PDA

View Full Version : Tiguan will it fit in a standard single garage

mr pastry
29-06-2009, 06:57 PM
I have been looking at the Tiguan and wonder if there are any problems fitting it in a standard 7 feet wide garage as there is no folding mirror option

Thanks for any replies

33q
30-06-2009, 12:51 PM
It will fit. But not easily.

I am lucky enough to have two garages. One with a standard width door. One with a wider door but poorer access, ie a turn on the drive.

I really like to garage my cars so I asked to try one in my garage. It fitted but only by manually folding the mirror in. It very much depends if you have an up and over door...and if you have 'arms' restricting the width.

I decided to use the wider door even with a slightly more difficult access. ...but not everyone can choose

Ask you dealer. And still buy fom the cheapest...I did.

PS A freelander is bigger!!

mr pastry
30-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Many thanks for your helpful reply !!

Yes I will try to get a days test drive from a dealer as I think that will be the only way to find out if it will go in !!
I think its a standard garage door and if I like the Tiguan enough may change the door for a roller door which should give me another 2-5 inches each side as the frame is removed

What is your opinion of the Tiguan are you happy with it ???

Many Thanks

33q
30-06-2009, 08:59 PM
A roller door may do the trick. My friend did this to make it easier to get his Golf in.

I did consider the roller option but scrappng two very good Upvc doors and all the electrics is painful!

I do quite like the Tig. I have a TDI 170 SE. It's very quick if you want. It cruises nicely and it's fairly quiet. I went for the SE as the ride is softer. I think it handles ok.

The boot is not massive but more than enough for us two! 4 wheel drive was great in the snow...but 4x4 doesn't improve your ability to stop in such conditions.

I get an average of 37 mpg. I've done almost 10,000 miles and the consumption continues to improve slightly. My fuel computer over reads by up to 10%....my friend's GOlf does too. I always do brim to brim and I use premium fuel eg Ulimate or Excellium.....always have in all my diesels

Take a test drive and if you like it I suspect you will not be disappointed.

mr pastry
30-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Looking at the SE 140 Tdi automatic !! I did take one on a quick 5 minute run ( but a manual )and it did seem a nice easy drive which I was surprised at for a 4x4 !! but I feel if you are spending that type of money you need to be sure its right for you .
I also checked on servicing costs and they were not out of the way in price !!

Tyres are quite pricey ( but to be expected on a 4X4) how many miles do people get out there tyres

Thanks 33q for your comments

33q
01-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I had a puncture at 4000 miles. I shopped around to replace the standard fit Bridgestone like for like for £115 all in from Kwik Fit. About £165 if you don't pick up the phone!

mr pastry
02-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks for your help !! will post back if I take the plunge :confused:

mr pastry
06-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Well just to update the thread I had a test drive in a Tiguan Sport 140 Tdi automatic and found it a really well built car !! It is quite compact in dimensions and I think it would be okay to get in the garage as you are sitting in a high driving position you have got good visibility

Unfortunately i just did not like the car I felt the gear changes were not smooth enough and coming out at a junction there was a bit of a lag .
I am sure there are many happy drivers of Tiguans and found the diesel manual was a really good drive I cannot believe how different they were

But thanks for the advice