PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Lighting

pmnpmn
08-07-2009, 05:07 PM
On my test drive the dash lights were on the whole time. Is that always the case? Or is there a way of turning them off when the lights are not in use. I'm wondering if they're linked to the daytime running lights?

james_tiger_woo
08-07-2009, 06:43 PM
They're on all the time - as far as I can tell....

VictorPapa
08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
They're on all the time - as far as I can tell....

Try turning the headlights to 'Off' from 'Auto' and go into a multi storey or under a long bridge....the dash lights dim and go out. All you can see are the red needles:boggled:

paul.mgrath
08-07-2009, 10:01 PM
I can see this dashboard light getting me and other people pulled by jonny law!!!

I was following a mk6 home today and noticed that tho the front lights were on the rears weren't, coupled with the fact that there is no indication as to whether the lights are on or not (other than the stereo changing to blue) i can see potential for slapped wrists:Blush2:.

Maybe not ordering the auto headlights etc wasn't such a good idea in hindsight!

RickT
08-07-2009, 11:19 PM
I was following a mk6 home today and noticed that tho the front lights were on the rears weren't, coupled with the fact that there is no indication as to whether the lights are on or not

They are DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS... so you dont need to know if they are on all the time..

If you read the manual you can "learn" how to disable these.

Rick

J400uk
09-07-2009, 12:01 AM
The dashboard illumination is on because of the DRLs

VictorPapa
09-07-2009, 08:58 PM
The dashboard illumination is on because of the DRLs

But drive into a multi storey etc and the DRL's don't go out like the instrument lights.

nebw
10-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Isn't the instrument backlighting controlled by an ambient light sensor, like the nav screen ? I think it's another bit of trickle down technology from the Phaeton/A8, which have both had this for a few years.

tigercrane
12-07-2009, 12:14 AM
They are DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS... so you dont need to know if they are on all the time..

If you read the manual you can "learn" how to disable these.

Rick

Even if you have the switch turned to on, you cannot turn of the headlights. As far as I know the headlights turn on as and stay even of you have the switch turned to off, though they are on dim.

Some sort of safety feature. If someone knows how to turn your headlights off, let me know as this "safety feature" will ultimately mean more bulbs being used and added costs!!!