PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

Rusk
26-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Hello all,

So who has made to jump to Windows 7 RC? I put it on a home machine a couple of days ago and so far I can say its GREAT! It is what Vista should have been!

Anyone found bugs or things they can't do?

Cheers
Russ

Plife
26-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Been various versions on my laptop for about 3 months now and not had any issues at all.

My desktop doesn't appear to like it though. Keep having issues with display drivers and aero. Keeps turing aero off and then crashing if I try to change it. For the moment I have gone back to Vista 64 until the retail version comes out and there is more driver support out there and then I will give it another go!

Just need to work out how I can get it for US prices instead of UK!!

Rusk
26-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Yeh the prices so seem very unfair all because the EU thinks following these rules makes things more even for other companies. This of course is bullpoo!

I am running the 64bit version and so far no driver issues. It had several driver problems as I installed it but then it did a couple of windows updates and it found them all and everything is now a.o.k :biglaugh:

Rusk
30-06-2009, 03:47 PM
So a week on and things are still great! I have had one or two problems where things won't auto update their drivers or software versions but a manual download and install of the right software/driver worked fine.

There are one or two things they have done with the way Windows works which started to annoy me to start with but now I have played with it for a bit longer they make sense and actually I see them as a good thing.

So far still so good :approve:!

gordymccrae
08-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I installed it on my laptop and it seems to be great apart from the fact it does freeze now and then, and I have to hard reset the laptop, not sure if this is a Toshiba v Windoz problem.

Rusk
08-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I haven't had it crash once so far :) then again I build my pc myself and it is rock solid! It 3years old now and has only ever crash once or twice and yes I was using windows all that time :p

Ben
10-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Is this free software? and is it standard Internet explorer still?

Rusk
15-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Yes it is free as Windows 7 is not yet out in the shops but is available as a release candidate. This is basically an advanced beta version which is as good as the complete version but still may need one or two things changing.

Also worth noting is that this RC version will only work for a year and will stop working next June I believe it is.

Plife
20-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Placed my preorder for this now :biglaugh:

netherfield
20-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Think I'll wait 'til I need a new computer,stick with XP for now.

ini
20-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Gave it a run for several months on a PC and a laptop.

It was fast and gave me no driver problems.

However, i am not overly keen on the interface (seemed to much like Vista), and the fact that there was no 'up directory' arrow annoyed me. lol

I will also be sticking with aging XP until it is not able to do what i require of it.

aBoijj
30-07-2009, 10:39 AM
The "up" navigation button has been negated by the superior breadcrumb navigation (also featured in Vista)

ini
30-07-2009, 11:59 AM
'Superior' is subjective.

proff999
04-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Running 7 now with oem key. Had issues relating to windows thinking the Realtek LAN driver from 2007 was an essential update as opposed to the windows 7 specific version I had to install.

The issue I have is the lack of windows mail on the EU version. I'm fine with it but new users may buy this without realizing.

On the up side I find it so much quicker than Vista 64 which ran like a dog on my i7 machine with 12gb DDR3!

proff999
04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Forgot to mention I managed to preorder the home premium 64 version for £49.99 during the promotional period ( Which lasted all of about 4 hours )

Rusk
04-08-2009, 11:19 AM
However, i am not overly keen on the interface (seemed to much like Vista), and the fact that there was no 'up directory' arrow annoyed me. lol

The "up" navigation button has been negated by the superior breadcrumb navigation (also featured in Vista)

This annoyed me to start with but after 10mins of sorting and moving around my photographs during editing I know find it amazing. Instead of clicking up 3 times just click on the folder in the chain you want. Removing clicks is always a good thing in anything.

Oh and the interface looks a lot like Vista because it is Vista but a Vista that works :D:beerchug:

I still have no issues to report and I am still loving it.

Rusk
17-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Ok my first BIG problem!!! Homeworld 2 won't work!!!! noooooooooooooooo!! :Screem:

proff999
17-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Have you tried running it in XP mode? All my old programs are working without issues.

Rusk
22-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Yup I tried that and still no joy :zx11:.

However! :D As my system did have everything overclocked before my upgrade to Win7 I found time the other night to download the ATI CCC software to again mess around with the clock on my graphic card. After installing it and setting it up Homeworld 2 worked! I didn't even have to run it in XP mod or anything. Am so happy :p I haven't slept in 3 days :bigok:

Hex69
03-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Just got a Compaq with W7 Home Premium installed, and must say I'm impressed so far.

Been (and still am for work) using XP for many years, so was a little sceptical, but its a lot more stable than I expected, and runs a lot quicker with 2Gb RAM than XP.

Only thing that has bugged me is that my mobile broadband (from 3) kept hanging on IE8 and on Firefox, so that I had to get 3 to hack a software fix until they can updated the drivers, but other than that no issues.

Happy days :D

Micha_elD
24-11-2009, 12:11 AM
I'm pretty impressed too, it came with a dual-core Atom PC, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb disc, 5.1 sound, HD graphics, wireless keyboard and mouse all for less than £250 incl postage! Thats not too much more than just buying Windows 7 on its own!

It all runs perfectly as a media center with a wall-mounted LCD TV, and with two TV tuner sticks, it has replaced a freeview box, and a PVR. Everything controlled with a Harmony One remote, works perfectly

Windows 7 home premium and dual-core Atom PCs seem finally to have hit the right level of power and usability to make a media PC a sensible choice. Something equivalent to this only bigger, noisier and glitchier was over £1,000 about 3 years ago

fayraz
24-11-2009, 11:14 AM
I have been running Windows 7 Beta for quite a while and was very impressed with it and have now transferred over to a retail version.

I have had no driver issues.

Rusk
24-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Well now gone from the RC to full blown Windows 7 Ultimate and it is still ace.

Also upgraded my machine to a beast of a quadcore (i7 920 for those interested). So it really flies now! :biglaugh:

netherfield
27-11-2009, 12:25 PM
I maybe fancied trying W7,so downloaded the Advisor from Microsoft to see if the computer could handle it.

Set it running and I get a message ' This could take a few minutes'--3 hours later it still wants a few minutes,so I'm no wiser if my computer and other hardware can use the new OS.

Hex69
27-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I maybe fancied trying W7,so downloaded the Advisor from Microsoft to see if the computer could handle it.

Set it running and I get a message ' This could take a few minutes'--3 hours later it still wants a few minutes,so I'm no wiser if my computer and other hardware can use the new OS.

What are OS do you have at the moment, and what spec is your machine?

If you have 2GB RAM and a processor > 2 GHz, you should be OK.

I've a Compaq CQ61 Specs below, and it runs W7 fine.

Processor type
AMD Sempron™ Processor for Notebook PCs M100
• 2 GHz, Level 2 cache 512 KB
Operating system installed
Genuine (http://welcome.hp-ww.com/country/ie/en/mda/genuine_landing.html) Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Standard memory
2048 MB
Memory layout
(2 x 1024 MB)
Maximum memory
Supports up to 4 GB DDR2 memory

netherfield
27-11-2009, 12:58 PM
XP SP3 (64 BIT)

Intel Core2 Duo E8300 @2.83GHZ - 4GB Ram.

I have an oldish Brother MFD which I havn't found Vista drivers for and an old scanner likewise.

Although I'm in the market for a new Printer at the moment so that should not cause any problems.

I could be a little paranoid here but if the advisor won't run how can I trust the OS to work.

Hex69
27-11-2009, 01:42 PM
XP SP3 (64 BIT)

Intel Core2 Duo E8300 @2.83GHZ - 4GB Ram.

I have an oldish Brother MFD which I havn't found Vista drivers for and an old scanner likewise.

Although I'm in the market for a new Printer at the moment so that should not cause any problems.

I could be a little paranoid here but if the advisor won't run how can I trust the OS to work.

You should be able to run W7 no problems, however the install path from XP to W7 isn't straightforward. I've heard some people do a clean install, however others install Vista trial and then upgrade from there.

justalex81
06-12-2009, 11:39 PM
the missus just got a new laptop for acoustic modelling for work and it comes with R7 must say its pretty good. maybe good enough to tear me from xp pro!

clintyboy12
22-12-2009, 12:43 PM
You should be able to run W7 no problems, however the install path from XP to W7 isn't straightforward. I've heard some people do a clean install, however others install Vista trial and then upgrade from there.

See this:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx

Shame really as not many businesses went to Vista so will become a larger problem

turbine2
04-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Na, not really. Most companies who will be in the position of upgrading from XP to Windows 7 will either do it through natural wastage (i.e. computer replaced, new computer has Windows 7 already installed) or (as most large companies) will have a disk 'image' that they put onto PCs in a scheduled order (take computer out, put on image, return computer or replace computer with imaged one, put on image, give computer to next person and image their computer).

potshot
06-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Been with 'puters from 1985 (pre windows just DOS!!!!) - Windows 7 Pro 64bit was the easy upgrade/install I have ever done. No problems except that the upgrade software for my HP office jet was v.slow to appear but that's HP's fault.

iftibashir
19-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Pretty impressed win Windows 7 so far TBH. Vista wasnt too good, but Windows 7 seems to perform pretty smoothly!

Y90USF
23-03-2010, 12:30 AM
if anyone would like the windows 7 ultimate pm me :P

SpinneyA6
25-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm currently using an operating system that is exactly 14 times better than Windows 7.

Windows 98 :D:D

SteveBentley
25-03-2010, 02:53 PM
haha whats windows 7 like?

i use xp , hate vista ...but ive heard some quite good things about windows 7
was actually considering installing it when i put my new machine together next week!

potshot
25-03-2010, 05:06 PM
You wont be disappointed, go for the 64bit version.

SteveBentley
25-03-2010, 05:31 PM
You wont be disappointed, go for the 64bit version.
:biglaugh: will let you know how i get on!!!!!

turbine2
26-03-2010, 09:42 AM
What's it like? It's like Vista should have been if they'd bothered to finish it. Personally I've found it sturdy, reliable, as good to use as Windows XP and no slower.
The only machine I haven't put it on at home is the media server as the video card's not supported and the motherboard's too old for me to go about getting a replacement card.

SteveBentley
01-04-2010, 10:01 AM
12/10 :)
installed it the weekend, deffinitley the best operating system to date

potshot
01-04-2010, 10:11 AM
It is good and solid - been running win7Pro since last October and it has been faultless.

SteveBentley
01-04-2010, 10:20 AM
yep!
went through first time, no blue screens, installed all my drivers and all the updates automatically!!!
runs like dynamite and its just very stable
had no problems or cockups.
i love it :beerchug:

Guest 2
01-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Recently upgraded to 7 Home Premium 64Bit .. All is good including the new task bar grouping all different windows together. Only problem was I had a hard time finding a sound card driver which was compatible for 7. Finally found out from a friend that you can change the compatibility setup. Once that was done, installed excellent and I now have a working sound card :D

Chris

phil miller
12-05-2010, 11:23 PM
had windows 7 for almost a month on my laptop and i think its great, easy to use (even for me lol)

clintyboy12
13-05-2010, 11:09 AM
had windows 7 for almost a month on my laptop and i think its great, easy to use (even for me lol)

I've now had a laptop (new Dell) with Win7 since just after it was released (was that Oct?!).
Whilst it was whizzy fast at the time, it's gradually got slower and slower, same as any other MS OS to be honest. Even with large amounts of 'clean-up' from the usual areas, it seems like there is something inherent in the OS that just bogs down. Shame.

ricbw2
16-06-2010, 03:22 PM
W7 is a god send, very fast and flashy whic is what I like about it.