PDA

View Full Version : engine swap

sokbrock
09-04-2007, 10:02 PM
I got a 94 GTI with a stock 2.0l, 5 spd trans. I would like to swap a 1.8T and trans from a 00-04 model. Is there anything, becides wiring, that is preventing me from dropping it straight in? Will this new engine and trans fit with my body style?

RickT
09-04-2007, 11:13 PM
it will go in... however it wont just bolt into place if thats what you mean.

Have you done a engine swap before?

RicKT

Eshrules
09-04-2007, 11:16 PM
it will go in... however it wont just bolt into place if thats what you mean.

Have you done a engine swap before?

RicKT

i agree, im only a novice, but i realise the need for matching mounts and running gear.... what is being suggested here is not a small job.....

unless you've done one of these before, you're either looking at a shedload of graft and problems or a very big bill....

you've got the obvious issue with the wiring loom and ECU, this on its own, will be a massive task and unless you are an autoelectrician, i see you having little choice other than to involve an expert...

ghee60
09-04-2007, 11:30 PM
i agree, im only a novice, but i realise the need for matching mounts and running gear.... what is being suggested here is not a small job.....

unless you've done one of these before, you're either looking at a shedload of graft and problems or a very big bill....

you've got the obvious issue with the wiring loom and ECU, this on its own, will be a massive task and unless you are an autoelectrician, i see you having little choice other than to involve an expert...

it will bolt straight in, mounts are the same. ud need the box off the 1.8t but that should drop straight in. The wiring isnt too much hassle but you will need someway to disable the immobiliser(transponder keys)

Eshrules
09-04-2007, 11:41 PM
it will bolt straight in, mounts are the same. ud need the box off the 1.8t but that should drop straight in. The wiring isnt too much hassle but you will need someway to disable the immobiliser(transponder keys)

wasnt sure about the mounts :) thanks for the usefull info :) but as far as the immo is concerned, you cant just 'disable' it, the ECU will recognise the fact there is no immo... im not too 'up' on auto electronics, but im guessing that unless you got some kind of custom ECU to 'ignore' the fact that an IMMO is not present, i doubt there is any way to get around it... could prove easier to match the keys to the immo, as opposed to trying to get around it....

ghee60
10-04-2007, 01:39 AM
there are ways to kill the transponder ecu but for obvious reasons im not gonna post them on a public board.

vw/audi havent changed the mounting positions on the straight 4 engines since the old 1.8 gti engine in the mk1 golf, in fact the 1.8t block is pretty much indenticle to that of the old DX 1.8's