the MMI upgraded to 5150 to get 3d mapping (I brought the 09 sat nav dvd) and phonebook exchange working with my blackberry.

Loving the grunt of the engine :) Came from a 1.9tdi A6.... (not quite got the handling of the Elise that went at the same time)

Richard

t11tmm
14-07-2009, 10:55 PM
I too recently bought an 2005 (05) 3.0TDI Quattro Tiptronic SE with loads of extras and 71K.
I've had no issues to report at all, just loving the car.....
The only grip I have is the lack of boot release from the "cockpit" something so simple on a complicated car.!
Am considering MMI update from 2120 to the latest for a few added features but not plucked up the courage yet (my blackberry is working fine on 2120.!)
Its a little more thirsty than perhaps I would like average round town 28mpg but then I can be a bit heavy on the right foot.... its fun in this car ..he he....
I held out for a good price and got one.. I think the motor trader I purchased from didn't allow for the value of all the extras this one has (or just didn't know)..!

rharris
14-07-2009, 11:41 PM
On my commute to work (b-roads), i'm getting 32 when I'm nice with the peddle and 42 on long runs....

SpinneyA6
15-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks for your replies.

From what I'd read there didn't seem to be any major issues but it's always best to ask someone who's had experience of using the car day to day.

On my commute to work (b-roads), i'm getting 32 when I'm nice with the peddle and 42 on long runs....

That's pretty good, I could live with that although I've been know to have a slightly heavy right foot ;)

rharris
15-07-2009, 03:20 PM
When I picked the car up, I had a play on some twisty stuff I know well (using paddles) and got it down into low teens :D

Even when I'm getting 32, I'm not driving like a p*ssy - just not planting the right foot and not last minute breaking - I tend to drive fast but smoothly :biglaugh:

MFGF
15-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi,

My last car was a 2005 A6 2.0 TDi S-Line saloon, which I drove from new in September 2005 until April this year. The most irksome problem was the leaky rear light clusters. They would start to fog up inside, and gradually get wetter and wetter over time until eventually the car would report multiple bulb failures in one or both rear lights as the water got into the electrics. During the time I had the car, the rear lights were replaced four times under warranty, and by the time I swapped it in April, the fifth set were getting very wet inside again, so it's definitely something to check for in a potential purchase.

From reading other messages on the forum, this seems to be a common problem in saloons fitted with the non-LED rear lights, and at least one wily chap has persuaded his dealer to replace them with LED lights under warranty, which seems to have cured the problem.

The other problems I had during my time with the car (split intercooler, broken EGR valve, two faulty rear parking sensors) don't seem to be recurring themes in the forum, which leads me to believe they were isolated issues with my car and not something to look out for generally.

Regards,

MF.

MFGF
15-07-2009, 04:43 PM
The only grip I have is the lack of boot release from the "cockpit" something so simple on a complicated car.!

My 2005 A6 had an electric boot release switch located at the front of the driver's door pocket. I didn't order this as an extra - it came as a standard fitment to the car. My 2009 A6 has the same switch fitted as standard too. I assumed all A6s had this?

MF.

t11tmm
15-07-2009, 04:59 PM
The Car manual says the boot release should be in the door pocket... but its not there on this model..! I spoke with the previous owner who also sighted this as the biggest niggle he had with the car.!

JeffTheGeek
15-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Can confirm its not fitted to mine either - and yes, it is annoying.

rharris
15-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Its actually an option, but most people take it as its a £30 cost option!!! I think its great being able to open the boot before i get to the car :)

JeffTheGeek
16-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Does anyone know the part number for the switch and plastic cover? Might see about retrofitting it :-)