PDA

View Full Version : audi a3 cambelt head gasket nightmare

disappointed
02-07-2009, 09:24 PM
:zx11: Hi does anyone know of any problems getting hold of a head gasket for a 2003 audi a3 fsi sport? my cambelt went whilst driving 6 weeks ago (64K on clock)and i have been advised that this has obviously damaged the engine and needs new head gasket but they are thin on the ground. I have read that gaskets are a fault problem round this age for a4s , am disappointed that i will be left with a big bill again (1st a3 1.6 gear box destroyed)after only having the car coming up to 3 years -serviced mot etc and paid for a RAC inspection on buying. I love audi s to drive but am getting the feeling I am allergic to them !!!

paul b
03-07-2009, 10:21 PM
It'll need more than a headgasket. The only reason it needs a new headgasket is because you have to take the head off to inspect for damage to the valves and all other internal parts of the head. Used headgaskets cannot be refitted. New ones will always be available from the dealer.

Without wanting to sound like "oh I told you so" cambelt changes are 60k or 4 years whichever comes first (at least that's what I always knew it to be when I was in the trade, back in the day :)). If it had not been changed before, you were pushing your luck really.