PDA

View Full Version : Extra Charge for oil on a service

Dirksdonuts
01-07-2009, 10:20 AM
:aargh4:On tuesday i took my father-in-laws VW Golf in for a service. This i had pre-booked and agreed for a 2 year long life service the fee of £159. This didi not include thier recommended air conditioning service for £75 or the brake fluid at another £75.

On picking the car up I was asked for £195.

When the bill was questioned as the orginal quote was £159 the service guy said are they forgot to add the cost of the oil to the quote. I said that i never asked for oil to be put in and he quite rightly said that its a part of any service so I said yes of course it is and it should be included in the quote........

After a bit of a discussion they then reduced the bill back to the £159.

Is this the norm being charged extra for oil on top of the service bill or what ?

xenon
02-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Normally a quote would be for parts and labour (unless otherwise stated) so I wouldn't expect to pay extra for oil.

zollaf
02-07-2009, 09:23 AM
a quote is a quote, in other words that is the price the job will be done for, unless the customer is advised and agrees to an increase first. an estimate is a pretty good idea of the final cost, but not exact like a quote is.most garages will usually provide an estimate rather than a quote to allow for the unforseen.but it is a bit silly to not include the basics like oil on a service estimate/quote.

sanjx
02-07-2009, 09:47 PM
im glad you didnt pay anymore then the original quote. sounds like they where just trying a fast one. ive had BMW's for many years and when a dealer quotes a service, it includes everything. on one occasion, they key was reporting i needed a brake fluid change and they quoted seperatly for it.