PDA

View Full Version : A3 quattro or not????

spadey
06-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi sorry this sounds like a stupid question but I recently bought a Audi A3 what I believed to be a quattro but after replacing the rear brakes I dont think it is 4 wheel drive... The log book says 1.8 turbo sport and nothing about quattro... Please can someone just advice me what the rear end underneath should look like with the 4 wheel drive system? Sorry for being stupid but before I go to the trading standards just want to make sure.

Steve

sean red i
06-04-2007, 06:40 PM
firstly mine is an a4 so cant show you what quattro on the a3 looks like. go to a dealer, look under one of them and compare. get yours on gravel (loose surface) turn esp of (if you can) floor it see if rear wheels spin. even with esp on the rears should spin until computer takes over. Or phone any dealer with reg and ask for exact model the car is (make out you r looking to buy it) if you have service book inside front cover should be install codes 4ez etc, go to http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx to tell you what the car left factory with.
cheers sean

djglovehead
10-04-2007, 09:09 PM
what was it badged up as???

prolfe
11-04-2007, 07:53 PM
With or without the ESP turned off you will be able to tell because as soon as you pull away from a standing start the car will not bog down. This is because all four wheels are trying to get the car going.

Front wheel drive - front wheels pull the car along, the rear end moves down and then the car moves

Four wheel drive - the front wheels pull, the rear wheels push and the car sits level while accelerating.

You should be able to tell by looking under the rear, a 4wd car will have a drive shaft and a Slip Diff which looks big and round in line with the rear wheels.

Look at any Scooby and you'll see one.

Hope this helps.