PDA

View Full Version : scirocco tuning

salem186
09-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi, Ive just purchased my 2nd scirocco (1988 GT)I had a MK1 Gli when i was about 19 which i sold for 50 pounds.....duh!)) and now i am looking to mod it a little, not too heavy cos i wanna keep it original-ish, but i am having problems finding decently priced parts etc. on the interbernard.
As i know very little about cars i was wondering what an audi throttle body would do as i read that many people have used them, but why? and also what size wheels could i use (offset etc..) as i have been advised to go 15"-16". Would an ecotek valve really help with fuel cos i am used to my old chav SRI which was great on economy so anything would help....
i no doubt will have many more annoying questions
thanks for you time..:biglaugh:

ghee60
09-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi, Ive just purchased my 2nd scirocco (1988 GT)I had a MK1 Gli when i was about 19 which i sold for 50 pounds.....duh!)) and now i am looking to mod it a little, not too heavy cos i wanna keep it original-ish, but i am having problems finding decently priced parts etc. on the interbernard.
As i know very little about cars i was wondering what an audi throttle body would do as i read that many people have used them, but why? and also what size wheels could i use (offset etc..) as i have been advised to go 15"-16". Would an ecotek valve really help with fuel cos i am used to my old chav SRI which was great on economy so anything would help....
i no doubt will have many more annoying questions
thanks for you time..:biglaugh:

Right, I dont know what audi throttle body would fit but it works by basically haveing harger chambers allowing more air to enter the engine.
AS for wheels it depends on personal pref but id avoid 16's as they tyres are more expensive than both 15 and 17's due to them being a rare size.
Ecotek valves basically work by sucking a bit of air into the fuel lines.
Problem with them on a fuel injected car is that they cause it either to run too rich or too lean so id personaly avoid them. (as a rule if it is advertised in max power its no good)

Hope that helps:beerchug:

salem186
09-04-2007, 01:58 PM
my rocco is a 1.8 carb, so i take it the ecotek valve would be ok?
and the throttle body i think is of a audi 80? ill check first
but thanks for your quick response...your a star

ghee60
12-04-2007, 04:10 PM
if its a carb then its not a throttle body you need, its a bigger carb. replace your standard carb with a better webber alternative and you will see performance increase

salem186
15-04-2007, 12:21 PM
ok, thanks.
any ideas where i can buy a reasonably priced one or two!!

ini
15-04-2007, 02:44 PM
You want to keep it more or less original?

As you can fit a supercharged 2.9 VR6 for best results.

A stealth turbo setup would be a bit more discreet.

A rebore to 2.0 or 2.2ltrs used to be popular with Mk1 Golf's.

The normal route for tuning VW engines is:

Better air filter and exhaust, cam shafts, vernier pulleys and mild cylinder head modification.

The Weber carb could be a 32/34 DMTL, made as a direct replacement for the Pierburg 2e2 and 2e3, but you may see better gains from something larger?

devonutopia
15-04-2007, 08:05 PM
1.8 20vt conversion. :D

Oh hang on, "Not too heavy cos i wanna keep it original-ish" Whoops. :D

ghee60
16-04-2007, 09:42 PM
rebore to 2.2? on a 1.8 lol, ooooooooooooooooooooooooooook

you could go for twin 40's or 45's both would do, 45's would do better tho usually a few sets knocking around on the bay

ini
16-04-2007, 10:59 PM
On a MK1 block, (still used on MK4's/1.8T) as well as changing crank from the standard 86.4mm stroke, as in the 2.0ltr mod, you also use oversize bore. I think it was 1 or 2mm.

Did need a bit of modding, and was not a very economical way of gaining power.

salem186
17-04-2007, 07:12 PM
loads of info
chee:biglaugh: rs all

ghee60
18-04-2007, 12:55 AM
On a MK1 block, (still used on MK4's/1.8T) as well as changing crank from the standard 86.4mm stroke, as in the 2.0ltr mod, you also use oversize bore. I think it was 1 or 2mm.

Did need a bit of modding, and was not a very economical way of gaining power.

hmm

on a standard stroke with 83mm pistons (2mm oversize) you would come out with a displacement of 1870 so basically a 1.9 engine

To get 2.0 you would need a bore of 83mm and a stroke of a whopping 92.4

Now to get a displacement of 2.2 your gonna need a bore of 86mm and a stroke of 94.5

Now this wont fit in a 1.8 block the deck height is too low and there isnt enough metal around the bores between the oilways

IT might be possible to bore out a 2.0 block but they are literally taller blocks

Anyway if you wanna make a revvy beast of an engine you wanna shorten the stroke, increase the bore and raise the rev limit, Fine you lose torque but you gain peak power and in a light car like a rocco its not needed

ini
18-04-2007, 01:28 AM
They were obviously using different physics from you.

You are probably right though, a short 3A bubble block or long 2E/AGG bottom end must have been used. Not sure about the 92.4mm Mk2 crank.

The standard GTI was good enough for me.

JABBER
30-04-2007, 08:06 PM
I've Got a Gt2 Dude..

Stop listening to the corrado crowd.. The A1 chassis will not like the bigger engines and your front will be too heavy..

Want a neat conversion then..
I would go for a 2e(tall block 2litre) or a 3A(short block 2 litre) bottom engine(will drop straight in!)
Match that to an 1800 carb head (go for an early EX head as these had the same valve sizes as the injection heads..) , injection cam, (aftermarket ones good but expensive), weber 32/34 DMTL, rejetted to suit , and a supersprint type manifold and you should be kicking near 120 bhp.

Word on the 2 e engine if you use that, you will need the Golf/Scirocco manifold (not the later horrible c type clip manifolds) and a Spacer as the block is taller.(TSR used to punt them before they went under!) 3A engines are quite rare now..

Mind you if you are after more power from a Rocco why not just upgrade to an injection..which was good for 112bhp before any tuning!

Which in a car that weighs only 850kg means that shes a very fast car when tuned correctly

Rob

salem186
01-05-2007, 09:27 PM
thanks jabber, its all very technical and also expensive by the sounds of it, i dont have much money.......sigh......so this is a long term project.
i have seen a firm in essex http://www.ballisticpower.com/15.html that will strip and polish nearly every thing on the engine for 800 quid. i think that might be the way forward....i dunno...looks good tho:approve:

salem186
16-04-2008, 07:00 PM
right, i have decieded to go for 32/34 twin choke carb ( my mate put 1 on his golf mk2, nice), a 4-2-1 sport exhaust, ats cup 15" alloys and coilovers.
i still need a bit of help with these bits

firstly.....the ats cup 15" come either et20 or et28, what the hell does this mean and which should i choose

secondly.....as i am just using the coilovers for show more than track use can i get away with buying cheap ones (£200) cos i want full adjustibility:biglaugh:

JABBER
16-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi mate
The weber is always a good move unless you are a pierburg boffin, over complicated carb.

Gasflowing the head would be the first place I'd start rather than exhaust although if the head was off then a 4-1 manifold is a good idea.

Over on clubgti there is a group buy on with a fellow doing gasflowing and excellent he is too (Man in the sheds!)

also on e-bay there is a stainless manifold for the 8v scirocco going very good also.

Rob

Crasher
16-04-2008, 08:09 PM
The car has a carburettor so a throttle body off an injection car is no good, that modification is for cars with K-Jet injection.

The Ecoteck valve is a stupid waste of time and makes a terrible racket that sounds like the gearbox is shot.

The Weber direct replacement carb is an excellent conversion see www.webcon.co.uk

A rebore to 83-mm (from 81-mm) gives 1871-cc (1.9) and is easy and cost effective. I have this conversion in my wife’s daily driver Golf 2 GTI 8v Digipants.

A rebore to 82.5-mm and an increased stroke of 92.8-mm from 86.4-mm stroke (using a longer stroke crank) gives 1984-cc but is difficult and costly. I have this conversion in my 83 Golf 1 GTI.

2.1 and 2.2 are not possible within the 1.6/1.8 block 220-mm block, you would need to use the 236-mm tall block such as ADY/AGG/ABF etc etc. A 2.1 is achieved using an 83.5-mm bore and a 95.5-mm stroke with a 1Z/AFN TDI crank and 2.2 is achieved using an 83.5-mm bore and a custom forged 99-mm stoke crank, I have the 2.2 conversion in my own Golf 2 16v

A VR6 conversion on a Golf 1 platform is incredibly difficult to do, far too heavy and would cost a fortune.

Turboing the original engine is possible but you would need your bumps feeling!

Twin Weber side draughts are easy but make the car run like kack.

Avoid tubular exhaust manifolds like the plague; the Golf 1 engine mount design cracks them for breakfast. Stick to a pre 83 Golf 1 GTI manifold and down pipe but as the original heat shields are now obsolete, you will need to insulate it with heat wrap-which is a horrid job.

JABBER
17-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Some sound advice above !

Couple of things though I've been running my Scirocco GT2 now with a stainless tubular manifold now for 3 years and 40000 miles with no issues, just ensure your engine and gearbox mounts are sound, (Consider the Golf diesel one for the gearbox mount.)

Don't consider using any of the 16v block if Thinking of two litre although in theory compatible the compression will go miles out!
Engine codes to look for are 2E or 3A for a Mk1 platform!

Rob

Crasher
17-04-2008, 06:18 PM
3A is the best; it is a 220-mm short block. All you have to do is use a Golf 3 2L oil pump and sump, block off the oil breathers and fit an adapter ring to the dizzy before fitting the 3A dizzy drive gear to the original.

Boumsong
06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I have just bought my first Scirocco, it's a 1.8i (1991 I think) Mk2 anyway, the talk of throttle bodies from an Audi, which one is required and what gains can be seen?

It's a 1.8i 8v if that helps.

Cheers.

Crasher
06-05-2008, 10:33 PM
The throttle body from an Audi 5 cylinder engine fitted to the 90/Coupe body style is the easiest option so from a JS and KV engine but the one from a 100 with the KU engine can be adapted. Without removing and opening up the inlet manifold to suit, it is a waste of time.

salem186
27-05-2008, 01:25 AM
right, i bought myself a twin choke 32/34 weber and installed it on saturday....

4 hours later i have a new car!!!!!!

wow, it must have at least added 15-20bhp and now pulls like a train.

its not fully tuned yet but i will be tweaking over the coming weeks

i recommend this upgrade to anyone,

for £212 of ebay its a bargin :aargh4:

my mate done one on his mk2 golf and says the same.........