PDA

View Full Version : A3 1.8 T, and the oil warning light

RedZed2009
29-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi all, this is my first post and apologies for diving in with a plea for advice.

My wife has had her Audi from new, purchased in 2001 and has only 34,500 miles on the clock. It has always had Castrol Long life / Edge fully synthetic oil and this has been changed once a year or if the service interval comes up. The car gets mainly short runs as Mum's taxi and only sometimes gets a run when I get hold of it.

Occasionally the oil light comes up on start up and goes after a few seconds, and does not come up at any other time. This first started a year ago at about its service time, with an oil change and new oil and filter, it went away... but has come back twice now, but it is again around its service time.

A friend who has a A4 1.8T said he had a similar issue and he ended up with a destroyed engine and he recommended changing the oil pump. Therefore I have the car booked in for the oil pump to be changed and this will cost £391 parts and labour.... ouch! I understand the sump pan needs to come off and the oil pump is £147 alone.

I just wanted to ask if any one else has had a similar issue and is this common with this engine?. The oil does not look too good, so maybe it is just an oil and filter change or should I go for the pump as well.. ???

I suppose the pump would be assurance for the engine to have it done... I suppose I have answered my own question.. but appreciate your views.

Many thanks in advance

kenney
29-06-2009, 09:54 PM
By replacing the pump,oil and filter,you will be saving a lot of cash,that you might have had to pay for a new engine:approve:

RedZed2009
30-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Quizzing my wife as the the actual 'oil light' that was showing (I have never seen this) it turns out that the ORANGE "OIL SENSOR" indicator come up. Looking at the hand book I think she means YELLOW "OIL SENSOR" symbol which is a different fault all together. I will chat to the guy who services our cars and see what he has to say...

My wife is blond, bless her

RedZed2009
12-07-2009, 04:19 PM
I have had the engine oil drained, flushed and new oil.... no problems since... looks like it was just sludge build up.

naquiss
13-07-2009, 10:21 AM
How did you flush it? Did you use plain motor oil or an additive to thin the oil first?

SEMKY
13-07-2009, 11:16 AM
I have had the engine oil drained, flushed and new oil.... no problems since... looks like it was just sludge build up.

Have heard of sludge build up on these engines actually, but usually on the A4s, as the engines mounted longitudinally I believe. My neighbours A4 suffered the engine failure as a result.
Apparently a contributor to the sludge is not allowing the turbo to cool before shutting the engine off....oil cooks in the lines then sludge returns to the sump on re-starting.

Glad you're sorted anyhow!

RedZed2009
13-07-2009, 08:09 PM
How did you flush it? Did you use plain motor oil or an additive to thin the oil first?

Not sure how it was done, I took it to an Audi independent who did it for me and serviced the car at the same time.

I will be changing the oil every 3,000 miles now or yearly which ever comes first. The A3 is my wifes car (bought for me really with the 1.8T ;)). We have had it since new and only has about 36,000 miles on the clock... too much slow running which can't be good for it.

I use Castrol Edge which is fully synthetic which I believe you have to use for the turbo engines

RedZed2009
13-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Have heard of sludge build up on these engines actually, but usually on the A4s, as the engines mounted longitudinally I believe. My neighbours A4 suffered the engine failure as a result.
Apparently a contributor to the sludge is not allowing the turbo to cool before shutting the engine off....oil cooks in the lines then sludge returns to the sump on re-starting.

Glad you're sorted anyhow!

I think you are right, my independent dealer said the A4 1.8T's suffer from the sludge build up, obviously for the reason you have stated. I will change the oil very regularly to ensure the car gets looked after best I can.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated

Dee-GTI
14-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Its not just the audis that do this, but all the 1.8 T,s through the VAG range. I hate that long life schedule.