PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Paint

Alun
05-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I've jut ordered some touch up paint from my local VW dealer. They have to order it from the factory and should be here on wednesday. It costs just over £5, but I forgot to ask how much I was getting! Has anyone ordered anything similar? If so, how big a bottle/pot/container did you get?

RickT
05-04-2007, 09:44 PM
it is normally 150 ml touch up pot with a small brush..

RicKT

LimEs
05-04-2007, 11:01 PM
I have used Halfords paint mixing, mum has a Micra that is always getting scrapes. Colour match is spot on when laq is put on. You can get a pen, spray can or pot and brush and they mix whil you wait...or it takes a couple of hours if thay have many orders.

ghee60
05-04-2007, 11:48 PM
halfords is usually spot on, used to work there and its mixed by hand, its better than machine mixin as there isnt any residue left on the machine from previous mix. Also you need to be within 0.002 grams of the weight of pigments or you need to start again so you end up with a spot on match

Alun
06-04-2007, 04:53 PM
I went to the dealer out of curiosity, just to see how much it was. Turns out it was £5 cheaper than what I was going to get from Halfords. It's being ordered straight from the factory too so it should be a spot on match.

I'm going to fill in all the chips and scrapes, sand down and then buff up. Should make the car look loads better!

RickT
07-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Good call... its always worth checking out OEM first... if its something they supplier on a regualr basis its sometimes cheaper!

RiCkT

ghee60
07-04-2007, 02:22 AM
I went to the dealer out of curiosity, just to see how much it was. Turns out it was £5 cheaper than what I was going to get from Halfords. It's being ordered straight from the factory too so it should be a spot on match.

I'm going to fill in all the chips and scrapes, sand down and then buff up. Should make the car look loads better!

it might not be a spot on match as the paint on your car is a lot older than the paint you have just ordered. Good paint suppliers such as those to supply bodyshops will usually have more than 1 shade of the same color to take into account how much the paint has faded over its lifetime

Alun
08-04-2007, 10:58 AM
To the person who replied but seems their post has been deleted:

It helps if you have a little know how. Older paint does fade but if it's kept in good condition then there shouldn't be a problem.