PDA

View Full Version : Important List of problems......please help me!

kar33m
22-06-2009, 06:35 PM
hi all, just got an a3, and even tho i as aare of some issues, seems more have surfaced ;(

if anybody can help me i would be very greatfull.

1) drivers side window has become intermitant
2) lights for the heaters+fans dont light up
3) a very loud and annoying squeek from the drivers side front wheel, lasts a second or so like clock work on a revolotion, alomost as if theres something on the disc? ( the car has just had new disc and pads all round just before i got it)

4) ABS light has started to come on and off - again intermitantly
5) theres another squeeky sounds from both front sides, but only when going over bumpy roads.

as you can inmagin - its getting quite stressfull now! and just wanna get it sorted

ohh, almost forgot

6) the engine revs bounce up and down on idle , i understand it to be the idle control valve needs cleaning.....anybody able to point me in the right direction, do i actualy need to clean it or does the issue lay somewere else?

MANY thanks in advance

Kar33m

towcestervag
22-06-2009, 11:30 PM
1 check the regulator
2 you can replace the bulbs behind heater control panel
3 check for a stone caught behind disc
4 diag test the abs
5 check the anti roll bar bushes
6 suggest throttle valve clean and reset the basics of the valve

kar33m
27-06-2009, 08:39 PM
thank you for the reply, here is how i have got on!

1) will do tomorrow
__________________________________________________ _______

2)thank you, sorted!

__________________________________________________ ________

3)i have stripped and cleaned away the years of break dust ,smoothed the pads ( they were brand new along with discs only a few hundred miles ago) as there was some grit on them, the calipers are like brand new,along with the rest of the hub, totally clean, HOWEVER! on the backside of the disc there was a ring ground into it ( hence the clean ) and even AFTER the clean, its still making the noise!

the thing is tho - i can be going along at 30mph- coast ( as in in gear but no pedals being pressed) and its silky smooth, soon as i put on the gas all hell is lose again!

brakes are fantastic, again silky smooth no matter what now.

really strating to do my head in! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, any more ideas!
__________________________________________________ _________

4)is this only at a dealer, or is there a way to self diag test audi's?
__________________________________________________ _________

5)just found out on the mot less then a month ago it was as an advisery - play presant in ns/os steering rack arms, could this be the cause?
__________________________________________________ ________

6)will attempt tomorrow, any tips on doing this? or just take it off the car and a bloody good clean?

kar33m
28-06-2009, 01:52 PM
bump..............

jonnyparker
29-06-2009, 12:01 AM
haha, sounds like my car. when i got it the window was dodgy, needed a new regulator which i believe was about £60, and about an hour to fit. i don't have lights on my heater either but haven't got round to sorting it yet. The suspension squeaks on my a3, had the same problem on my focus (maybe i drive it too hard?!) although the squeak is worse before a drive than after. the focus needed new bushes and droplinks i believe, so i presume it's the same story with the audi, though i think i might use it as an excuse to fit coilovers this time round!

ukmonkey
04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
The engine revs bounce up and down on idle noticed that on mine, did cleaning the throttle valve and reset the basics of the valve solve the problem and is it a big job?.

*sorted* thanks anyway peeps..

lamby89
14-11-2009, 11:55 PM
did u sort the problem cos i hav a few suggestions? if u did, could u tell me wot there were? thanks

SirMacca
16-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi mate. I've also bought an A3 8L and also have a bouncing idle could you point me in the right direction as to how to solve it and how hard is it to do, bear in mind im not the most mechanic of guys around.

Thanks in advance

Chris

lamby89
16-11-2009, 06:53 PM
hi, i would say, first thing. disconnect the battery, leave for 5-10 mins, this resets the computer which occasionally sorts it. second, clean the throttle body out with carb clean, fly spray ect, or some kind of fuel (a small amount should be fine and wont effect the engine). then try putting injector cleaner in your fuel system, use the recommended ratio on the bottle of the injector clean and hold on 4000-7000 revs for about 2 mins, this can also clear out the fuels pathways! the last thing is to get it electronically diagnosed (usually cost about 20 quid at a garage). if u dnt understand anything, just ask. let me know how get on!

SirMacca
17-11-2009, 06:31 PM
hi, i would say, first thing. disconnect the battery, leave for 5-10 mins, this resets the computer which occasionally sorts it. second, clean the throttle body out with carb clean, fly spray ect, or some kind of fuel (a small amount should be fine and wont effect the engine). then try putting injector cleaner in your fuel system, use the recommended ratio on the bottle of the injector clean and hold on 4000-7000 revs for about 2 mins, this can also clear out the fuels pathways! the last thing is to get it electronically diagnosed (usually cost about 20 quid at a garage). if u dnt understand anything, just ask. let me know how get on!

Will disconnecting the battery solve idle issues?
How easy is the throttle body to clean?
When you say injector cleaner do u mean the likes of 'Redex'?

Cheers for the reply mate, fairly new to all this car lark so a bit down on info.

lamby89
17-11-2009, 09:02 PM
disconnecting the battery, in a simple form, it resets the vehicle, so it "could" solve the problem. and it is fairly easy to clean, depending on what you have to take off to get to it. do you know what the throttle body looks like??? and yes, redex is an injector cleaner, but there better products out there!

SirMacca
17-11-2009, 09:14 PM
disconnecting the battery, in a simple form, it resets the vehicle, so it "could" solve the problem. and it is fairly easy to clean, depending on what you have to take off to get to it. do you know what the throttle body looks like??? and yes, redex is an injector cleaner, but there better products out there!

Ok will try the battery when i get in from work the rest will have to wait til the weekend.
Aint got a bloody clue haha.
Wouldany of it be shown in a Haynes? Could possibly be tempted to buy one if it would help.
Could you recommend a decent one?

Also noticed that there is a black susbstance coming from the back box whether it be oil or not i don't actually know, please tell me this aint a sign of the head gasket blowing as when i bought the car the fella said his mechanic told him it weren't that.

Thanks,
Chris.

lamby89
17-11-2009, 10:02 PM
lol, im still like that now with some things! it would help if you didnt know what it looks like. try typing 'throttle body' into google images and comparing the pictures to your engine, if u know what i mean?? but havin a haynes manual for ur car is always handy.
and what do u mean, 'coming from the back box'? is it smoke or is it seeping from somewhere or what? also, what colour smoke is coming from the exhaust and how much of it there???

SirMacca
17-11-2009, 10:06 PM
lol, im still like that now with some things! it would help if you didnt know what it looks like. try typing 'throttle body' into google images and comparing the pictures to your engine, if u know what i mean?? but havin a haynes manual for ur car is always handy.
and what do u mean, 'coming from the back box'? is it smoke or is it seeping from somewhere or what? also, what colour smoke is coming from the exhaust and how much of it there???

Ok will do that cheers.
And when revved it seeps from the exhaust :S

Erm tbh i dont know what colour I've only had it started up with me working on the inside of it haha.

pauldazzle
26-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Idle problems are generally down to dirty throttle body or coolant temperature sender faulty. If you have the black coolant temp sensor i'd replace that with the later green one, as the black one's are known to die & cause idle problems.
To clean the throttle body you need to remove it from the inlet manual, & clean it with carb cleaner. Easy job if you know what you're doing. If you don't then take it to a garage.
google these problems & you're sure to come up with a whole bunch of how to guides

SirMacca
27-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Cheers mate thanks for the reply :)