PDA

View Full Version : Strange Signal Problem

VWLeonG
06-04-2007, 01:34 PM
I've got a 2003 Passat V6. Love everything about it except electrical which is very flaky. Besides previous problems with rear break-light switch (90 minutes at VW Dealership at $80+ an hour) and many, many replacements of front lights, I've now got this weird problem that happens after I use my turn signals: I continue to hear the turn signal noise even after the I've straightened out. Then the turn signal noise continues sporadically. I don't really know when I'm driving if the turn lights are flashing or not, but the noise you hear when you intentionally use the turn signals continues off and on for another minute or so, long after the turn is completed. Sometines, the turn signal noise appears even if I have not made a turn. Anyone ever heard of this?

meg
14-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Hello,

I currently have the same problem with my turning signal- if I use my turn signal, the indicator noise doesn't stop after I finish the turn, even though the turning light turns off. And it will sporatically make the noise even with out using my signal! It is quite annoying to say the least! Have you had yours fixed yet? Were you able to determine the cause? I have an appointment with my mechanic in 2 days, but I would love to be able to tell him what has worked for others as this is the second Passat he has had in the last month with the problem and he couldn't correct it with the other Passat, it just mysteriously quit doing it. Any help from any one would be very welcome!

VWLeonG
15-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Meg, you have my sympathies. It is very annoying. As for getting it fixed yet; no, I've just been living with it. I've been unhappy with the VW dealerships in Northern Virginia so I'd have to be completely desparate. Please let me know what your results are if you take it in. I may also ask my local Midas garage. I've had good luck with them and even though their labor rates are about the same as VW, they seem to get a lot more done a lot quicker. In any case, please keep in touch. I'll let you know what I find. Many thanks, Leon

brogandb7
17-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi guys,
I recommend looking at the relays for this problem. Some vehicles have a separate one for the indicators or it could be a timing relay which also controls the wipers, dimming lights, hazard lights etc. These are relatively easy to replace as they just pull out/in similar to a 3-pin plug.

Hope this helps,
David.

VWLeonG
18-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Brogand, many thanks for the tip. I'll look into it and maybe a clutz like me can do it himself. Many thanks, Leon

salmonhunter
26-03-2010, 11:51 AM
any body any ideas about sorting this problem. am having the same bother with my passat oh its very annoying did any of you guys get sorted was it the relay or the indacitor stalk.

Chipped2
26-03-2010, 09:30 PM
For what it costs get yourself a new Hazard W
arning switch which has the indicator relay built into it. Prise it out of the dash, your VW dealer will probably have one, less than £20 and swop it. They have about eight sliding contacts within which can malfunction causing various problems. At least you will have eliminated that.

Sometimes easier to remove the dashboard blanking cap at the bottom of the dash, then the heated seats switch above that (if fitted) and then you can reach in to pull out the Hazard Warning Switch module above. Unplug from the harness and replace.