PDA

View Full Version : Wiring towbar electrics into fusebox on 99 passat

Frodo Baggins
05-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Hi, this is my first post so please be nice!!

I want to fit a towbar to my dads 1999 passat estate however he says that he wants me to wire it in as if it had been factory fitted (basically wire it into the fusebox and get the towing light working on the dashboard).

I had a quick look and the fuse box has a space for a towbar fuse and in the hand book it shows that there is a confirmation symbol on the dash (in addition to the normal indicator warnings - the green arrows) which should fulfill the legal requirements, however i cannot find even the slightest mention of how to wire it in 'properly' as i call it, everyone seems to use the plug in ones or just crimo the wires both of which i dont like the idea of.

I was hoping to find a factory fitted towbar in a scrappy and copy the wiring but i cant find any at the moment and i only have 4 weeks until i need to tow a trailer to scout camp!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated however i am not expecting to find an answer other than to get VW to do it for me which will cost a fortune i expect!

Many thanks in anticipation

Andy

martin1810
07-07-2009, 09:15 AM
It's not difficult. A number of companies do twobars to fit that can be ordered over the phone/internet. At the same time order a 7 way bypass relay. If it's only to tow a trailer you just need the seven pin prewired plug and towball. You will need to remove some rear trim to get to wiring. Don't use crimps. Don't cut any wires. Just remove a bit of insulation from the wire, wrap your new wire round and solder. Do this for lights, brakes, indicators, foglight etc. The bypass relay is then powered from the fuse box. The bypass relay will include a buzzer for indicators and depending on where you pick up power for the relay the dash towing light will work. I can give you more details but they do vary with make of relay so it's best to get a relay first. Goodluck