PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE suspension problems

Rickza3
04-07-2009, 12:23 PM
hi, im new to the forum but it has given me alot of help and advice! but i am here agen because the car i have is an ex-showcar and is so low that it wont clear any bumps.... its a a3 1.6 on a 1998 plate which is pointless.

So im looking to replace the springs at the rear!

Will the audi a4 springs fit the a3 as i have a set of brand new springs which i can put on??????????

thank you in advance people

merlin2002
05-07-2009, 01:21 PM
hi, im new to the forum but it has given me alot of help and advice! but i am here agen because the car i have is an ex-showcar and is so low that it wont clear any bumps.... its a a3 1.6 on a 1998 plate which is pointless.

So im looking to replace the springs at the rear!

Will the audi a4 springs fit the a3 as i have a set of brand new springs which i can put on??????????

thank you in advance people

Hi

Ive just cross referenced the rear set up on the A3 and the A4 and it looks like nothing will fit
sorry

Rob

Rickza3
05-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Oh dear, back to the drawing board agen i think, thank you very much for the reply.

the problem i have is that there are plenty of kits out their that lower the car but i am wanting to raise the car slightly as it is too low and scrapes on the bad roads we have! arrrgghhh

the car is currently on standard shockers with 40mm lowered springs but it is just too low and i need to raise the car all round as much as i can.

does anybody know of any springs from other cars that may fit and give me a higher ride height???????????????????????????

thanks

merlin2002
05-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh dear, back to the drawing board agen i think, thank you very much for the reply.

the problem i have is that there are plenty of kits out their that lower the car but i am wanting to raise the car slightly as it is too low and scrapes on the bad roads we have! arrrgghhh

the car is currently on standard shockers with 40mm lowered springs but it is just too low and i need to raise the car all round as much as i can.

does anybody know of any springs from other cars that may fit and give me a higher ride height???????????????????????????

thanks

Theres a few guys on ebay breaking some audi S3s thay would be ideal i would imagine

regards
Rob

SEMKY
05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't use secondhand springs personally, you won't know their history, and S3 rears are prone to cracking, why not just get some new standard springs?......or even new S3 springs...they aren't that dear!

Rickza3
05-07-2009, 05:26 PM
the probelm is that the s-line springs ar lower than the standard ones for the car! i brough a brand new set of standard springs and put them on and there was virtually no raise at all as when the springs are compressed the 40mm added is literally nothing. so i need bigger/taller springs than that of the standard ones.... which are proving to be extremely hard to get.

i believe the mk4 golf and skoda octavia use the same suspension setup

Rickza3
06-07-2009, 12:00 PM
any ideas where i could source some taller front and rear springs any1?????????????? lol

SEMKY
06-07-2009, 06:10 PM
So in effect, you are looking to jack the car up further than in standard form? Or is the car that heavy with all the 'showcar' additions? Am I missing something?:confused:

Post a pic of the car if you can? Might help identify a solution.

Rickza3
06-07-2009, 08:00 PM
that car is at standard height, i have had the arches riolled and have 20" wheels on low profile tyres! the origional bumprs have all been modified with a lower lip, to give the look that the car has been lowered!

the car is that low it scrapes on uneven roads, so i really need to raise it as much as possible!

The dilema is finding a kit that increases the height as opposed to the traditional lowering!

the picture was when the car was first done, and now the suspension has settled is lower, roughly a 18mm gap between bumper and road!