PDA

View Full Version : A5 3.0 TDI vs. S5

mgibbins
20-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Looking for some advice from A5 3.0 TDI owners and S5 owners. I am trying to make an informed decision. Whilst the S5 is the one the heart is going with being a V8 with a good voice box, the 3.0 TDI is on paper the more sensible buy; better fuel consumption, lower insurance, lower road tax and practically just as fast.

I have only test driven the A5....I will be test driving the S5 next week.

What are your thoughts on drive, cost of ownership and general opinion!?

Looking to pick up pre-owned between 5,000 and 10,000 on the clock.

onemanparty
20-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Reference the S5 V8 4.2. I would test drive the S4 as I believe the S5 will be getting the 3.0 Super charged engine.

I have driven the A5 3.0TDI for 2 weeks awaiting my old A4 (B8) 3.0TDI quattro Sline to arrive and also the S5 but only for the weekend.

I would go for the A5 3.0TDI at present or wait until they upgrade the S5 to the 3.0 engine

Neerazan
22-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm really glad I have an S5 with the V8. If it had come with the V6 then I think I would definitely have gone for the 3.0 TDi or wait for the RS5 to come out. I LOVE the sound of the burbling V8 engine, it sounds bloody gorgeous!

I had an A5 for a protracted period prior to choosing, and like you I was very much thinking "head says 3.0 Tdi and heart says S5." I weighed up all the pros and cons (economy, engine sound, insurance and so on) and i'm glad that my heart won out. I wouldn't trade the S5 for a 3.0 diesel now in any way.

The A5 is 'practically' as fast as the S5 sure. In reality though it really isn't. It doesn't handle as well, nor does it stop as well either in my experience. However, the 3.0 diesel is still a very quiet engine with lots of torque and is an excellent purchase.

I guess you will need to ask yourself if this is going to be an everyday car where you will be driving long distances and fuel economy (and therefore overall cost of ownership) is a big issue for you. If so, then the 3.0 is probably a better bet.

If you aren't bothered about the fuel economy, then S5 all the way!

mgibbins
22-06-2009, 10:17 PM
thanks for that. looking forward to getting the S5 out for a test drive!

What are your thoughts on either model and their abaility to hold their value? A couple of people i have spoken to say that a high spec A5 3.0 TDI will hold better than the S5 - do you think that is true? Do you think that when the S5 V6 3.0 comes out this will be more popular and the S5 4.2 V8