PDA

View Full Version : Dab radio in mk6 golf

johannes Eedla
30-06-2009, 06:07 AM
:confused:HI i AM NEW TO THE FORUM, i HAVE JUST ORDERED THE NEW GTI IN CANDY WHITE ,I ASKED THE SALES MAN IF I COULD UPGRADE THE SOUND SYSTEM TO A DAB RADIO ? BECAUSE FM IS GOING OFF AIR IN ABOUT TWO TO THREE YEARS TIME AND HE SAID HE DID NOT THINK SO .
SO WHAT HAPPENS THEN ,( NO RADIO)

maisbitt
30-06-2009, 08:13 AM
DAB is an option, especially if you go for the RCD510 (which is excellent), not sure whether you can DAB the standard radio.

I've heard rumours of analogue radio going off air in around 3 years time. but I can't see it happening, DAB has such poor take up on domestic radios and Hifi, and there are almost no cars that have it. Radio relys on commercial funding. If there is no one listening because they don't have DAB then the commercial people will pull the plug on funding the radio shows and it will all collapse.

Devices with FM radio are still selling strong, whereas DAB devices aren't selling any faster.

I can't see FM being dead in 3 years time.

Robbie G
30-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Analogue off in 3 years? No chance. Although I wouldn't panic too much because even if it does happen, there'll be numerous (and cheaper) DAB upgrade options for cars flying about all over the place.

maisbitt
30-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I wonder whether all this confusion started with the analogue TV systems all being completely switched to digial by 2012?

I just can't see it happening with radio anytime soon, there is no great uptake of DAB right now. I have a Hifi with DAB, and hardly ever use the DAB band as i'm not keen on the majority of the selection of stations.

If it did happen, i'm sure those with a multi-in in their front armrest would be able to plug a DAB unit through that when someone makes one.

Kremmen
01-07-2009, 07:13 AM
There are legal moves afoot to ensure that all new cars from 2013 are fitted with DAB radios prior to a rumour of analogue being turned off circa 2015.

The current problem is that the UK and western Europe have different DAB standards (VHS v Betamax syndrome).

This needs to be sorted before the manufacturers can/will fit DAB as standard.

Products like the Highway are OK but you end up with a not very efficient and ugly clothes line aerial hanging across the dash

ralferoo
01-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Also, I'd have really liked to have had DAB with my new mk6, but I wasn't willing to forego the MDI interface because USB and ipod will be much more useful to me. Seems strange that we can't have both unless the DAB radio is just a bolt on to the radio that uses the same connection to the radio as the MDI.

cs2009
01-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Also, I'd have really liked to have had DAB with my new mk6, but I wasn't willing to forego the MDI interface because USB and ipod will be much more useful to me. Seems strange that we can't have both unless the DAB radio is just a bolt on to the radio that uses the same connection to the radio as the MDI.

I have DAB, but still have the iPod connector in the arm rest.

VictorPapa
01-07-2009, 11:08 AM
I have DAB, but still have the iPod connector in the arm rest.

:confused::confused::confused: I have DAB but a blanking rubber where the connector would be. Doesn't bother me too much cos I use a couple of large SD cards in the 510 slot instead.

Robbie G
01-07-2009, 12:24 PM
There are legal moves afoot to ensure that all new cars from 2013 are fitted with DAB radios prior to a rumour of analogue being turned off circa 2015.

Source?

Kremmen
01-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Source?

It was either Auto Express or the latest Which? magazine (can't remember which one I read it in now). There was quite a good article about the whole fiasco.

It's also covered quite well >> HERE << (http://www.screenafrica.com/news/industry/182060.htm)

netherfield
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
We have DAB with the 310 Radio,but have been told you can't have the iPod connecter in conjunction with this setup,personally not bothered about that because I don't have/don't want one.

Here in West Yorkshire we seem to have very good coverage with DAB,on another website I have just been reading about people complaining because the coverage is rubbish.

The Golf will no doubt have gone to pastures new before we have problems on the radio front, I also have a 3 year old Phaeton which I sort of intended to keep for a good number of years yet,that has the Radio built in to the Satnav setup so who knows how much that may cost to replace,or if will even be an option by the time 2015 comes around.

Having just looked on the VW site,DAB is only available with either the 310 or 510 radio systems,which are available in any car if you want to pay.

johannes Eedla
01-07-2009, 05:26 PM
thanks for your replies , the bumph from vw states DAB digital radio receiver DVD touch screen navigation/radio system cannot be specified in conjunction with each other.lets all hope FM stays from what i have heard DAB is not all it is cracked up to be ( no tone the bandwidth is to narrow)

Kremmen
02-07-2009, 07:31 AM
I've got a Pure DAB radio at home and it's perfectly OK. However, it's no better than FM in my area and portable DAB radio's eat batteries (typically 20 hours and that's your lot).

Fortunately in cars the battery issue won't be a problem.

The main advantage seems to be the additional services that can be offered, presumably via radio text.

Just the thing you need when you need to keep your eyes on the road ;)

ralferoo
06-07-2009, 01:30 PM
I have DAB, but still have the iPod connector in the arm rest.Do you mean the AUX IN or the full MDI where the ipod/USB lead plugs in?

cs2009
06-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Do you mean the AUX IN or the full MDI where the ipod/USB lead plugs in?

Both. It has the AUX IN on the front of the armrest, and inside the armrest is the MDI socket which currently has a USB lead plugged into it.

The rest of the system in my car is RCD510 + Dynaudio + DAB

Chris.

VictorPapa
06-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Both. It has the AUX IN on the front of the armrest, and inside the armrest is the MDI socket which currently has a USB lead plugged into it.

The rest of the system in my car is RCD510 + Dynaudio + DAB

Chris.

Lucky boy then because VW say that you lose the MDI and AUX socket if you have DAB. I have the RCD510 with DAB and have neither input.

cs2009
07-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Lucky boy then because VW say that you lose the MDI and AUX socket if you have DAB. I have the RCD510 with DAB and have neither input.

Interesting.
Maybe it's a recent change. My car was built during week 23 (early June).

Chris.

CharlesCourtney
07-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Interesting.
Maybe it's a recent change. My car was built during week 23 (early June).

Chris.

My Golf Plus built in November 2008 has a RCD 510 with DAB and AUX socket.

Charles

ralferoo
07-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Interesting. Maybe it's a recent change. My car was built during week 23 (early June).
The brochure from April states that you lose MDI if you get DAB. I think you must have just got lucky somehow. ;)

Kremmen
09-07-2009, 07:36 AM
From my custom builds you lose quite a bit if you select DAB. Especially other custom options.

I'm looking at SatNav and Bluetooth so I can't have DAB, as far as I can tell.

cs2009
09-07-2009, 09:08 AM
The brochure from April states that you lose MDI if you get DAB. I think you must have just got lucky somehow. ;)

I've just had clarification from VW UK on this. See the emails below:

Good Afternoon, Thank you for your recent email.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, this is not a change to the
vehicle, this used to happen on the car when you order the DAB then the iPod
connection would be removed, but this has now been improved and you are now
able to have both on the vehicle.

Regards

Sean Dunleavy
Volkswagen

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 07 July 2009 13:43
To: enquiries, VW
Subject: Message from the Volkswagen Website 'Contact Us' Page - General
Enquiry

In the brochure for the new Golf, it states that if you specify the DAB
upgrade, you lose the MDI (iPod) connection in the armrest.

However my Golf, purchased June 2009, has both (along with RCD510+Dynaudio).
Is this a recent change to the Golf specification ?

AdC
09-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Just curious, as I've already ordered mine without DAB, but is it any good? Does it drop its signal? Does it occasionally make that funny 'metallic' breaking up sound like early tv satellite receivers?

And if it is any good, can the VW OEM parts be retrofitted? Ta'.

cs2009
09-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Just curious, as I've already ordered mine without DAB, but is it any good? Does it drop its signal? Does it occasionally make that funny 'metallic' breaking up sound like early tv satellite receivers?

And if it is any good, can the VW OEM parts be retrofitted? Ta'.

I think it is worth the extra £55.

There is a noticeable improvement in sound quality when switching from FM to DAB, although you may only benefit if you also have the Dynaudio system.

I find that drop outs only occur at extreme range from the transmitters, and even then, the auto switch-over to FM is pretty seemless.

Chris.

CharlesCourtney
09-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I think it is worth the extra £55.

There is a noticeable improvement in sound quality when switching from FM to DAB, although you may only benefit if you also have the Dynaudio system.

I find that drop outs only occur at extreme range from the transmitters, and even then, the auto switch-over to FM is pretty seemless.

Chris.

I have the DAB with / on my RCD 510 without Dynaudio and can confirm the noticeable improvement in sound quality with DAB as to FM.

AdC
09-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks cs2009 and Charles. I didn't order it as I didn't want to lose the iPod connectivity and now it's too late as the car is 'confirmed'. So I'll add the DAB to the Dynaudio on my 'Things-I-wish-I'd-ordered-but-didn't" list...

Maybe the sat-nav installation boys will start offering the oem DAB as well?

Martinio
14-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone,

I noticed a lot of confusion about the DAB and MDI options!

DAB and MDI are both available with the RCD510 and RCD310! They don't mutually exclude each other. The DAB tuner is built in into the headunit, the MDI uses an external interface.

The confusion is just because the MDI is standard in the golf.
You can save 100pound when using the option DAB INSTEAD of the MDI. That's usefull for people who don't have an iPod.

Or you can ADD DAB to the MDI, then DAB costs 165pounds (not 55). That's all!

So DAB and MDI go together, no exception!

Hope I could help!

AdC
14-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks, but does anyone know any aftermarket DAB box installers (preferably OEM), to go with the RCD510 I've ordered?

Ta'...

Martinio
14-07-2009, 03:34 PM
The best and easiest way is to order a RCD510 unit with the integrated DAB Tuner and sell your unit without the DAB tuner, e.g. on ebay (maybe in germany or elsewhere).

There are no external boxes for the RCD available and since there is a DAB version available no one will develop an external box...

of course you can use a pure highway but the performance dosn't reach the fully integrated rcd510.

changing the headunit is not complicated, I'm sure any VW dealer will do it for you!

cdgthreesalmons
14-07-2009, 06:11 PM
I have recently ordered a Golf with touchscreen/sat nav and was thinking about DAB.

Why cant you have both?

Martinio
14-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Hi,

the RNS510 sat/nav is a totally different system than the RCD510. Unfortunately there is currently no VW OEM sat/nav system with an integrated DAB tuner available.

I'm sure VW will release a sat/nav with an integrated DAB tuner, so in the future an upgrade to a DAB System should be possible!

As I said before, most of the headunits can be swapped pretty easily...

cdgthreesalmons
18-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Just sent a message to VW asking why you can have both together and it if will be possible to upgrade in the future for DAB SatNav?