PDA

View Full Version : Question Causes of swirls, and how to prevent them?

curiousgeorge
21-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Just want to know the causes of swirls so I can avoid them (I've just had my bonnet resprayed so want to keep it that way).

From what I've been reading here, it seems that swirls are caused by:

1) washing without using a second rinse bucket, so the dirt scratches the paintwork as you wash.

2) drying with leathers.

And it's the circular motion we use when washing/drying that gives swirl marks that circular pattern?

So is it better to wash and dry in a straight line motion?

Plife
22-06-2009, 09:38 AM
My suggestion's

Use 2 buckets, one for wash and one for rinse, both with grit guards
Use 2 lambswool/sheepskin washmits, one for the top half and one for the bottom half of the car (and a separate mitt/sponge for the wheels)
Use a waffle weave drying towel

Check out Elite Detailer's guide
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=50891
:beerchug:

curiousgeorge
22-06-2009, 01:09 PM
I guess lambswool rather than sheepskin (leather).

I got a microfibre wash mitt which I guess is just as good.

Plife
22-06-2009, 03:10 PM
I guess lambswool rather than sheepskin (leather).

I got a microfibre wash mitt which I guess is just as good.
I have a lambswool and sheepsking and I can't tell the difference between the 2. I'd personally use these over a microfibre wash mit. The pile is longer which traps dirt further away from the car. I use a microfibre mit for the wheels.

curiousgeorge
22-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Oh no, I went and bought a microfibre mitt for the body, thought I read somewhere it's good for washing.

The pile is quite thick, about an inch. As my paint work is black, is it worth me ditching the microfibre one and getting a lambswool?

I quite like using a sponge for the wheels, it gets into where your hand can't reach.

hongkongstuey
22-06-2009, 08:55 PM
i use 2 buckets, half decent wash solution like autoglym and a sheepskin mitt, still leaves water marks unless you use chamois, so i chamois it with warm water, rinsing in second bucket of warm water to get any dirt left over (prob doesnt matter) and then you should have a decent base for any other treatments like clay or wax, never leave it at just a wash. mines still dead shiny after god knows how many weeks but i clay barred mine at last wash

Plife
23-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Oh no, I went and bought a microfibre mitt for the body, thought I read somewhere it's good for washing.

The pile is quite thick, about an inch. As my paint work is black, is it worth me ditching the microfibre one and getting a lambswool?

I quite like using a sponge for the wheels, it gets into where your hand can't reach.
I don't have any experience with microfibre wash mits, my one is very short pile. Personally I would stick to the lambswool/sheepskin as these come highly recommended

elitedetailer
23-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Some sound advice there Plife. :beerchug:

Dunc_Mk5
25-06-2009, 01:12 PM
This has been an insanely helpful thread. Just bought a Golf in black metallic so want to keep good care of it to stop it looking dull and unloved. Will be on my way to Halfords soon enough to look for lambs wool mits and grit guards!

Will have my first attempt at proper car care this weekend and take a few pics to see what you think of my efforts! :D

curiousgeorge
29-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Just seen on another website a tip to always apply wax in the straight line motion, in the direction of air flow, to prevent swirls.

I think it's a useful tip and I've not seen it mentioned here.

elitedetailer
29-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Just seen on another website a tip to always apply wax in the straight line motion, in the direction of air flow, to prevent swirls.

I think it's a useful tip and I've not seen it mentioned here.

Hi

Somebody has been telling you porkies, its totally irrelavant, as long as the surface is clean and the applicator/cloth is clean then it doesn't matter.

For example, when removing swirls, the machine is spinning round and round at 600-2200 rpm.

Regards
EliteDetailer :beerchug: