PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Cutting Out.

David Groom
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Hello There,

I have a 1996 8v Golf Gti Anniversary, and i'm having problems with the fuel pump cutting out whenever it feels like it. The car used to have a Metasys Car immobiliser and alarm fitted, but I had it removed as I thought this was the problem. The chap that removed it says there is something wrong with the fuse box, can this be right???

I need someone to have a look at it but don't want to go to a VW main dealer to be charged a fortune. Does anyone know of anyone reputable in the East Sussex area or even have an idea what might be wrong.

Cheers in advance for any help.

Dave

Col
05-04-2007, 03:53 PM
The pump relay which is in the fusebox locaton or just above it is notorious for failing.

What happens ususally is that after about 10-20 minutes running when it warms up, the joints within the relay relax cutting power.

We had this on our MK3 2.0 8v and a replacement relay cured it.

I'm not saying it is the case on yours but it is likely. Ours was a 1995 2.0 GTI 8v

[edit]

If it any help, the relay was grey in colour, the others up in that area above the fusebox are either black or blue from memory.

David Groom
05-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Big Col,

Many thanks for you message, so quick too. The mobile auto mechanic showed me this very relay, although he said nothing about it being notorious! What he has had to do to enable us eof the car is manually close the contact of the relay (by elastic band, of all things), then I have to insert the realy when i want to start the car and take it out when finished, otherwise the pump keeps running when the engines off.

I was thinking about replacing the fuse box, which I think i can manage myself to see if it was a problem with that. I will try a new fuse first though, its got to be cheaper eh!

Many thanks again. If you now anymore given the new info then please reply again!!!

Dave,

P.s You were right the relay is Grey!

Col
05-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Seem to recall it was about £18 from VW.

Good luck, as the 2.0 8v is a bugger for bad running / idle !

Have you also looked into / researched cleaning the throttle body as that can cause bad idle / stalling as well.... again, was on ours !!

PJ0
12-12-2007, 10:25 AM
hi Dave,

Just seen this post (I'm new) and wanted to find out if your jetta is still running smoothly after you replaced that fuel pump relay.I'm currently having a similiar problem and posted a threat today (Pls read it).Will appreciate feedback
Thanks

Paul