PDA

View Full Version : S3 Help !!

Danni Boy
01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I appolagies now if this topic has been posted a million times before. First time using the site etc etc.

Basically i am looking at buying an S3 very soon, will be around the 2000 W/X.

However after reading up on a few forums there seems to be various models.

I jsut need a quick heads up really of what to look out for on them i.e normla bad points.

And what is a must have in the S3.

Cheers

Dan

merlin2002
01-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I appolagies now if this topic has been posted a million times before. First time using the site etc etc.

Basically i am looking at buying an S3 very soon, will be around the 2000 W/X.

However after reading up on a few forums there seems to be various models.

I jsut need a quick heads up really of what to look out for on them i.e normla bad points.

And what is a must have in the S3.

Cheers

Dan

Hi

have a read of this http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73146

that will get you started

on the s3 the only extra thing to look out for as i can see is the Haldex controler, but if you get a VAG-Com diagnostic cable etc then ur be able to see if there is any faults with it.

all the S3s up to about 2003 are around the same power once chipped, however if you have the cash and the time to shop around try to find a BAM or a AMK engine the APY engine is the slowest out of them but it really is minimal I have an APY engined S3 and im still happy, but then I did pay peanuts for it concidering!!!

Regards
Rob

SEMKY
01-07-2009, 11:50 PM
I have an APY remapped to approx 265, with 95K on the clock and she still pulls like a train and never fails to excite!!
You want Full leather or Leather/alcantara, ESP, preferably a facelift model (some point in 2000 I believe (jun?), but identifying features mainly being the headlights and rear lights).

In addition to the checks in the thread above........
The earlier ones have a cassette head unit called Concert, which has an issue with volume control...can be fixed for about 80 notes but worth considering. The facelift models have concert II I believe which don't have the volume issue.
Of course check all the usual things you would for any car...servicing, history, HPI, and even contact audi to find out exactly whats been done (assuming FASH).
Check all the panel gaps for misalignment...
Check the roof gutter strips for bubbling rust (a problem audi will sort for free if caught in time)
Check the bottom of the doors around the trim for evidence of corrosion.
Check Cambelt, waterpump, and tensioners have been done...bear in mind that audi now recommend no longer than 4 years between changes regardless of miles.
Drive in a circle on full lock to ensure that the Haldex is behaving...Should show fault codes anyway if there are problems.
Make sure the climate control works and gets properly cold.

Don't let this list put you off though....this is amassed from 3 years of reading forums like this of A3/S3 problems (not all personal experience ;)).

The only things mines cost me on (1999 APY 82-95k) have been a failed AC compressor, ball joints, clutch pedal (cheap fix....common on the six speed box cars..a small bracket breaks off the pedal and the pedal drops to the floor. New pedal required but it sometimes bends the clutch master cylinder pushrod too, which means that will need replacing too....all in I paid 200 quid) and servicing.

I love her! Fantastic motors...Good Choice!:beerchug:
Any questions, feel free to ask!

Danni Boy
07-07-2009, 01:48 PM
The only other thing that does worry me is the running costs.

As i will be travelling at least 50 miles a day for work mon - fri.

How often are the servicesand how muh also. If driven half sensible what kind of mileage to a tank are you getting and how much to fill it back up ?

Dan

merlin2002
07-07-2009, 07:07 PM
The only other thing that does worry me is the running costs.

As i will be travelling at least 50 miles a day for work mon - fri.

How often are the servicesand how muh also. If driven half sensible what kind of mileage to a tank are you getting and how much to fill it back up ?

Dan

i get around 20-22mpg street driving, and about 240miles a tank, obviously on motorway it will be much better

regards
Rob

SEMKY
08-07-2009, 03:52 AM
i get around 20-22mpg street driving, and about 240miles a tank, obviously on motorway it will be much better

regards
Rob

I spend most of my time in towns etc but average 27.2 mpg. On a motorway run that goes up to 32.....bearing in mind I sit generally in lane 3.

S3s are not too thirsty at all considering their weight and class!

Oh and those figures are based on running V-Power.