PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Broadband disconnecting....a lot!

SEMKY
28-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Hey guys and gals,

Seeing as I got so much help with my last issue, I thought I'd try again with the current issue.

Have Sky Broadband Max, with the original wireless router, with which I get a good speed etc, so generally happy, but more and more recently, the connection with the computer seems to drop out....A LOT..and I get the 'unable to connect to preferred network' message, or 'limited connectivity' etc.

It will generally reconnect without issue if I do another network search, then drop out again.

Any thoughts on this? Its not desperate by any means but thought I would ask.
Cheers in advance!! :beerchug:

Gt_Tdi_rich
28-06-2009, 12:50 PM
what operating system are you using and what is dropping out laptop? xbox ?

Col
28-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Mine does this.

When on BT
Now on Sky
This laptop and another desktop here at home, various wireless adaptors and two different routers.

I put it down to the fact that it is crap and the technology isn't up to what they say it should do on the box !

SEMKY
28-06-2009, 04:42 PM
what operating system are you using and what is dropping out laptop? xbox ?

Sorry, should have mentioned, its a laptop running XP...

Gt_Tdi_rich
28-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Sorry, should have mentioned, its a laptop running XP...
try and change the channel on router m8 sometimes that works
To reset the router to factory defaults, do this:

1) Power down all computers, the router, and the modem, and unplug them from the wall.
2) Disconnect all wires from the router.
3) Power up the router and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).
4) Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then release it, then let the router reset and reboot (2-3 minutes).
5) Power down the router.
6) Connect one computer by wire to port 1 on the router (NOT to the internet port).
7) Power up the router and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).
8) Power up the computer (if the computer has a wireless card, make sure it is off).
9) Try to ping the router. To do this, click the "Start" button > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. A black DOS box will appear. Enter the following: "ping 192.168.1.1" (no quotes), and hit the Enter key. You will see 3 or 4 lines that start either with "Reply from ... " or "Request timed out." If you see "Reply from ...", your computer has found your router.
10) Open your browser and point it to 192.168.1.1. This will take you to your router's login page. In the user name field, enter "admin" (with no quotes) , then in the password field, enter "admin" (with no quotes). This will take you to your router setup page. Note the version number of your firmware (usually listed near upper right corner of screen). Exit your browser.

SEMKY
28-06-2009, 06:25 PM
WoW thanks for the top notch answer, will give it a shot later on!!
Cheers Matey!!!

SEMKY
30-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey again...

Right, I followed the above instructions...did the ping from prompt...got a varying response, either timed-out, or unreachable? I must be doing something wrong!
The router has 4 ports other than the adsl one (ethernet type I think?) and all are just colour coded...two yellow, a green and a blue...:dunno:

Sorry, I am a computer muppet!

onzarob
30-06-2009, 02:00 PM
the advice above isnt a great idea on a SKY broadband router as they come preconfigured with username and password for the ADSL connection. If you have reset the unit then you will need these details from SKY.

Also try http://192.168.0.1 ;) in your browser. If you get the login page the login detail for the configuration page is 'admin' and password is 'sky'

As for dropping out, it can be faulty equipement, other non specific radio interferance, another wirless network and your unit jumping between the two, electrical devices switching on and off, the list is endless. Finding the issue can be tricky :(

SEMKY
30-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Oh ok, thanks for that Onzarob....guess I will just have to live with it then? :(There are a few other wireless networks around here, all secured though...not noticed it connecting to another one but maybe interferring?

CHeers anyway!:beerchug:

Gt_Tdi_rich
30-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Oh ok, thanks for that Onzarob....guess I will just have to live with it then? :(There are a few other wireless networks around here, all secured though...not noticed it connecting to another one but maybe interferring?

CHeers anyway!:beerchug:

Do u have wireless av video senders

SEMKY
30-06-2009, 08:15 PM
No mate, nothing else wireless in this house as far as i can think?

onzarob
30-06-2009, 08:27 PM
not noticed it connecting to another one but maybe interferring?

it won't connect but the wireless is always scanning, what you can do it change the channel used, By default on the router it is set to 6 and so will all the others around you. change it to another number and see if things improve. you won't need to change the channel on the client ;)

barefootin
01-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Do u have wireless av video senders
Hi,

I've also had similar problems. I have Virgin Broadband and a Netgear Wireless router. Previously I had a an Apple Airport Extreme basestation.

On my work laptop which is XP I have no problems whatsoever. On the home machine which is a Toshiba Satellite running Vista, the wireless connection just drops constantly.

I've tried changing the channel as we have a baby monitor but that doesn't seem to improve it.

I've also reinstalled the drivers.

Is it a VISTA thing or is there something else I could be doing. Like I said, no problems with the XP machine, or in fact my Nokia E71 running wireless.

Really frustrating when you're trying to watch video for example.

pon
01-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi,
I have Virgin Broadband and a Netgear Wireless router.

On the home machine which is a Toshiba Satellite running Vista

my Nokia E71 running wireless.

Have all of the above except the phone is a Nokia 5800, also running at home is a Sony wireless music system set up last saturday.
Having none of the above problems:approve:
More by luck than judgement though

onzarob
01-07-2009, 10:53 AM
The problem with wireless is ther so many factors. Enviroment, router make, Client make etc. It get to be minefield.

I have a Neatgear (SKY) router, an Ipaq 4100, 2 laptops, 3 PC's and 1 xbox :Blush2: oh and a N95 Phone, all have wireless.

The ipaq will only connect to the sky router with wep security, even though my older netgear router it worked fin with WPA-PSK. 1 laptop won't connect using WEP but will on WPA-PSK. The pc with a belkin card in it looses connection allot, but its the closest to the router!!! the N95 has to have the connection pre enterd as it doesn't recognise the wifi auomatically etc etc I'm an IT support engineer so known a bit about this stuff ;)

Basically wireless is good for convenience but you still can beat a proper cable....which I use on 1 PC for downloading and video streaming.

So your not alone...wireless is flaky .

SEMKY
01-07-2009, 07:28 PM
it won't connect but the wireless is always scanning, what you can do it change the channel used, By default on the router it is set to 6 and so will all the others around you. change it to another number and see if things improve. you won't need to change the channel on the client ;)

Thanks Rob...just me being a computer dunce again...do I change the channel in the router page (using the IP address in the browser?)?

Cheers again in advance!;)

SEMKY
01-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Scrub my last, I just found it in settings....mines set to auto? There is a drop down list of others..should I try one of those?:1zhelp:

onzarob
02-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Scrub my last, I just found it in settings....mines set to auto? There is a drop down list of others..should I try one of those?:1zhelp:

That on the router config and not the laptop?

SEMKY
02-07-2009, 10:14 AM
That on the router config and not the laptop?

Errmm, I entered the IP address into the browser, and I think its the router setup and security etc page....?

onzarob
02-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Errmm, I entered the IP address into the browser, and I think its the router setup and security etc page....?

yes that the right place...change it to 9 and see, it goes up to 11.

tlionhart
02-07-2009, 12:51 PM
with the previous post about the ip address (to access the modems control panel)

I've not actually seen the modem config. But have owned different modems i the past and they more less have the same options.

Try and search or find in the modem Control panel about network disconnection or 'idle'. If there is a time in it or an option to 'disable', do that -disable it. I found this sort of problem with the BT homehub my neighbour has. Had no reason to do this whatsoever! Hate their modems. Prefer D-link.

SEMKY
02-07-2009, 02:10 PM
yes that the right place...change it to 9 and see, it goes up to 11.

Ok thats done, will see how it goes from here!! MANY thanks for your help mate!!:beerchug:

SEMKY
02-07-2009, 02:12 PM
with the previous post about the ip address (to access the modems control panel)

I've not actually seen the modem config. But have owned different modems i the past and they more less have the same options.

Try and search or find in the modem Control panel about network disconnection or 'idle'. If there is a time in it or an option to 'disable', do that -disable it. I found this sort of problem with the BT homehub my neighbour has. Had no reason to do this whatsoever! Hate their modems. Prefer D-link.

Thanks for that too mate, there doesn't appear to be any idle/disconnection options in there, have changed the channel and will see how I get on...
Cheers anyway mate!!:beerchug:

SEMKY
02-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Well....I have been connected for about 7 hours now without a single disconnection!!! I think thats a pretty good result!!!

Thanks very much Rob...channel 9 seems brilliant!:beerchug:

onzarob
02-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks very much Rob...channel 9 seems brilliant!:beerchug:

Cool...No problem;)

ifraser1
03-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi, try changing your router wireless channel, most companies tend to default their routers to channel 6 or similar and quite often your neighbour will probably have the similar setup which causes you laptop/computer to fight for connection.

ifraser1
03-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Apologies i never read the replies further up the thread, glad you got the issues sorted.

SEMKY
03-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Apologies i never read the replies further up the thread, glad you got the issues sorted.

Haha, Cheers anyway Matey!!:beerchug:

Doogle.1
07-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey guys and gals,

Seeing as I got so much help with my last issue, I thought I'd try again with the current issue.

Have Sky Broadband Max, with the original wireless router, with which I get a good speed etc, so generally happy, but more and more recently, the connection with the computer seems to drop out....A LOT..and I get the 'unable to connect to preferred network' message, or 'limited connectivity' etc.

It will generally reconnect without issue if I do another network search, then drop out again.

Any thoughts on this? Its not desperate by any means but thought I would ask.
Cheers in advance!! :beerchug:
Hi Semky, I used to have a similar problem with my wireless connection, I am with BT and used the router that they provided. After numerous calls to their tech dept and still no joy I bought a super 'Belkin' wireless router and have never had any trouble since.