PDA

View Full Version : Question MY2010 LSD Effect

Hillbeley
28-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Can any of the lucky few who have received a MY2010 with 2.0T and limited slip diffs say what effect it has on the torque steer mentioned by many on the MY2009? I am about to get a 2.0T FWD avant and have been concerned about the comments on TS.

B19RAK
28-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Would my MY 2.0 TDi 143 have it? No wheel spin yesterday in the wet.

Hillbeley
29-06-2009, 06:18 PM
According to the info at the link below (originally by ScottyUK?) it should be.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul_scott/A4_MY2010_Changes.pdf

jakerade
29-06-2009, 06:47 PM
umm "electronic limited slip differential". Sounds like a modified ESP rather than a mechanical device.

I wonder if thats a software upgrade they could apply to all cars or modified ABS pump? Either way i suspect it will involve getting away from the line slower. Perhaps the techs could advise?

Hillbeley
29-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Jakerade, thanks for the clue - I found this on another site:
http://www.fourtitude.com/blog/esp_lsd.jpg
Here's the link to the full thread:http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=4324605

jakerade
30-06-2009, 10:05 PM
umm - sounds like a posh name for traction control to me. My Porsche has a mechanical LSD and thats a completely different kettle of fish - you can feel it crabbing when reversing on gravel and it really puts the power down when you accelerate out of a corner.

B19RAK
01-07-2009, 09:56 AM
What ever it is, it works very well. When i took delivery on Friday we had heavy rain. The tyres also had the new glaze on them so not the most grippy straight out of the box.

All of the above would normally cause some wheel spinning but the A4 was very smooth pulling away and no wheel spin problems. The car understeered on the limit very slightly but it was very wet. In the dry i'm quite surprised how good the fwd is.

jakerade
01-07-2009, 10:08 AM
question for A8 Tech then. Is this new ABS kit (sensors etc) or is it a software upgrade?

ScottyUK
01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
What ever it is, it works very well. When i took delivery on Friday we had heavy rain. The tyres also had the new glaze on them so not the most grippy straight out of the box.

All of the above would normally cause some wheel spinning but the A4 was very smooth pulling away and no wheel spin problems. The car understeered on the limit very slightly but it was very wet. In the dry i'm quite surprised how good the fwd is.

A LSD doesn't suddenly add traction that's not already there. It simply ensures the wheel that can put it down does. This means it will eliminate spin from one wheel but f the conditions were slippery and you was pushing hard then you should have had the ESP on and power cut back.

It's very hard to judge but I can't see how a LSD with new tyres on wet roads so be so much different to scrubbed in tyres in the dry without LSD. It just doesn't seem to make sense.

I guess I'll have to go up to a dealers to try one and see the difference :D