PDA

View Full Version : Please Help hello & iffy front door lock

Brie
03-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi,

I've been lurking through the forums for a while now. Proud owner of a '98 Passat since about 6 months. It's been a working car, it's done the miles, but mostly ok -- previous owner has kept it well.

My younger brother had a Passat which finally gave up at 500,000km -- still a long way to go, hopefully this example will last as long.

A few niggles remain -- when we got it the airbag light was on. VAGcom and a magic cable from Hongkong cured that.

The main niggle now is something that happened a few weeks back -- the front door has decided to get locked and stay locked. It looks pretty much like the problem described on http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism/

The twist is, the door is actually locked shut.

With enough patients and wiggling I've managed to get the doorcard off and the "accessory holder" and I can actually touch and feel the lock from the inside of the door.

Symptoms:
- drivers door does not lock / unlock
- other doors do lock / unlock with central locking
- there's no sounds from the drivers door -- no electric locking sounds from inside the door
- the key spins free from the outside and doesn't seem to catch
- pulling the inside handle does not unlock the door or open the door
- pulling the outside handle doesn't work either
- feeling on the inside of the door while turning the key from the outside it seems like there is a little rod coming out of the keycylinder that I'd think needs to turn, but it doesn't.

I've tried pulling the cable that connects to the door handle direct, but that doesn't help either -- it does the same as pulling the door handle.

Any bright ideas?

Brie

VWlocksmith
06-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi there,

Sounds like the Paddle(Carrier) stuck out of the back of the lock that actually turns the internal workings of the lock has jammed in the LOCK position and keeping that door deadlocked.

If you can feel the back of the lock, you need to turn the paddle with something in the same direction that you would with the key to unlock, which looking from the outside of the car is CLOCKWISE.

Then Get a locksmith to fit new parts to the lock, and your back in business on the same key.