PDA

View Full Version : Anti roll bar bushes

naquiss
21-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Question: How easy is it to fit ARB bushes? Does the subframe have to be lowered slightly? The bolts for the brackets look to be in a very tight space.

Its a 2001 A3 1.8T Sport.

Thanks.

towcestervag
22-06-2009, 03:41 AM
drop the back 2 bolts out that mount the subframe

CHoNGY
24-06-2009, 10:49 PM
I also find it easier to undo both ARB drop links aswell.

Its easy to fit if your handy with tools.

You dont have to drop subframe down at all.

you can get in using a short 13mm socket and ratchet.

I done plenty being a greasemonkey :p

naquiss
25-06-2009, 11:24 AM
I had a go at it, got as far as releasing the drop links, but its those hooks on the ARB clamps that would not come out. Jiggled the ARB around as much as i could then ran out of time and had to give up.

I have never had to undo the sub frame so not sure what this entails. if I did it this way, is there any complication posed by loosening the subframe and lowering it slightly? Would I have to support it with a jack, or let it hang?

I don't know what other bolts are holding it until I get back under the car and have a look.

Crasher
25-06-2009, 01:38 PM
There is no way you can do that without dropping the subframe!

CHoNGY
25-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Well if you decide to drop subframe make sure it goes back up exactly the same because it could affect camber / caster settings.

But like i said i done loads of these and never had to drop subframe :confused:.

Crasher
26-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Good advice about the alignment but I have a Golf 4 (exactly the same) on my ramp on which I am just about to do an ARB on and there is no way on earth I could get that bar out without dropping the subframe, an extract from the VAG workshop info system ELSA on a 2001 A3 is “Carefully lower subframe”.

naquiss
26-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the advice so far chaps.

It looks possible without having to drop subframe, but would cause lots of aggravation for someone doing it first time.

I think I will lower the sub frame.

So, would I have to support it with a jack, or let it hang? Presumably I don't need to remove the bolts completely, just loosen enough to drop slightly and get the clearance, right?

Crasher
26-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Remove the rack bolts, remove the subframe bolts and lower the subframe down and let it hand off thee wishbones. I would love to see someone try and do it without dropping the subframe, I will have to give it a go for a laugh.

naquiss
26-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks again Crasher.

Right, I'll have to go and get all new subframe bolts as they are all stretch type.

Crasher
26-06-2009, 05:06 PM
So are the rack bolts.

CHoNGY
27-06-2009, 01:38 PM
naquiss,

I did a golf mk4 1.8t gti ARB bushes this morning.

All i did was undo ARB drop links. ARB D bracket and turned steering full lock to keep rack boot away and gives a little more room. Prised up ARB D bracket and replaced new.

Took me roughly 30 mins for both sides.

Think i will charge alot more for these next time as alot of people seem think its a much more involved job. :p

CHoNGY
27-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Remove the rack bolts, remove the subframe bolts and lower the subframe down and let it hand off thee wishbones. I would love to see someone try and do it without dropping the subframe, I will have to give it a go for a laugh.

I did them this morning without dropping subframe and not for a laugh :D

Crasher
27-06-2009, 05:35 PM
The bar itself, not the bushes! Doing the bushes is a waste of time, they will be worn out again in six months but yes, I misread the first post as I did not think anyone was daft enough to do only the bushes, a complete waste of time.

naquiss
28-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the daft tag!

Why will new bushes be worn out in 6 months? Is it from the increased flexion of the ARB due to metal fatigue?

Crasher
28-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Because the bushes fail due to the antiroll bar corroding and the running surface will be rough so will grind away the new bushes in weeks. Forum userer TDIborasam has just had this exact issue and I see it all the time at work.

Lord Nelson
29-06-2009, 09:05 AM
try this thread that i wrote for the ARB bushes on my bora.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10825

hope it helps if you havent already done them :beerchug:

naquiss
01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks to all for your help.

I know what I need to do now.