PDA

View Full Version : Bora headlights

Tonye
07-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Can anyone tell me please whether the Angel eyes headlights are actually any better than the standard ones and whether they fit to a Bora without modifiaction?

Also I tried to fit one make of HID headlights but there was no way that the bulbs would fit into the headlights as the existing shroud was in the way. Does anyone know of a make which does fit?

Tony

01V5
08-04-2007, 12:58 PM
I've been looking for new headlights for a while now as mine are sun-scuffed and aren't clear... The Angel Eye set will fit on the Bora/Jetta, and they will look good only i see the Angel Eye as a trade mark of BMW so if i was to get them (which seems like the case) i will be disconnecting them completely. It looks good to have the main and high beams separate from each other.

As for the Xenon discharge. I knew of a few certain conversion kits that would fit the Bora/Jetta housing but can't remember them now.:( sorry! A bit of internet searching should bring up the right ones though.

ini
08-04-2007, 02:01 PM
An HID kit for a Bora with standard headlights would be an H4 bi-xenon setup.

Tonye
08-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes it was a bi-xenon kit I tried, but the bulbs fouled on the internal shroud in the light units. Whether all the bi-xenon kits are the same I do not know.

I am keen to improve the lights as they are seriously bad on dip beam and that must be down to the design of the reflectors in the light units.

I would be happy to change to the Angel Eye lights if they were good enough. I am not bothered particularly about the style aspects of the lights but there do not seem to be any comments on the forum about whether the Angel eyes have better beams or just look good.

Ther do seem to be a number of people who, like me find the standard lights poor so I was hoping people might have had success in solving the problem.

ini
08-04-2007, 11:13 PM
The 'Angel eyes' bit will not make a difference, although most seem to have a 'projector' style low beam.

The twin H7 style projector headlights do look better on the car, but you would probably get a bigger light output with a normal reflector headlight and some 'offroad' high powered H4 115/100 w or 100/90w bulbs.

If the bi-xenon kit you tried fouled on the reflector it cant have been the correct bulb type, as the xenon kits/bulbs designed for halogen enclosures have the same or smaller dimensions than the standard bulb + all importantly the correct focal lengths.

I had standard reflectors on my Audi A4 with H4 115/100w bulbs, then i changed to twin H7 projector headlights with an good HID kit.

Even though the xenon light is whiter and brighter, especially from the front, i still feel that my old lights with the 'offroad' bulbs put out more light.

01V5
10-04-2007, 04:06 AM
My headlights are so dim i normally drive with the fogs on, they produce more light closer to the car so all in all the light spread is more even.

ini
10-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Many cars have a very poor headlight harness, or one that has degraded over time.

A common solution for brighter headlights, especially if you are fitting high wattage bulbs, is to replace the wires in your headlight loom with a thicker gauge wire, with a localised earth point.

The easiest method, and the one that i use, is a small heavy gauge circuit with a relay, connecting the headlights directly to the battery and an earth point in the engine bay, so that when i turn the headlights on, power is drawn straight from the battery. (not through the tiny wires of the headlight loom)