PDA

View Full Version : Please Help ***?? - Engine serial removed!

TheRealYeti
03-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Hi all,

I posted a couple of weeks back about the possible causes to a nasty engine noise in my 130bhp 1.9TDI., Under investigation it turned out top be a broken crankshaft of all things! serious bad luck.

Anyway my garage advised that I would be best sourcing a replacement engine, so I put the engine details into a popular parts finder service and got loads of offers on engines.

The one I went for was from quite a large chain of breakers / parts service and was a complete engine with turbo, dual mass flywheel etc.

Anyway the engine has turned up today and my garage phoned me to say that it did not look like the 130bhp engine but more like the 100bhp model. (smaller inlet & exhaust manifold + other things).

I said "well it's easy to find out just phone Audi with the engine serial" so we looked for it but the sticker on the timing belt cover had been removed and the serial number in the engine block and been erased.

Could the be any legitimate reason why someone would have done this? Would I be within my rights to demand a refund because of the lack of serial number alone, or should I just play the "it's not engine you said it was" card.

I'm gutted as we've been without a car now for 2 weeks and now it gonna be at least the same again.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer on any part of my predicament.

Thanks

merlin2002
04-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Hi all,

I posted a couple of weeks back about the possible causes to a nasty engine noise in my 130bhp 1.9TDI., Under investigation it turned out top be a broken crankshaft of all things! serious bad luck.

Anyway my garage advised that I would be best sourcing a replacement engine, so I put the engine details into a popular parts finder service and got loads of offers on engines.

The one I went for was from quite a large chain of breakers / parts service and was a complete engine with turbo, dual mass flywheel etc.

Anyway the engine has turned up today and my garage phoned me to say that it did not look like the 130bhp engine but more like the 100bhp model. (smaller inlet & exhaust manifold + other things).

I said "well it's easy to find out just phone Audi with the engine serial" so we looked for it but the sticker on the timing belt cover had been removed and the serial number in the engine block and been erased.

Could the be any legitimate reason why someone would have done this? Would I be within my rights to demand a refund because of the lack of serial number alone, or should I just play the "it's not engine you said it was" card.

I'm gutted as we've been without a car now for 2 weeks and now it gonna be at least the same again.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer on any part of my predicament.

Thanks

Hi

Its a big no no to for an engine to have the engine number removed!! I think even the police would get funny about it as well if they checked ur car over and the engine number was erased.
Also if you only have the engine ur pretty foobard anyhow as ur need the ecu,etcetc, is far easyer to get the correct engine, hopefully you got the engine from a decent breakers

regards
Rob

SEMKY
05-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Have to agree with Rob here....I would be very concerned about an erased serial number:yikes:, and besides, if they haven't supplied the engine you paid for....REFUND and go elsewhere if I were you!

TheRealYeti
05-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the comments. pretty much in line with my thinking.

I phoned the company on Sat and they have asked for photos of the differences between the two engines so that they can look for another one.

I think that I will insist in a refund.

david4853
03-08-2010, 12:18 PM
hi mate a similar thing happaend to me a few years back wi a seat gbox,needless to say i was not happy.all i can say is go down the road of getting your money back.if no joy then phone police,trading standards,find out where there advertising,and make a mention there if still no joy then go to the yard tie him up then take what you want.thses guys are good at taking your money while ignoring the fact that your putting your trust in them on buying an item that it unseen. even the auction markets have a 24 hour rule now to protect people like us!lol internet explioting thats what i call it! hope you get it sorted pal!!

TheRealYeti
03-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Hi Guys,

many thanks for the advice.

Ended up getting my money back which was lucky.

Didn't risk another used engine as it seems like a real minefield, but went for a re-manufactured one from Ivor Searle who are real pro's and can't fault the service or the engine.