PDA

View Full Version : Two problems... already !!!

73kingstonroad
30-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi all...

I love the car but I have two issues with it.

1. (very simple) Drivers side front fog grille isn't fitted correctly. One side is not flush with the body work.
2. (Major). On the way to Sheffield via the motorway with the cruise set to 80 (2800rpm) I noticed a kind of surging with the power of the engine.
Sometimes it was just now and again other times it got into a kind of rhythm.
This also happen at 90 (3000rpm) as well. I could watch the rev counter fall n rise by 200rpm whilst it was happening.
I turn the cruise control off but it still happened.
MPG on the run each way was about 27 / 29 so it wasn't using excessive fuel and the chrome trims were cleanish.
According to the ELSA report Audi had put 98RON petrol in, the dealer had put 95RON in and I topped it up with 98RON. (possibly not the issue)
I also noticed the gear would change up around this point (2800rpm) when driving around town (this may be normal).
I'll be ringing Audi up tomorrow and asking the question..
Have anyone any knowledge of this problem.
Thanks

Martin :( :1zhelp: :zx11:

RickT
30-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Sounds like the clutch could be slipping, but you would notice it at lower speeds...

Is it a auto?

Rick

73kingstonroad
01-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Yes...
S Tronic 7 speed.
It does feel like that.

Martin

B19RAK
01-07-2009, 10:02 AM
One of the characteristics of a box with more cogs then 5 is that it can tend to hunt around for optimal performance. I know i looked into the 7sp on a Merc E Class and many drivers reported a similar problem.

It could sort it self out if it adapts to your driving style or it could just be the way it is and you have to adapt to the box.

73kingstonroad
01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
One of the characteristics of a box with more cogs then 5 is that it can tend to hunt around for optimal performance. I know i looked into the 7sp on a Merc E Class and many drivers reported a similar problem.

It could sort it self out if it adapts to your driving style or it could just be the way it is and you have to adapt to the box.

Been in to our local Audi and registered the car there.

According to the guy, Audi is aware of the problem. Software issue with the gearbox ecu.

They will get back to me next week.

I have to see were and when it does it what revs, gear ect...

Martin

2.7 S-line
01-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I had a similar problem with my multitronic - revs seemed to lurch about when doing a steady 60-63 mph

dealer fixed it with a software update been fine since

73kingstonroad
01-07-2009, 05:44 PM
I had a similar problem with my multitronic - revs seemed to lurch about when doing a steady 60-63 mph

dealer fixed it with a software update been fine since

Great...

Yeh speed stays the same, it;s just the revs. seems only to happen in 7th gear.
Hopefully a software fix will be available soon.
I couldn't of put the fault in to better words than that... thanks :biglaugh:

Martin

73kingstonroad
03-07-2009, 06:02 AM
Hull Audi Have come back to me yesterday. They tell me that Audi in Germany are aware of the problem and should have a software update available by the end of the month. The problem lies in the ECU of the gearbox. This is similar to the problem they had on the early Multitronic gearbox.

Fingers crossed it won't be too long.

Martin

ScottyUK
03-07-2009, 07:50 AM
I know it's new for a dual clutch system for longitudinal Audi's but surely this should have been picked up by them prior to release.

We all hear of the 1000's of miles they do in testing so how does this seemingly basic issue slip through? Not good at all although glad it sounds like it will be resolved soon.

bodger1961
03-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Hi all...

I love the car but I have two issues with it.

1. (very simple) Drivers side front fog grille isn't fitted correctly. One side is not flush with the body work.
2. (Major). On the way to Sheffield via the motorway with the cruise set to 80 (2800rpm) I noticed a kind of surging with the power of the engine.
Sometimes it was just now and again other times it got into a kind of rhythm.
This also happen at 90 (3000rpm) as well. I could watch the rev counter fall n rise by 200rpm whilst it was happening.
I turn the cruise control off but it still happened.
MPG on the run each way was about 27 / 29 so it wasn't using excessive fuel and the chrome trims were cleanish.
According to the ELSA report Audi had put 98RON petrol in, the dealer had put 95RON in and I topped it up with 98RON. (possibly not the issue)
I also noticed the gear would change up around this point (2800rpm) when driving around town (this may be normal).
I'll be ringing Audi up tomorrow and asking the question..
Have anyone any knowledge of this problem.
Thanks

Martin :( :1zhelp: :zx11:
yES AT 3800 RPM SEE MY THREAD SORTED NOW THOU:o

73kingstonroad
03-07-2009, 09:12 PM
yES AT 3800 RPM SEE MY THREAD SORTED NOW THOU:o

I guess yours is a Auto then...

Martin

73kingstonroad
16-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi...
Not an up date just some info...

Here a couple of videos showing the problem I have (not my car)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xXsyVOAAx4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC6pxOqZFwE

And a german web site has a good thread on it...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/211ps-tfsi-quattro-s-tronic-ruckelt-und-pulsiert-mit-tempomat-t2221999.html&ei=01JeSq-kA5ShjAeH3t3jDQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=9&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ds%2Btronic%2Bproblems%26hl%3Den%26cli ent%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den-us%26sa%3DN%26start%3D60

Martin

73kingstonroad
03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
My local Audi dealer have rang today to say that an update to the S Tronic gearbox software is available.
I am having it done on Wednesday Am, so fingers crossed that will be the end of it.

As for the front fog light grille, I sorted that when I changed out my bulbs.

Martin

73kingstonroad
05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I have spoken to the master tech who is dealing with my problem.
He tells me that he has another Audi (Q5) with the same problem and that this update is the first of two that Audi are working on for the S Tronic gearbox. The other he say's is related to what Audi have called 'vibration' . This may well be for the same problem we are having. This other software update is some way off as yet, so it's a case of sitting and waiting to see what happens.
But I have just got back from a 30 mile run on the motorway after having the S Tronic software updated. Unfortunately it hasn't fixed the problem. I didn't get the full blown power surging / pulsing but it was defiantly there.
I would have to go on a long run to find out for sure as the surging / pulsing varies at times. Sometimes real strong other times hardly noticeable.
Today I found out another way of describing the problem.
Imagine your driving along at a steady pace and you drive through standing water on the road, you don't really slow down but it feels like the power has been taken away from you. That is how it feels to me.
Let me know your thoughts on it.
Martininwillerby

Hillbeley
06-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I get the surging on my 2.0T multironic avant SE, especially in Sport. 3 weeks old 3000 miles.

73kingstonroad
09-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I get the surging on my 2.0T multironic avant SE, especially in Sport. 3 weeks old 3000 miles.

There's a fix for that I believe. Have a search in google.

Martin

bodger1961
10-08-2009, 08:05 PM

Audi have softwear updates available, got my car done 3 weeks ago fine now:o

73kingstonroad
11-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi all...

Just had a call from my local Audi dealer saying that the second update for the problems I have is now available.
I have booked it in for Wednesday at 2pm
Fingers crossed that will be the end of it...

martin

73kingstonroad
16-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi all...
Just got back from having a software update on the engine.
B801A006 this is for the engine (intake issue) not the gearbox. This should fix the surging / pulsing issue at 80mph.
I had B802A010 last month for the S Tronic gearbox. This seems to have made the general driving worse, mainly upshifts and slipping clutch type of issue.

I've been for a test drive and I haven't noticed the problem, but then it was only a 30 mile round trip. I'm going to Meadowhall on Sunday with the family, so that should give me more of a chance to see whats what.

Martin

73kingstonroad
20-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi all...
Just got back from having a software update on the engine.
B801A006 this is for the engine (intake issue) not the gearbox. This should fix the surging / pulsing issue at 80mph.
I had B802A010 last month for the S Tronic gearbox. This seems to have made the general driving worse, mainly upshifts and slipping clutch type of issue.

I've been for a test drive and I haven't noticed the problem, but then it was only a 30 mile round trip. I'm going to Meadowhall on Sunday with the family, so that should give me more of a chance to see whats what.

Martin

Just got back from Meadowhall shopping centre. As for the surging problem I had, I would say it's 90% gone. I could only feel it if the road was totally flat and smooth, which the M18 has in parts. Just need to get the up shifts on the S Tronic sorted now.

Martin