PDA

View Full Version : radiator/temp gage

italianrat182
09-04-2007, 10:11 AM
hi guys, i know i keep asking alot of questions, but im new at this.
my coolant level keeps droping on my a3, the coolant level drops from max to min in around 4 weeks, and when i checked underneath, i noticed that there was a little water dripping off the radiator. is this going to be the problem that i need to get a new radiator, or could it be something else? if so how much am i looking at?
thanks
Eros

RickT
09-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Can you feel the wet patch on the RAD?

Are you sure its not just from the condestion from the aircon??

I have said this loads of times before... if you top up with coolant...

one thing to test if your unsure.... (do at your own risk!!) dip you figner in it... if its clear is not oil/ATS/PSF... smell it... if its not petrol, it is water or coolent.... taste it.... if its ok.. its condenstion from the A/C... if its bitter and not good.. its coolent..

(ps... dont go drinking loads of the coolent if you like the taste as its not too good for you!!(maybe add a mixer like a diet coke??)) ... have a drink ready to get rid of the taste!! LOL!!

as i said... do at your own risk!!

Cheers

RickT

italianrat182
10-04-2007, 12:06 PM
ok, i'll try that. the only thing is, the coolant level keeps droppin, so i know its related to that. is the air con linked to that too? is this a common problem?
thanks for the reply!!

Desdesigner
10-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi there,

I have this problem at the moment. Coolants dropping, and there was a wet patch on the drive this morning. I’ve had the head gasket checked and its fine. The mechanic suggested it could be a leak in the heater matrix but some of my motor head colleges suggest it could be elsewhere.

I’ve been advised to get some UV die and a black light to see where it’s leaking from. Also, my gauge is intermittent and I’ve cleaned the pins on my temp sender with no change. Only other possibility is the thermostat.

Desdesigner

jon41
11-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I had exactly the same problem in Aug/Sep last year. I had a trip from the North East to Alton Towers and noticed the problem on the return journey. It was a very warm day and on the way home the engine temp warning light/alarm went off, and the radiator was constantly on. I checked the coolant resevoir and it was empty. I topped it up with water 4 times on way home.

Took it to Audi garage the next day. They checked head gasket and confirmed OK. They kept it in overnight and pressure tested it. They couldn't find anything but said there was evidence of a leaky radiator. Estimate to replace was approx £250. I decided to get other quotes but in meantime noticed that the coolant level was no longer dropping. It has been the same ever since.

A total mystery. Maybe I had a leaky pipe which has been 'accidently' fixed by Audi during their investigations. Still haven't replaced radiator and am keeping my fingers crossed!

italianrat182
13-04-2007, 08:22 PM
ok, i have neva had to fill it four times, but i get the point. its still under warranty, and is booked in for the 24th. i will let u know what the prob is when i get it back. people keep mentioning the head gasket though which is a bit of a concern. is that common for them to go?
thanks for the replys!!!