PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox/Clutch Woes

Racehunter
29-06-2009, 03:56 PM
So here is the problem. My wife's pride and joy, a 2005 registered facelift manual 1.6 cabrio will not go into gear with the engine running. She had pulling out of our drive in reverse and was unable to move to 1st gear after that. At first I thought that the clutch had failed, but as a check, I switched off the engine, selected reverse, then started up with my foot on the clutch (and brake!!).

I was able to move the car backwards using normal clutch control, so then tried to select a forward gear, to no avail. I can only move into any gear with the engine off. As the car is out of warranty by 7 months I thought I should check to see if this is a known problem before resorting to a potentially huge investigation bill at my VW dealer. Incidentally the car has only done 13000 miles and is fully dealer serviced, and my wife is p***ed off!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

kenney
29-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Quote (I can only move into any gear with the engine off) What happens when you select first gear and let the clutch out?

Racehunter
29-06-2009, 04:19 PM
I knew I had missed something!! I can move the car with 'normal' clutch control when in gear and engine running, although to be fair I have only moved it a few yards, but my reasoning was to see if I still had a clutch. However afterwards, I cannot get it out of gear without switching the engine off.

kenney
29-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Does the pedal feel normal ?

Racehunter
29-06-2009, 04:54 PM
I do not drive the car very much, but to my feel, it is light. My wife says it is about normal. I have just checked that the master cylinder push rod bracket has not come adrift of the pedal, as I have been told this happens on Golfs and A3's, but the push rod movement is linear with the pedal movement. While out with the car I put it into gear, started it and I would say that it is noisier in gear, clutch down, than not in gear. Also there is a slight smell of friction material or something similar as I carried out this check.

Does this model have a dual mass flywheel?

kenney
29-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't want to sound pessimistic,but, it does sound as if you have a clutch failure.

Racehunter
29-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Must admit that was my first thought. Not total failure but maybe a cracked diaphragm spring.

Now to call VAG customer service to see if there is any 'goodwill' anywhere!

Racehunter
02-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Latest update: VW Customer Service stated that they would only consider goodwill if a main dealer investigated the problem, so the car was recovered to my supplying dealer. I had a phone call the following day from a service receptionist to ask my permission to take the gearbox off the car and made me aware that I would be liable for the labour (and parts if needed) if there was no goodwill. I accepted but asked that the parts be kept so I could see them as my background is in race car engineering and if needed could have the parts independantly assessed by my contacts. The receptionist then responded 'I am a pilot but you don't find me advising at air accident sites' Obviously well versed in the finer points of customer service.

Anyway, a call later found me in the workshop looking at the clutch. A spring had failed on the cover plate and at that point I was told 'wear and tear'. I suggested that it was material failure and that they should talk to customer service. They agreed to do this and promised to call me back.

The call back simply was to say that there was no goodwill from VW but they (the dealer) had put together a deal that I would find good. 10% off parts and labour still leaving me with a bill of £738. I find this totally unacceptable and wondered if anyone had successfully argued against a similar case?

I now wish I had taken the car to an independant garage :confused:

Racehunter
02-07-2009, 09:59 AM
I have just been able to take a picture of the clutch fault. The broken spring sits between the diaphragm spring and the pivot pegs. This half 'fractured and fell out'