PDA

View Full Version : a4 1.8 bad on fuel

chris250491
06-04-2007, 06:50 PM
hi this is my first thread so bare with me please. i have a 1.8 petrol a4 and had to replace the air flow meter not so long ago but since then its only been doing about 20miles to the gallon does anyone have any ideas please

cheers chris

Tam o' Shantie
09-04-2007, 08:50 AM
I can't say if my fuel economy has been worse since things were replaced, but the miles per gallon from my 1.8 is also terrible. Does anybody have any recommendations for checking out what might be affecting this problem...filters etc? I believe the quoted combined mpg is only 32 or 33 anyway.

chris555
09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
I have the same car as both you guys and I had the same problem - the best thing i can advise if change your air filter and plugs and then drop a fuel adative in a full tank of petrol - try and use shell optimax fuel as well - then take a nice trip up the motorway - i did this and it drastically helped my car - and use fuel adatives regularly as well - because you car is older it will need help keeping the carbon deposites down - if you simply drive your car and thats it expect it to be poor - give her a little help and she'll look after you. After about a week the fuel economy of mine was well good - also, try not to let your fuel tank go below a quarter of a tank as this will put loads of rubbish in your lines etc