PDA

View Full Version : No Reverse light ?????

RickT
28-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi,

The reverse light on the car stopped working months ago,

I have changed the bulb to no avail.

Checked the socket voltage when reverse is selected and nothing.....

We have removed the sensor from the top of the gear box and bridged the connector to "trick" the car that the reverse gear has been selected as previously recommend and still nothing ??

After putting it back together we had forgot we need to check the voltage on the sensor to see if that is sending the power to light it up??

if its a break in the wiring, anyone know of any common places apart from the boot hinge?

Cheers

Rick

kenney
28-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Check fuse 4 on fuse holder C- Reversing light bulb

RickT
28-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Cheers,

I currently dont have the manual to hand (already packed up for the house move) which states the fuse numbers,

Do you know if the fuse number start left to right?

Also, Fuse box A is the dash one, Fuse Box B is in the engine bay,,,, Where's holder "C" ??

Cheers

Rick

RickT
28-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi,

Found the manual, it was in the last box i packed up today..

Picture below...

Any advice?

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/FUSES.jpg

Cheers

Rick

kenney
28-06-2009, 09:25 PM
From left to right top row nr 4 5A fuse.
Fuses in engine compartment
Fuses (SA) on fuse holder A
Fuses (SB) on fuse holder B
Fuses in interior
Fuses (SC) in fuse holder, dash panel

RickT
28-06-2009, 09:31 PM
From left to right top row nr 4 5A fuse.
Fuses in engine compartment
Fuses (SA) on fuse holder A
Fuses (SB) on fuse holder B
Fuses in interior
Fuses (SC) in fuse holder, dash panel

Thanks for that, so fuse 4, from top left.

I will go out and look now,

Thanks

RickT
28-06-2009, 09:33 PM
The manual says fuse 4 is for heated seating?

see below..

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/FUSES001.jpg

I will nip out and check it now.

Cheers

Rick

RickT
28-06-2009, 09:44 PM
i have just been out and checked the fuse, it looks perfect.

The fuse box appears to be a mirror of the document from the manual.

if fuses read, 1,2,3 etc from right to left.

Thanks

Rick

RickT
28-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Right..

Done a bit more testing..

Check fuse 4, OK

Re-checked bulbs, swapped reverse light and rear fog light, both bulbs work OK.

Swaped bulb holder from reverse to Fog and vice verse - Bulb holder "OK"

Pic below of fuse box.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/FUSEBOX.jpg

Cheers

Rick

kenney
28-06-2009, 10:04 PM
The manual is identical to Elsa,which is pictured for LHD vehicles,the fuse covers various functions,depending on equipment.I think before you go any further,you need to find out if there is power coming to the switch,check the black on blue wire for power. these are some of the functions - Heater/heat output switch
G65 - High-pressure sender
J131 - Heated driver seat control unit
J132 - Heated front passenger seat control unit
J255 - Climatronic control unit
K216 - Stabilisation program warning lamp 2
M17 - Reversing light bulb
E422 - Tyre pressure monitor display button

RickT
28-06-2009, 10:10 PM
I think before you go any further,you need to find out if there is power coming to the switch,check the black on blue wire for power.

Cheers,

I will check that tomorrow night and report back.

Cheers

Rick

RickT
02-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Just checked fuse 31 as advised by Kenny, and the fuse is ok..

This weekend i will check the wiring..

Rick

RickT
14-07-2009, 09:37 AM
I have still not had chance to sort this..

Question.. am i right in thinking you don't need the reverse light for the MOT?

Cheers

Rick

RickT
14-07-2009, 06:45 PM
right..

Been out to test the sensor, as mentioned eariler, when "we" did this, it was more my mate, however i have been looking and cant find the reverse switch sensor,

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Rick

RickT
14-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Any ideas where the reverse light sender switch is??

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/14072009238.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/14072009239.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/14072009240.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/14072009241.jpg

Also... one further question...

Whats the gear box code in the 1.9TDI 105 - 2004 ?

Cheers

Rick

RickT
16-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Any ideas where the sensor / sender switch is ?????

Cheers

Rick

kenney
16-07-2009, 05:24 PM
It is on the gear selector unit,remove the air filter housing to access.There are a few gearboxes used with this model the code is stamped on the gearbox housing just in front of the gear selector unit,or in the vehicles service book,or on the sticker in the boot

RickT
16-07-2009, 08:19 PM
It is on the gear selector unit,remove the air filter housing to access.There are a few gearboxes used with this model the code is stamped on the gearbox housing just in front of the gear selector unit,or in the vehicles service book,or on the sticker in the boot

Cheers Kenny.

I removed the top cover of the air filter housing the other day and then started on the second half of it but the "heavens" opened and i started to get wet.... I should of started the job in the garage!!

Cheers

Rick

DaddyA
26-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Hi,

didi you get to the bottom of this problem as I've got the same??

Cheers Daz

RickT
26-10-2009, 03:09 PM
HI There,

I replaced the sensor on the gearbox, cost around a tenner from ALL GERMAN PARTS - (see forum supplier section), however this did not resolve the issue, ( i knew it would not after testing it, but fitted it anyway as I already had the part when i stripped it down to test.)

The only other option now is theres a break in the wire somewhere...

QUESTION -- Does anyone know if the BULB goes on the reverse light, should the alert come on ??

Reason is, even when the bulb is removed, the bulb warning for it does not come on ?

If there was a break in the wire would the warning come on ??

Cheers

Rick

kenney
26-10-2009, 03:28 PM
no it won't,will have a look at the diagram later and see if i can give you any tips

RickT
26-10-2009, 03:40 PM
no it won't,will have a look at the diagram later and see if i can give you any tips

Cheers Kenny,

Rick

kenney
26-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Remove the contact on the reverse light switch and bridge the 2 terminals,with the ignition on, check if you have 12v on the bridge,if so, see if the reverse light works,if not, apply 12v,to the bridge see then if the reverse light works,and we can take it from there

Pit Dweller
26-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Have you got auto dimming interior mirror and rain sensor fitted?

polo2002
26-10-2009, 09:58 PM
If you put the front wipers on and select reverse gear the rear wiper should swipe, this may eliminate some of your suspect wiring, proving that the ecu is seeing the switch.:confused:

RickT
27-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Remove the contact on the reverse light switch and bridge the 2 terminals,with the ignition on, check if you have 12v on the bridge,if so, see if the reverse light works,if not, apply 12v,to the bridge see then if the reverse light works,and we can take it from there

Cheers, --
I have just "texted" my mate how looked at it to confirm as i think there were no power when we bridged it ? (it was a few weeks ago.)

I will try and strip it down tonight and test again..

Cheers

Rick

RickT
02-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Right.

Made some progress...

Bridged the connections on the switch and its dead,

Tested the wiriing front to back too using a test wire and the reverse light works using power from the battery.

Therefore, the problem is that the switch connectors has no power.

Eariler it was mentioned that fuse 4 was the correct fuse to check, (which looks ok, I will change it anyway.) .

We have done a temp fix by powering the switch from a source off the battery which we have also fused to prevent any issues.

So the question, it is fuse 4 which fuses the reverse light ?

Cheers

RIck

kenney
02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
There are 2 types of E boxes high and low,on the high type the fuse is nr 4 on the interior fuse box (dash) on the low line box to May 2005 the fuse is nr 31 in the interior fuse box (dash) so check fuse 31 before you do anything else.if the fuse is ok then there is a fault with the onboard supply control unit

producedapples
26-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Right.

Made some progress...

Bridged the connections on the switch and its dead,

RIck

What you need to bridge is not the switch, but the black plastic connector which plugs into the switch, this will then complete the circuit, remove the connector, bridge it with elec wires, or even a opened paper clip!! with ignition on, in reverse, go check your reverse lights...if the lights work, replace the switch as this confirms wiring is ok...