PDA

View Full Version : Question Servicing

jamesys123
24-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey Chaps,

Quick Question...

I have my final service before the warrentee on my Golf runs out on the weekend.

Getting it serviced at VW with an MOT included for £320 all in providing that there is nothing to be done!

Does this sound ok price wise?

Cheers

onzarob
24-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey Chaps,

Quick Question...

I have my final service before the warrentee on my Golf runs out on the weekend.

Getting it serviced at VW with an MOT included for £320 all in providing that there is nothing to be done!

Cheers

Not to me , But then I don't use main dealers. Whats included in the service? The reason I ask is no one actually says.

jamesys123
24-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Its the large service at 40,000 miles. But when I booked it the receptionist was a bit vague on what it entailed.

Guessing its all the fluids/ Filters/ urm not sure what else tho!?

I am waiting for another quote from a local VW registered dealer, so hopefully that will be a bit cheaper.

How much do you usually pay for for your serving?

onzarob
24-06-2009, 01:20 PM
I do my own general servicing like brakes, oil changes, filters etc. Then I use recommended independents for stuff I don't have the tools or time to do.

I just can't stand paying £200+ pounds to get the oil changed and a tick sheet filled out, But i don't have a car that has warranty left.

I would recommend that you use a quality independent now yours is up.

Rob:D

SLW
24-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey Chaps,

Quick Question...

Cheers

Try (if you live in the area) BVR, he is an authorised vw technician, so can do work and maintain warranty. Just did my a 100k service £150, with long life oil which alone can cost £11 p/ltr, £35 for brake fluid. He is based in stoke on trent but also covers cheshire and derby.

peteo
06-07-2009, 08:46 AM
One thing that has occurred to me is that there isn't much consistency between main dealers in terms of servicing costs. I recently paid £175 at Smith Knight Fay in Hyde for a short service but added in a brake fluid service as it was overdue. Without that, it would have been around £125 which sounds OK to me. A full service would cost about £220.

A few years ago, I had a 40,000 service on a Bora at the main dealers in Warrington. It was nearly £500! Admittedly there was an air con recharge in that but it seemed well over the top.

jamesys123
06-07-2009, 11:28 AM
I agree, my first service was £189 at 20k and the service I have just had was £320 (40k) (+£30 for a new wing mirror indicator and MOT) This was at City Gate.

I think form now on though, I will be using my local garage.

Also what I did find interesting, was they asked me if I wanted my mirror glass changing for £67.50 so it passed the MOT. BUT when I said no, as I can get these from e bay and likes for about £20, he didn't seem to happy. He then phoned me back 10 minutes later asking me if we I would consider a compromise of £30 for parts and fitting. Result! £47.50 for fitting shows you just how much they rip you off!