PDA

View Full Version : steering rack for 88 scirocco gtx

fridgemagnet
08-07-2009, 12:44 PM
hi all,

after nearly two years of trouble free motoring (well 21 years if you count the previous owners) my rocco 's steering has failed. it appears that the knuckle has worn to such an extent that it like driving with an elastic band attached to the wheels. it is now safely parked up in my garage. as with everything nowadays i would like to fix it without spending a fortune, will the rack of a mk2 golf work for example, i have had a quote from my local vag dealer of over 400 quid to replace the rack.

any advice on how to tackle this would be much appreciated.

happy motoring. scott

Robin K-S
08-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi Scott, they've got them at Eurocarparts for about £70, but they need your old 1 for exchange. Don't know how easy it is to fit yourself or how competent you are, but £70 versus £400, I'd grab my manual & a mate & get out there, few beers after & you'll be £300 in pocket.
Just checked GSF, they've got them for £62.

Hope this helps

Robin

Crasher
08-07-2009, 10:33 PM
By knuckle do you mean the steering shaft connection or the track rod inner joints? Either way, these do not come with new or exchange racks. A Golf 2 rack is a completely different design. Golf 1 platform steering feeling like that is often failure of the body mounting point on the drivers side.

f45t gti
08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
same rack as mk1 golf and only difficult bit is the track rod ends as there an **** to get out of the stubaxle however the rack is held on with 4 or 5 bolts so pretty easy really just need a haynes, axle stands and a few hours