PDA

View Full Version : ECU Remap = Blown HeadGasket ???

red_eye5
09-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Hi,

I have a 2001 model Passat 1.9 TDi Sport with 130K. I got a the ECU remapped last summer.

I noticed a few months ago I was losing coolant. No visible leak and it was'nt losing it from the exhaust either. Was not overheating or building pressure in the radiator pipes. There was no oil/water mixture either. Got worse recently and I had to refill the tank once a week. (I do about 500 miles a week). Changed the coolant cap as I know these go after a while. No luck. Then I was told the water pump was leaking so a timing belt change was due and I got water pump changed and new radiator (which I was told was weak).

Still had the same problem so I was told it may be a dodgy thermostat which I had changed. Since then the car has started to build pressure in both the pipes that come out of the radiator and I can see the water leaking now from the overflow on the coolant tank. Now the mechanic tells me that the headgasket is blown and its all down the ECU remapp I had done.

Has anyone had a similair experience i.e. remapped ecu and had problem with the headgasket? Appreciate your thoughts / comments.

Thanks

onzarob
09-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't know of any direct instances, but i my opinion remaps are all well and good, but you need to consider the down side of tunning any engine. by increasing the performance you raise the stresses on the engine therfore shortening the life of components. Audi do thousands of miles when setting up the ecu and reach a compromise between performance and longtiviy of service.

Your mechanic is right to suggest that head gasket faliure could be brought on eairler for a remapped engine, but it may of happened anyway.

I personally would not consider rmapping a high milage car because of these reasons.

if you get the head done the remap may not cause the same issues again. its a case of testing the config.

Rob:D

randall977
09-04-2007, 10:12 PM
I've had two previous VW PD TDi engines where the head gasket has gone (one at 36K, the other at 82K). I would say that the head gaskets are a weakness on these engines (it may be to do with the coolant not being replaced when recommended). The remap may very possibly have accelerated an existing problem.

Think I might start a thread to find out how many people have had head gaskets go on PD TDi's!

red_eye5
10-04-2007, 08:30 PM
I guess i have done ok then if you guys have had the headgasket gone at such 36 and 82K. Dissapointed though as I thought the headgasket was solid on the PD engines. I am not sure with how much degree of accuracy you can say the remapp resulted in the blown headgasket.

I am getting the headgasket done and will keep you all posted.

Thanks