PDA

View Full Version : 1st gear acceleration issue

bloostar
20-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi,

Been running around in my A6 2.0TDI for a couple of months now (2006/56) and I'm finally starting to get to grips with it - great handling and fantastic down the motorway etc. I have however come across one really annoying issue and was wondering if anyone out there has come across this/found a solution?

In short, as I approach a junction, I'll slow to a crawl without fully stopping and slip into 1st gear ready to take off again. On lifting the clutch and moving off again however, it's almost as if the car has a dip in power until the engine/turbo winds up enough to make the car accelerate as it would do in higher gears. I appreciate 1st gear is really only for taking off from a standstill however when you're creeping at less than 1 or 2 mph, 2nd gear just doesn't cut it. Never come across this with other diesel cars and I've owned a few!

The only solution I've found so far is to literally floor the accelerator for a brief few seconds however this can end up with too much power going to the wheels and spin them up.. I'm wondering if it's a dodgy sensor - please help before I end up back to my Honda!

nelliekins74
22-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I've been test-driving a load of A6 2.0 TDi's recently, and have experienced very poor take-up in most of them - especially manual boxes!! Finally found one that doesn't appear too bad (fingers crossed!).

I think it is a common "problem" with 3/4-year-old models, as the 2.0 TDi Avant demonstrator I drove (w/ 3k miles on the clock) didn't exhibit it at all (sh*t off a shovel at lights!)

If you find out that it is a fault, PM me!

bloostar
22-06-2009, 08:08 PM
If I come across a solution I certainly will do.

Having said that, I've no real issue with 1st gear at any other time at all. Indeed, I agree it's like **** of a shovel if you catch the revs right, but only from standstill with my car! It's just that area around 1-2 mph causing me frustration - to my mind it's pretty dangerous as it means you end up crawling across a junction as the car just simply won't pick up quickly enough to clear the traffic safely. Or at the opposite extreme I look like a boy racer by spinning the wheels all the way! :aargh4:

Next service I'm going to speak to Audi and see if it's something to do with the mapping... unless of course it's related to the MAF sensor. Every other issue with the A6 seems to relate to something being clogged up with dirt. Might even email audi directly.. if they reply of course!

nobbyuk
22-06-2009, 09:04 PM
FWIW, when I had my 2005 2.0TDi from new, I hardly used first gear unless from a standstill. There's enough torque in the engine to use second from any forward momentum. Get a remap and you probably won't ever use first again !

Cheers
Dave

JimC64
23-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey bloostar.....reading about your issues and then saw your status on the forum...." stalled "....quite funny I thought:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Seriously though... I have the 2.0 tdi (07) and totally agree with you on this issue....Its poor to say the least and can be downright dangerous until your used to it in these situations.
You want my advice.....Get her remapped takin her to around 176bhp and it'll seriously improve this area as well as others and can actually increase your mpg on long runs too.
Do yourself a favour and look into it:beerchug:

All the best

Jim

siwil1
14-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Hey bloostar.....reading about your issues and then saw your status on the forum...." stalled "....quite funny I thought:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Seriously though... I have the 2.0 tdi (07) and totally agree with you on this issue....Its poor to say the least and can be downright dangerous until your used to it in these situations.
You want my advice.....Get her remapped takin her to around 176bhp and it'll seriously improve this area as well as others and can actually increase your mpg on long runs too.
Do yourself a favour and look into it:beerchug:

All the best

Jim

Hi Weve just bought a 2.0 tdi A6 and I'm finding 1st gear frighteningly slow, After driving a 2.7tdi for a couple of weeks noweven more so!

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get "chipped/ mapped" in the Essex area?

Thanks

Simon (newbie!)

Fatandy
14-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Just got my 07 A6 2.0TDI and i have the same issue, will a remap sort this?

steebee
26-08-2009, 10:41 PM
gents, just to add i have had same with my a6 avant from new ( 2007 2.0tdi 140, now 20k ), usually when you are crawling and then need to sprint for a gap in the traffic - you'll know what i mean. think a remap will be early christmas present to self.

Fatandy
27-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Had mine chipped now, loads more torque and nicer to drive but 1st gear still crap.

Blackavant
27-08-2009, 03:17 PM
I read somewhere that it's to protect the Dual Mass Fly Wheel, my A6 is the same. If this is the case then remapping may cure the issue but at reduced DMFW life.

bloostar
15-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Further update to this from last year - turns out part of the issue was a knackered Intercooler (!). Thankfully fixed under warranty however I'm now looking at a remap now it's been resolved - took long enough to sort out!

Cucurko
09-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Hello, how did you find out it was knackered? Did it show something on the engine readings, or you could hear or see something? Because I'm experiencing similar issue(but at higher revs, around 2000), it is most probably caused by what the other folks told me in my topic (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=510618#post510618), but am not excluding any other causes of it.

bloostar
09-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi,

The car started behaving a little erratric (really lumpy) for a few days beforehand. Then one night on the motorway something just 'went' and the engine kicked into limp mode (bit scary as I was overtaking a lorry at the time!). The best way to tell if it's the intercooler is to check for oil on the top of the grey cylinder at the back right of the engine bay (as you look at it from the front of the car. The chap from the Audi garage took less than 30 seconds to figure it out.