PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Static Strip

Numbers33
24-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I recently purchased an Audi A6 1997 and started getting shocks off the door when getting out. Also the radio started getting interference after about 15 seconds.
I purchased an Anti-static strip to try and sort this out but when I got home I couldn't find a clear area of metal to attach it to near the rear - there is too much plastic trim around!
I wonder of anyone else has attached an anti-static strip or could give me some advice as to where best to attach it?

NickPicks
24-06-2009, 03:37 PM
You cold attach it to the rear and run a wire to it from an earth point (probably the one for the light cluster?)

Or you could attach it to something under the car. This would also have the benefit of not making your A6 look like a 1980s Capri Ghia.

JSH
07-08-2009, 04:11 PM
The best thing to do when you aproch the car, is to firmly & quickly put the palm of your hand onto the bodywork. This discharges static charge through a large area of skin instead of finger tips. Which is usual first point of contact.
Worked for me!

nevo
08-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Dont bother fitting it,your car will earth through the tyres,yes through the tyres! let me explain, the tyres contain carbon black, which will earth! you are generating a static charge when sat in your seat, with your clothes (man made fibres)you need a good earthing point,maybe on the door to touch before exiting to discharge the static , i'll bet you've got cloth seats.

rharris
08-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Remind me never to go near a petrol station when you are filling up :)

Anyone see that brainiac episode where they try to ignite petrol with mobile phones - ended up ringing about 50 at once to try and get an explosion. Then they got a guy in a nice shell suit to job on the spot and touch the ends of a couple of wires - boom!

Richard

JSH
09-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Mr Harris has a very good point About Static at petrol stations. If you are a petrol user as opposed to diesel which is inherantly safer, I would hold the pump nozzel in one hand and the body work of the car with the other before the fuel cap is removed.
Stay safe John

JSH
09-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Sorry I posted before i'd finished.
A colleague of mine has just got a Passat Bluemotion and he & his family are Plagued with shocks as they touch the car. He's convinsed its the Low rolling resistance tyres that are preventing the charge being discharged to earth
John

nevo
09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
The theory is that you prevent the static build up as you 're getting out,its the clothes and seats rubbing together ! like rubbing a balloon and putting it near your hair,making it stand up,your friends that are getting a shock on their passat is the static in their body earthng through the car,I'm sure this is going to spark some debate(sorry about that ),try a cotton sheet on the car seat just as a test