PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 1.8T 1998 clutch pedal down again?

mahendraptl
29-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi,

i have a 1998 1.8T A3 where the clutch pedal fell to the floor after parking up. I lifted the pedal up but after pressing it with my foot it stayed down.

i had this problem about a year ago and had to have it towed to a VW independant ie Lazlo Continental autospares in South Harrow. They replaced the clutch slave cylinder back in May 2008 but i can't believe its happened again?

i've called up Lazlo's and they said its strange that it could be the same problem. their's normally a guarantee on these products buts it been over a year since the last time and they said that they would need to look into it.

does anyone have any idea's? :confused:

cheers

merlin2002
29-06-2009, 05:41 PM
does sound like the slave cylinder, but could also be the master cylinder, have a look about for a fluid leak?

Rob

kite
29-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Look for broken bits in the footwell, could be a broken pedal.

naquiss
01-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Broken clutch pedals are common on these cars. Its caused by a weak bracket on the pedal itself.

mahendraptl
03-07-2009, 11:32 AM
I've had local mechanic look at it and he's replaced both the master and the slave - the slave had fluid seepage! its over a year old ie the slave cylinder so i guess i can't report this back to Lazlo's!?
thanks for the suggestions. Cheers!

sdk778
24-07-2009, 01:04 AM
Could also be the release bearing going through the fingers on the clutch plate, basically it goes throug and then sticks on the other side of the fingers causing the weak pedals to break, how old is your clutch? If it has done circa 90,000 then drop the box off and change it or you will be changing pedals for an eternity, trust me.:beerchug:

Si.