PDA

View Full Version : First post - ordered a GT today...

stevebracey
09-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Folks,

Have been reading the forum for a while as have been considering a new Golf for a few weeks. Been through agonies deciding which model/spec etc but ordered today and paid my deposit.

My deliberations were between petrol/diesel, manual/DSG, 18"wheels/standard wheels and colour...

Knew I wanted a GT and after driving a few cars at my local VW dealer (Robinsons in Lowestoft - very good), have decided as follows...

GT TSI 160PS (petrol) 5dr, manual, shadow blue metallic, 18" Vancouvers, ACC, 2Zone Climate, Convenience pack, Storage pack, Rear-view camera, Winter pack, RCD 510 with Dynaudio soundpack and the £250 three year service plan (good value I thought)...total price £20,550. Dealer couldn't match Drive The Deal price but just got close enough for me to go with them.

Have been quoted 12 wks for delivery and asked about the long wait some forum members are experiencing. Salesman said it was just the 122PS engine and orders now would definitely not arrive before Feb or March 2010....dealers are very frustrated apparently and they have been given the same lead times for all VW Fox variants too....crazy!

Anyway, does anyone have any secret strategy for dealing with the agonizing wait for delivery, I mean there's only so many times you can read the brochure cover to cover!

Can I assume from another current post that I am likely to get the MDI despite having the Dynaudio? Cannot understand why the MDI drops off when Dynaudio is specified.

Thanks to all members for posting their issues/opinions as reading the forum will be another means for me to hold my enthusiasm at bay over the next three months.

Cheers,

Steve

cs2009
09-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Can I assume from another current post that I am likely to get the MDI despite having the Dynaudio?

Yes you will.

I have RCD510+Dynaudio+DAB and still have the MDI and Aux In sockets.
I recently got VW UK to confirm that this is correct.

Chris.

HHGTTG
09-07-2009, 04:46 PM
You could not possibly guess how many times I have read my brochure in my nearly 5 month wait. I even order new brochures, as and when they are available, to see whether there is actually any really uselful information contained therein but like all brochures they don't really contain anything much of use.
Since ordering my car back in February I have not even been back to the dealer and now doubt whether I could recognise the bloke with whom I dealt.
Still, not long to go now.

WeegieBob
09-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Anyway, does anyone have any secret strategy for dealing with the agonizing wait for delivery, I mean there's only so many times you can read the brochure cover to cover!

Zen Buddism is very relaxing - or for a more challenging way to wile away the time waiting there's always building matchstick models -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dXDZmgVew5A/R7SYJxMbY4I/AAAAAAAAA-I/rWfxaTEBFNE/s400/matchstick+mercedes+f1.jpg

Scotty. ;)

stevebracey
10-07-2009, 03:26 AM
Well, meditation might help. In fact the Golf Mk VI is so quiet it would be a good place to meditate. Damn, I'm thinking about the Golf again now. Matchstick models, yes, there's potential there. Do you think they'll do a "Match" version of the new Golf? Oh heck :aargh4:

chockymonster
10-07-2009, 08:39 AM
You could not possibly guess how many times I have read my brochure in my nearly 5 month wait. I even order new brochures, as and when they are available, to see whether there is actually any really uselful information contained therein but like all brochures they don't really contain anything much of use.

Would it be sad to have a copy of the brochure on my iphone?

Ozram
10-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Would it be sad to have a copy of the brochure on my iphone?

No, but my kids tell me I'm sad cos I've memorized my 17 digit VIN No. to track it on the boat. I don't even expect delivery for another 5 weeks!!!:Blush:

jinjin
10-07-2009, 07:46 PM
No, but my kids tell me I'm sad cos I've memorized my 17 digit VIN No. to track it on the boat. I don't even expect delivery for another 5 weeks!!!:Blush:

hows this VIN # boat tracking work then?

chockymonster
10-07-2009, 09:48 PM
hows this VIN # boat tracking work then?

I don't think it's much of an issue for us UK guys, the ship doesn't have that far to come.
I used to check daily on the shipping website when I was importing my own cars from Japan, just seeing the little dot on the map get closer to the UK was a therapy :)

Nightowl4933
12-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi stevebracey,

I was quoted 12 weeks, but it arrived in 8. Perhaps I was lucky, but I can assure you of one thing - it will be worth the wait.

Pete

stevebracey
12-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks Pete,

I see you have the 140 TDI. I spent many hours changing my mind between the diesel and petrol GT. I drove the 140 and 170 GTD as well as the 160 petrol engine (in an Eos...nice engine but truly horrible car because the roof was up and it squeaked and creaked and chattered away to the point that I would have pushed it off a cliff if it were mine).

The 140 TDI just astounded me. I have owned three previous VAG diesels and the new CR installation in Golf VI beggars belief in terms of refinement...on another planet entirely compared to its forebears and I thought it was quite a lot sweeter than the 170 GTD.

Subjectively, the 170 GTD felt no quicker to me and the salesman had the same opinion and he has used both as daily runners.

8 weeks would be a dream but I keep telling myself to enjoy the experience. I'm impatient by nature and almost can't imagine how I'm going to cope with the wait!

All the best,

Steve

paul.mgrath
12-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Steve,

I ordered mine 14th April and got mine 17 June so that ties in with Petes 8 weeks NOT the 7-10 days i was promised off the dealer!!!!However looking at other posts i have been quite fortunate as everyone else is saying just keep applying the pressure!

Nightowl4933
12-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Crikey, Paul. 7-10 days was a bit optimistic - My son bought a 2nd hand Golf and it took almost that long to get it from display to delivery condition!

Pete

paul.mgrath
12-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes i know that now.... But when i ordered my mk 5 it came within 2 weeks so i had no reason not to believe him.. However this was may 2005 whencars were being shelled out like peas i suppose.

Nightowl4933
12-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Never mind, mate - it was worth it in the end!

paul.mgrath
12-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Well worth it. Can't get over how quiet the new motor is.

andyduz
13-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Steve, thanks for extolling the virtues of the 140 GT over the GTD. I've just ordered a new company car and went for the 140 GT with plenty of options. After reading some recent reviews of the GTD I started getting slight pangs of regret at not going for the higher performance model. Ultimately, I opted for creature comforts over a quicker motor and reading your comments has now put a smile back on my face ;)

stevebracey
13-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Well Andy, I think you made the right choice.

I would possibly have had the 140 TDI over the 160 petrol had the price been the same but like you I wanted a few options and it all mounts up. I have run an original 130 BHP GT TDI (Mk IV) which seemed breathtaking in its day and the 140 PD engine in an Audi A3 and I thought that engine was pretty rough and I regularly drive the much lauded Ford TDCI motors (horrible gutteral metallic pinking under power in my experience) and one or two others and short of a six cylinder BMW or Jag diesel engine there is no diesel I've driven that gets close to the new CR 140 in the Golf VI.

I enjoyed the GTD but caned it a bit and just kept thinking it was less sweet and creamy than the 140. What I did like about the GTD was that sensation of being utterly clamped down onto the road and I loved the anthracite headlining. The GTD motif in the bottom of the flat-bottomed (why???) steering wheel looked and felt like something out of a cheap Christmas cracker. In other respects is was less well equipped than the GT, less comfortable and like I said, it really didn't feel any quicker to me. The 140 is much more discreet so good luck with yours...I get the odd twinge about whether I've done the right thing going for petrol.

Cheers,

Steve

fitlikemike
15-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Nightowl,

Can I ask how your finding the car?

I'm sitting tight, waiting for my own to arrive you see. It's identical to yours... I take it you went for the 140?

Good post Stevebracy.

Likewise I beat myself up by believing the type on the GTD and then consequently thinking that I was settling for less (?) but really, I did my research like a geek and by all accounts the 140 GT TDi is a peach of a motor...apparently!

Robbie G
15-07-2009, 09:14 AM
I test drove the 140 diesel and the 160 petrol. In the end the petrol was a no brainer for me.

Don't get me wrong, the diesel was excellent, but I found the following:

- petrol was noticeably faster
- petrol was more fun to drive, more responsive throttle and the supercharger took care of low end torque
- petrol was quieter and more refined than the diesel. At the end of the day, it's still a diesel and it's still rougher / noisier than its petrol counterpart
- we only do around 8k miles a year as we work close to home

Remember all of the above is entirely subjective so nobody get upset!

If you're doing spaceship miles then the diesel GT is an excellent choice, and I entirely agree with going for the GT over the GTD. I was let's say surprised, when I heard that the GTD doesn't come with cruise control and a few other things as standard and coupled with the fact that it's not outrageously quicker than the GT, I can't see that it's worth the increased outlay just for some extra bling and a GTD badge.

paul.mgrath
15-07-2009, 01:32 PM
I thought exactly the same thing with the GTD (had i made the right choice??)

At the end of the day tho the motor can always be chipped. I believe the power to be in the region of 180+ when chipped. Its never gonna be a flying machine to 60 I suppose its more 30-50, 50-70 that sort of stuff.

As for the other options of the GTD i can only see the chequered seats. My personal preference is leather (but didn't have the cash:() but the alcantera in the GT i find great and certainly an improvement over the mk5. Give me the cruise ctrl anytime:biglaugh: and maybe when its run in (still only done 700miles) look at a chip if i find i need more.

Nightowl4933
18-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Nightowl,

Can I ask how your finding the car?

I'm sitting tight, waiting for my own to arrive you see. It's identical to yours... I take it you went for the 140?

Good post Stevebracy.

Likewise I beat myself up by believing the type on the GTD and then consequently thinking that I was settling for less (?) but really, I did my research like a geek and by all accounts the 140 GT TDi is a peach of a motor...apparently!

I just walk out the front door, and there it is :biglaugh:

No, seriously, I love it. If mine were to be written off I'd buy exactly the same model - but probably add 2-zone aircon and a sunroof but keep the extra's I've already added.

I've owned new (Toyota) cars before, but the build quality and solid feel of my Golf is just outstanding - and it turns heads! People actually look at my car when I'm driving through town. Even the salesman, who originally thought my choice of colour and accessories wouldn't be his first choice, was impressed! My dealer prepares the car in their showroom for the handover, and several customers came to have a look - even though there was a black GTD on display as well (which was about £5k more than mine and with fewer options)

I've done about 700 miles in it so far, washed it twice, and it still makes me smile when I drive it - and I think the red-lit interior looks spectacular in at night.

I've not tested the performance yet, although my job gives me the opportunity to from time to time, but I don't seem to feel the need to - I just love to drive it.

You decide which one you want, but either way I don't think you'll be disappointed - it's a great car and came out top compared to the Civic 2.2 TDCI, Audi A3 and the BMW 118i, which was good enough for me :approve:

Pete