PDA

View Full Version : Question Cutting out - golf clipper

sjr21uk
29-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Please can someone help? I have a 1800 cc 1993 MK2 golf clipper. It has been cutting out when running hot. I have had it serviced, a new cam belt and a webber conversion done.

When i drive the problem only happens when the engine is hot. It happened really quickly yesterday in hot weather, but takes about 40 minutes when its cold weather/

While driving, the revs drop to zero. Sometimes it goes bang, like it is back firing. I also get a smell of petrol. If I wait a few minutes I can drive of like normal, but then it will happen again in a few minutes.

I am not sure what else to do, I cant afford to spend much more money on it. Any thoughts would be appreicated. The distributer module has been suggested to me.

Thanks
Simon

Crasher
29-06-2009, 10:03 PM
By Clipper you mean a Golf cabrio?

johnnyp239
29-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi Simon, i had this exact same problem on a 1988 mk1 convertable. I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel pressure transducer, and still nothing, it was eventually traced to a fuel return pipe to the tank from the fuel injection unit. it was split so it was just sucking in air and not returning fuel to the pump, So the pump was just filling with air after 20-30 mins or so the car would stop, I would then let car sit for 10 mins then it would run again.

hope this helps.

JP

sjr21uk
29-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi. It is a cabriolet, yes. Any thoughts?

sjr21uk
29-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi johnny, mine does not have an injection. Do you know if there could be something similar on mine? Thanks for your comments. Its give me more ideas.

Crasher
30-06-2009, 10:55 AM
As it is a Golf Cabrio you have the car in the wrong section, it is a Golf 1 not a Golf 2.

Jonnp239-this car has a carburettor, not fuel injection.

Take off the fuel filler cap and examine the condition of the neck to see if it is corroded, use a low voltage torch for this.

vwcool
05-07-2009, 12:51 PM
As it is a Golf Cabrio you have the car in the wrong section, it is a Golf 1 not a Golf 2.

Jonnp239-this car has a carburettor, not fuel injection.

Take off the fuel filler cap and examine the condition of the neck to see if it is corroded, use a low voltage torch for this.
yes but the engine and stuff are used from a mk2 golf,mine is a 1985 cabrio,its a rare 1.3 from italy and the engine code is hk like the mk2 golf,polo ect i always ask advice on the mk2 part of this forum because the engine is mk2 sounds mad but its true.we are probably the only users here that need to refere to mk1 and mk2 threds.

Crasher
05-07-2009, 12:56 PM
The most likely cause of your problem is fuel starvation and a classic cause of this is a corroded fuel filler neck as it is made of steel. The Golf 2 has a plastic fuel tank and so cannot suffer from this problem.