PDA

View Full Version : Don't you hate it...

djradium
26-06-2009, 11:56 PM
... when some **** hits your car in a car park for you to find the damage later. grrr

JoseSpring
27-06-2009, 12:55 AM
B*sterds. Sorry to hear it.
I had this on my last car a few months ago, only to have a friendly builder walk up and give me the shrinking sod's license plate details. Left it all to the insurance.
Guess there's no chance of getting hold of the CCTV?

WeegieBob
27-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Feel for ya - had that done on a 5 day old Avensis.

I had parked in a car-park next to a police station only to discover when I came back that the Yorkshire Ripper had been taken there and the Press were all over the place like a rash. Some a/h tv crew had squeezed their giant JEEP into the space next to mine and creased my passenger door with theirs in their rush to get out of the car to get the scoop.

Went looking for them, came back and it was gone - and in my anger I'd forgotten to take their reg number, didn't I!

Andyjjuk
27-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Had my 08 plate Golf V 1.9TDi hit in a carpark the other day too. You guessed it they didn't leave any insurance details either the b*****ds. Had to go through my insurance company to put the damage right as it is going to be traded in. I am waiting for delivery of my new Golf VI 1.4 TSI SE. :)

J400uk
27-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah its a pain when that happens.

Had my 08 plate Golf V 1.9TDi hit in a carpark the other day too. You guessed it they didn't leave any insurance details either the b*****ds. Had to go through my insurance company to put the damage right as it is going to be traded in. I am waiting for delivery of my new Golf VI 1.4 TSI SE. :)

Trading in a 08 Golf for an 09?!?! Do you have a thing for depreciation haha

maisbitt
27-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Had my 2 week old Golf GT Sport 170TDI swiped by a bus while it was parked lawfully on a main road. Bus driver didn't stop, but as it was great north run weekend, so some kind visitor saw it all and left me a note with the bus details. The bobbys were called and in the end the bus company admitted full liability.

The damage was £7000 and car hire charges were £3000 (solicitors charged bus company £450 a week rental on a 1.9TDI Golf Match!). Bus driver got £100 fine and 2 points for not stopping.

Elephant insurance (mine) were crap and doubled my renewal premium for a totally non fault claim which was paid in full by the bus company - I didn't renew!

djradium
27-06-2009, 09:06 PM
They scuffed and took the paint down the plastic on the rear passenger side wheen on the bumper. Luckily my other half's dad is a mechanic knows some painters who can fix it up for £30 quid. Would have hated to see what the dealer would have charged.

Andyjjuk
27-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Trading in a 08 Golf for an 09?!?! Do you have a thing for depreciation haha

Depreciation doesn't matter to me the car is a lease car. I get a new car every year. :)

J400uk
28-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Depreciation doesn't matter to me the car is a lease car. I get a new car every year. :)

Thats very lucky! Company car scheme I'm guessing?

Wish I could get a new car every year :(

Andyjjuk
28-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Thats very lucky! Company car scheme I'm guessing?

Wish I could get a new car every year :(

You guessed it ! :-) But on the naff side ****** off because of the delays. Been waiting since June for my new Golf 1.4 TSI SE. Now not scheduled for September. :-(

elvismiggell
28-06-2009, 11:41 PM
I get a good view of cars on the road in front of my work so if ever anything gets hit we always leave a note.

We used to go out straight away and ask the offending driver for their details but that got a bit hairy on a couple of occasions so now we tend to wait until their gone.

It's amazing how many people can't park a car properly. I'm nt sure what it is but the Koreans in New Malden just seem to be incapable of parking, makes us wonder what they have to do to get a license over there!

maisbitt
29-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Elvis: They probably get the license thrown in for free when they buy a Kia.

elvismiggell
29-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Elvis: They probably get the license thrown in for free when they buy a Kia.

Most of them seem to have a thing for old Mercedes E Classes.

Nightowl4933
29-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Anyone who damages another persons car (or anything else, for that matter) and doesn't have the b***s to 'fess' up, is pond life and obviously doesn't care about anything but themselves.

What a better world it would be if they did care a bit more!

AdC
29-06-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure what it is but the Koreans in New Malden just seem to be incapable of parking, makes us wonder what they have to do to get a license over there!

... laughing... it's not just me who thinks that, then. They're shockingly bad.

dimucci
02-07-2009, 03:18 PM
All this brings up the obvious question re. the Mk6: why no side protection strips as standard, as on the Mk5? They have them on the USA cars.

HHGTTG
02-07-2009, 03:46 PM
All this brings up the obvious question re. the Mk6: why no side protection strips as standard, as on the Mk5? They have them on the USA cars.
Yes that is a very bad ommision I think. Even when body colour painted they would have helped to break up the slab-sided look of the MK 6 as it is a rather bland shap.

J400uk
02-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Side strips worsen the looks IMO

HHGTTG
02-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Rubbish IMHO of course!!

elidag
03-07-2009, 08:53 AM

Personally I agree with you, I prefer the cleaner lines without the preotection strips, particually in black as they just seem to make it difficult to clean, go grey with age and show up the polish.

HHGTTG
03-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Personally I agree with you, I prefer the cleaner lines without the preotection strips, particually in black as they just seem to make it difficult to clean, go grey with age and show up the polish.
Go grey with age? What are you doing to your car, then? Mine are almost as fresh as the day the car was made. My car has also stood out in alll weathers for the last 4 1/2 years and been exposed to hot afternoon sun and these strips haven't visibly deteriorated. Admittedly I have occasionally wiped some Armorall over them but not that oftern and I wonder how many 'dings' they have saved my car's door from

elidag
03-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Go grey with age? What are you doing to your car, then? Mine are almost as fresh as the day the car was made. My car has also stood out in alll weathers for the last 4 1/2 years and been exposed to hot afternoon sun and these strips haven't visibly deteriorated. Admittedly I have occasionally wiped some Armorall over them but not that oftern and I wonder how many 'dings' they have saved my car's door from

As I said personally I prefer the look without the fussy side protectors and have never really suffered any damage to any of my last 3 car all of which did not have them.

dimucci
03-07-2009, 10:07 AM
As the poster who raised the matter of the strips: I consider that they must be painted, to look smart and an integral part of the car.

zf44
03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I didn't think the side strips were an option on the Mk6 until I saw this,

http://www.supercar.co.uk/UsedCarImage.aspx?DefaultImage=allapprovedcars&Width=369&Height=242&Id=600596430&View=1

http://www.supercar.co.uk/UsedCarImage.aspx?DefaultImage=allapprovedcars&Width=369&Height=242&Id=600596430&View=3

Prefer to have them though to prevent the paint on the edges on the door from being chipped. Our other car is a Beetle which doesn't have an option of side strips, accidently hit the drivers door against the garage wall and the paint was easily chipped. :zx11:

HHGTTG
03-07-2009, 11:25 AM
As the poster who raised the matter of the strips: I consider that they must be painted, to look smart and an integral part of the car.
In that respect the briefly available Golf MK 5 "Match" with the 1.4 TSI engine had the painted strips and looked very nice and that was the car I wanted but it was withdrawn almost as soon as it was available, blast it.

HHGTTG
03-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I didn't think the side strips were an option on the Mk6 until I saw this,

http://www.supercar.co.uk/UsedCarImage.aspx?DefaultImage=allapprovedcars&Width=369&Height=242&Id=600596430&View=1

http://www.supercar.co.uk/UsedCarImage.aspx?DefaultImage=allapprovedcars&Width=369&Height=242&Id=600596430&View=3

Prefer to have them though to prevent the paint on the edges on the door from being chipped. Our other car is a Beetle which doesn't have an option of side strips, accidently hit the drivers door against the garage wall and the paint was easily chipped. :zx11:
Now I like the look of that. I wonder where you can get those fitted and are they just stuck on?

chockymonster
03-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Now I like the look of that. I wonder where you can get those fitted and are they just stuck on?

Aren't they a dealer fit option?
I'm sure I've seen them in the optional extras booklet, right at the back.

dimucci
03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes, they are a dealer-fitted option. Typically overpriced and then you have to pay extra to have them painted, of course (if you wish). The Mk5 versions were ready aligned with lugs on the strips fitting into door holes. No such holes on the Mk6, so it's probably "line them up and hope for the best"!

HHGTTG
03-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Yes, they are a dealer-fitted option. Typically overpriced and then you have to pay extra to have them painted, of course (if you wish). The Mk5 versions were ready aligned with lugs on the strips fitting into door holes. No such holes on the Mk6, so it's probably "line them up and hope for the best"!
Yes, now that would worry me as to how an 'expert' would align them perfectly, the first time; you don't get a second chance!

HHGTTG
03-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Aren't they a dealer fit option?
I'm sure I've seen them in the optional extras booklet, right at the back.
Hadn't realised that. So they are!

WeegieBob
03-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Yes, now that would worry me as to how an 'expert' would align them perfectly, the first time; you don't get a second chance!

An old decal applicators trick is to spray the surface where the decal is going onto with a mixture of water and a little washing-up liquid, doing this allows the decal to be slid about until it lines up exactly where it is to go. I would imagine doing the same with a side strip would work, with the only difference being something like masking tape to hold it in place until the liquid evaporated off.

I did this for years with decals and my work was always perfect (if I say so myself) and never had a return with peeling decals. :D

WeegieBob.

HHGTTG
03-07-2009, 07:16 PM
An old decal applicators trick is to spray the surface where the decal is going onto with a mixture of water and a little washing-up liquid, doing this allows the decal to be slid about until it lines up exactly where it is to go. I would imagine doing the same with a side strip would work, with the only difference being something like masking tape to hold it in place until the liquid evaporated off.

I did this for years with decals and my work was always perfect (if I say so myself) and never had a return with peeling decals. :D

WeegieBob.
I accept you expertise but don't see how something with a self-adhesive back exposed could be slid around without damaging the adhesive. Perhaps I have misconstrued your description.
Aren't decals those things that can be stripped off again?