PDA

View Full Version : Glow plugs dont switch on

ghee60
07-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Well I have a problem, The glow plugs wont switch on when the temperature sensor on the side of the block is plugged in. If I unplug the sensor the glowplugs work.
I have replaced the sensor and the glowplug relay, and checked the terminals in the fuse box. They are all fine and pass a current if the sensor is plugged in or not.
The glow plug light on the dash comes on when the sensor is unplugged and doesnt when its plugged in.

So then everyone whats broken?

omore2000
24-08-2009, 06:10 PM
did you get to the bottom of the problem with the glow plugs, as i have the same problem.

:beerchug:

micheal balbrig
24-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Well I have a problem, The glow plugs wont switch on when the temperature sensor on the side of the block is plugged in. If I unplug the sensor the glowplugs work.
I have replaced the sensor and the glowplug relay, and checked the terminals in the fuse box. They are all fine and pass a current if the sensor is plugged in or not.
The glow plug light on the dash comes on when the sensor is unplugged and doesnt when its plugged in.

So then everyone whats broken?

I dont think anything is broken. As far as I know the glow plugs do not get a signal to operate until the temperature is much lower than at present
When the temperature drops to about six degrees they may operate.
They must get their signal through the blue temp sensor on side of engine.

omore2000
25-08-2009, 06:40 PM
yes i no, but even in the winter time it jst comes on and off straight away. i tested the temp sensor and it is ok, i even bought a new one and placed it in cold water, still no good.

realli starting to get to me......:zx11:

micheal balbrig
25-08-2009, 08:28 PM
yes i no, but even in the winter time it jst comes on and off straight away. i tested the temp sensor and it is ok, i even bought a new one and placed it in cold water, still no good.

realli starting to get to me......:zx11:

If its any help I did have your problem one winter and it was sorted by a new blue sensor. ( light stayed on for a longer period with new unit)I am not sure what keeps the glow plugs on for the predetermined time period but I expect it is a relay so maybe it may be faulty, Also check the metal fuse strip and glow plugs