PDA

View Full Version : Got a build date for my car

Robbie G
22-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi

We ordered a GT 160 TSi on 21st May and I've just been given a build date of week 26. However the person that emailed me said that this would mean a delivery date of 12 weeks from this point. 12 weeks from build date to delivery?! I've emailed him back to query this but can anyone guess what he was talking about in the mean time?

HHGTTG
22-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Hi

We ordered a GT 160 TSi on 21st May and I've just been given a build date of week 26. However the person that emailed me said that this would mean a delivery date of 12 weeks from this point. 12 weeks from build date to delivery?! I've emailed him back to query this but can anyone guess what he was talking about in the mean time?
No, that sounds nonsense to me. Usually car takes a weeks to make and then up to 3 weeks to ship. At least I hopt that is so as mine is scheduled for week 27 and then delivery in July.
Mine was ordered in February!!

Robbie G
22-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Here is the email:

'
Good Morning, Thank you for your recent email.

I can confirm that your build week, is week 26. So your delivery date will be 12 weeks from there.

Regards

Sean '

dieselduncmk6
22-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Newbie here; but I was defo told the opposite.
i.e. I ordered my GT 140 TDI just over 2 weeks ago, and told 12 weeks from the order date, not from the build date.

The dealer was able to look up approx schedule on their company intranet when I ordered, which showed lead times etc and the factory closure period. I now have a build week number too, but I've fogotten it, but basically built in mid/late July, for hopefully late August delivery.

Mind you, being only 2 weeks in.....the anticipation is getting to me already. Gonna be hell to live with for a while.

paul.mgrath
23-06-2009, 01:20 PM
As i have said and many others in earlier posts lead times from order in the region of 12-18 weeks. When i spoke to VW GB they confirmed this and suggested getting a commission number and that they could give a more accurate date. However you can only get the commission number from your dealer and i struggled to get mine.

Robbie G
23-06-2009, 01:41 PM
As i have said and many others in earlier posts lead times from order in the region of 12-18 weeks. When i spoke to VW GB they confirmed this and suggested getting a commission number and that they could give a more accurate date. However you can only get the commission number from your dealer and i struggled to get mine.

Who is that directed at? If myself, I gave VW a commission number, which the dealer supplied me at the point of order as they gave me a printout of the factory order confirmation. Maybe the guy meant that the delivery would make it twelve weeks from order :confused:.

paul.mgrath
23-06-2009, 01:53 PM
It was not directed at anybody. I thought that we were all here to try and help each other? I have been through the process of being given a delivery time of:-

1) a delivery time of 7-10 days - Dealer Failed
2 )we will try and have one here in 2 weeks - Dealer Failed
3 )We can't give you a delivery time - Dealer succeeded.

I am trying to give others the benefit of my overly drawn out experience. If anybody is offended by this it was completely unintentional. What i was trying to point out is we all seem to be having the same conversation.

We are all saying how long is it going to take to come (me included) and i only got a meaningful answer from VW GB - Not my dealer. This is what i was trying to say.

Robbie G
23-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I thought that we were all here to try and help each other?
If anybody is offended by this it was completely unintentional. What i was trying to point out is we all seem to be having the same conversation.

You seem to have become extremely defensive. Unsure as to why?

- Of course we're trying to help each other. What makes you suggest that we're not?
- What on earth makes you think anyone is offended by anything you've said?

nebw
23-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Paul seems to me a very measured and helpful poster. Robbie, the man's just trying to be helpful, and then bending over backwards to be apologetic when you misread him. Is it a bit hot in your office ? It doesn't seem 2 minutes since you were calling others "precious bitches" on this forum.

paul.mgrath
23-06-2009, 02:44 PM
With you suggesting i was aiming my statement at yourself i assumed (incorrectly) that you were offended. I was merlely apologising for inadvertantly offending you.

Seemingly i have not offended/upset you so there there isn't a problem is there?

Can we just put it to bed now and all look forward to driving our cars?

HHGTTG
23-06-2009, 03:16 PM

Who is that directed at? If myself, I gave VW a commission number, which the dealer supplied me at the point of order as they gave me a printout of the factory order confirmation. Maybe the guy meant that the delivery would make it twelve weeks from order :confused:.

It was not directed at anybody. I thought that we were all here to try and help each other? I have been through the process of being given a delivery time of:-

1) a delivery time of 7-10 days - Dealer Failed
2 )we will try and have one here in 2 weeks - Dealer Failed
3 )We can't give you a delivery time - Dealer succeeded.

I am trying to give others the benefit of my overly drawn out experience. If anybody is offended by this it was completely unintentional. What i was trying to point out is we all seem to be having the same conversation.

We are all saying how long is it going to take to come (me included) and i only got a meaningful answer from VW GB - Not my dealer. This is what i was trying to say.

It was the best thing that I ever did, extracting the Commission Number out of my dealer. It is this which has enabled me to bypass my useless, disinterested dealer and thereby be kept in some reasonable contact with what is happening over the last 16 weeks or so.
VW, as a result of my enquiries and persistence also gave me a 'Case' Ref. Number and eventually phoned me 'out of the blue' to give me a confirmed build date for my car i.e next week now.

Robbie G
23-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Paul, since when does someone asking whether or not a statement was aimed at them, automatically mean they are offended :confused:.

Paul seems to me a very measured and helpful poster. Robbie, the man's just trying to be helpful, and then bending over backwards to be apologetic when you misread him. Is it a bit hot in your office ? It doesn't seem 2 minutes since you were calling others "precious bitches" on this forum.

Aircon's going great guns, 19 degrees, lovely and cool. Thanks for asking. And thanks for pointing out that Paul is 'measured and helpful', though I'm not sure how that's relevant. Anyway how have you figured that I misread him? If you re-read carefully, I think you'll find it's vice versa ;). I read it exactly as it was posted. I was merely asking Paul if it was a general comment he was making or if it was directed at anyone in particular.

I think this is just another classic internet case of words being easier to misinterpret than conversation.

Anyway, HHGTTG it sounds like you've had a flipping nightmare with your order. I can't believe that all of your problems stem from the simple matter of adding a sunroof to your order.

nebw
23-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Here is the email:

'
Good Morning, Thank you for your recent email.

I can confirm that your build week, is week 26. So your delivery date will be 12 weeks from there.

Regards

Sean '

I wonder if he's just missed out a hyphen, i.e: "your delivery date will be 1-2 weeks from there" ?!

Robbie G
23-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Very possible and a worthy observation. I suppose I should just be patient as no amount of asking is likely to speed things up. However it's difficult when you're driving a 2.5 year old Ford Fiesta!

HHGTTG
23-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Paul, since when does someone asking whether or not a statement was aimed at them, automatically mean they are offended :confused:.

Aircon's going great guns, 19 degrees, lovely and cool. Thanks for asking. And thanks for pointing out that Paul is 'measured and helpful', though I'm not sure how that's relevant. Anyway how have you figured that I misread him? If you re-read carefully, I think you'll find it's vice versa ;). I read it exactly as it was posted. I was merely asking Paul if it was a general comment he was making or if it was directed at anyone in particular.

I think this is just another classic internet case of words being easier to misinterpret than conversation.

Anyway, HHGTTG it sounds like you've had a flipping nightmare with your order. I can't believe that all of your problems stem from the simple matter of adding a sunroof to your order.
Neither can I, although that's what I was told originally and perpetuated by certain people, since.
Again, VW told me that the dealers should be quoting at least 16 weeks delivery for factory orders especially as the year has progressed, as anything less is probably lies or is based on ignorance or keeness to get your order, come what may.
I've also been told that some people walk away from their VW dealers when told of the waiting times for many of their VW products.

HHGTTG
07-07-2009, 03:51 PM
My car has now been built and is awaiting shipment in the next 7 days or so and so should take delivery the week after next - almost exactly 20 weeks since I placed the order.
:D

GTMan
07-07-2009, 04:08 PM
My TSI GT was built a week or so ago and I am now waiting for shipment. I have been told that they have to wait till they have a ship full before they bring them over to Blighty.

My dealer (Harrogate VW) has said that delivery will probably be in week starting 20 July, we shall see...

paul.mgrath
07-07-2009, 09:42 PM
My TSI GT was built a week or so ago and I am now waiting for shipment. I have been told that they have to wait till they have a ship full before they bring them over to Blighty.

My dealer (Harrogate VW) has said that delivery will probably be in week starting 20 July, we shall see...

Makes sense to me,when i picked mine up there must have been a boatload outside the dealership ready for collection

fitlikemike
16-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Well I think what I'm gonna take from this thread is my confirmation number and run it past the MK HQ place sometime when I'm bouncing off the walls with impatience.

It's good to read that some of you chaps have already taken delivery and are experiencing the 'bong' and other such delights I presume?

Like the man says we are all about getting in, and driving our shiny new MK6 still, I really must remind myself not to be going near any fiesta's meantime - unless it's a jazz mag that is!

Robbie G
16-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Well my car is being delivered Monday 20th July, exactly 2 calendar months after placing the order. Can't wait!!! Like a kid in a sweet shop.

They wanted a lot of detail for the scrappage aspect of the order - copies of V5 driving, licence, MOT certificate, insurance documents, and a utility bill / bank statement with my wife's name on it (her's is the car being scrapped so we've had to register the new car in her name also :-/ ).

They're bringing it down on a delivery lorry so I don't get some pleb ragging the balls out of it down the motorway. Just got to make sure everything's there when it's delivered i.e. ipod cable and bottle opener etc.

I think I'll be spending the first few hours just sitting in the car playing with all the buttons!

stevebracey
16-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Robbie,

Very glad that the car is turning up ahead of the suggested schedule....12 weeks from build would have been a long old wait!

Please let us all know what you think...I too have ordered a GT TSI 160 and would love to know about your impressions of the car.

Good luck for July 20th.

Steve