PDA

View Full Version : T4 rear bearing race removal

catnipsta
06-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi

I am attempting to replace one of my rear wheel bearings, and have only succeeded in removing the hub along with part of the old bearing. The problem is that only the bearing "race" is left in the trailing arm. I have tried to use a reversible puller, however there is only about 2mm of bearing race rim, to which my puller fails to get any grip.

Therefore, I am planning to hit this bearing race out using a suitable drift. But where can I buy a suitable drift from? Or could I try to find a suitable large rod/pipe from a metal merchant ?

from my measurements I need a drift that is 77-78mm in diameter

many thanks

Col
06-04-2007, 06:02 PM
I've carefully used a sharp cold chisel in the past. Go around the perimeter and do it gradually so that it doesn't get wedged and stuck.

You drift the new bearing race in using the old race upside down so you can then drift it back out once the new race is seated.

catnipsta
07-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks BigCol for your reply

I eventually managed to drift out the old bearing from the suspension arm using a steel dumbbell bar and nut....it was the perfect size. However, I think I will invest in a bearing drift kit (sealey do them for around £140) to make life easier in future...since I had destroyed several dumbbell nuts whilst getting the bearing off.

I have ordered a decent set of bearing separator kit to remove the inner race from the wheel hub. The cheap 3 prong pullers I bought are a complete waste of time & money. There is a lesson to be learnt from all this.