PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking brakes

RSVr
01-07-2009, 09:43 PM
The garage has just changed the discs and pads on the B7 and since the front passanger side brakes sqeak when im not pressing the brake pedal........it stops when i press the brakes:confused:

I went back to the garage today and they said give it another 1000kms and if it continues to do the same thing then take it back to them........Do new discs/pads do this??

Thanks

Tim

spartacus 68
01-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Depends if they fitted the same type of discs and pads as before? Plenty makes to chose from, and all have various characteristics, depending on driving style.

The reason the squeak will stop when braking - is the piston is pressing the pads against the surface of the brake disc, in effect tightening the load on all components through pressure.

Assuming they're a reputable garage (you don't mention if they're an independent or main dealer), the guide pins sometimes get overlooked. It shouldn't happen but it does. These can become corroded or simply seize up due to insufficient lubrication, torn dust-sleeve, etc, which restricts the movement of the floating caliper, hence brake squeal. Also the anti-rattle springs on the pads themselves may not be sitting right.

Personally I wouldn't put up with it. You don't expect the brakes to be at their best, certainly for the initial bedding-in period, anything up to 500 miles. Thereafter there shouldn't be any squeaks, rattles or squeals. A liberal smear of Copper Ease on the rear of the pads, piston face and the edges of the brake carrier (where pads sit) will help. Take the car back is my advice.;)

spartacus 68
01-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Depends if they fitted the same type of discs and pads as before? Plenty makes to choose from, and all have various characteristics, depending on driving style.

The reason the squeak will stop when braking - is the piston is pressing the pads against the surface of the brake disc, in effect tightening the load on all components through pressure.

Assuming they're a reputable garage (you don't mention if they're an independent or main dealer), the slide pins sometimes get overlooked. It shouldn't happen but it does. These can become corroded or simply sieze up due to insufficient lubrication, torn dust-sleeve, etc, which restricts the movement of the floating caliper, hence brake squeal. Also the anti-rattle springs on the pads themselves may not be sitting right.

Personally I wouldn't put up with it. You don't expect the brakes to be at their best, certainly for the initial bedding-in period, anything up to 500 miles. Thereafter there shouldn't be any squeaks, rattles or squeals. A liberal smear of Copper Ease on the rear of the pads, piston face and the edges of the brake carrier (where pads sit) will help. Take the car back is my advice.;)

paul20v
01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Good quality pads should have anti squeal backings on them maybe these dont.

RSVr
02-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Good quality pads should have anti squeal backings on them maybe these dont.

They have the anti sqeual backing on them and the car came from a Large Saab Garage.

Ill keep an eye on it

Thanks alot guys for your replies

:beerchug: