PDA

View Full Version : The Mk.V Golf Log

the surfer
19-06-2009, 02:09 PM
I am in a predicament; whether to keep my Mk.V Golf or not.

I thought that a thread containing useful information will not only help me in my decision, but also help others with various things regarding their Mk.V Golf.

So, if everyone could post the following information on this thread, I think it could be very useful:

1. Model: 2.0 GT TDI manual (140ps).
2. Year of manufacture: 2005.
3. Reg.: 55.
4. Current mileage: 37,000.
5. Owned since: March 2007.
6. Purchase info: £16,500 from main VW dealer with full VWSH, 18,000 miles.
7. Extras: 2-Zone Climatronic air conditioning & elec. sunroof.
8. Average MPG: Generally around 55mpg.
9. Engine & gearbox code (if known): Engine is BKD and gearbox is HDV (02Q series).
10. Servicing schedule: Maximum of 10,000 miles, oil change using VW spec 507.00.
11. Overall opinion of car: Can't fault the Golf in any way except for poor gear shift when cold. Overall it's a very nice car to drive in every way.
12. Faults (not including wear and tear): Synchro rings replaced in manual 6-speed gearbox at 35,000 miles to rectify poor gear changes (latent defect picked up on taking ownership of the car).
13. Other info: Still on factory tyres and brakes, although tyres will need changing in around 2k. Brakes have lots of life still left in them. The only thing I've needed to replace is a 5W bulb for the rear No. plate. Alloy wheels have started to wear; lacquer is peeling and metal looks tarnished.

With any luck, we should hopefully see the general consensus of the Mk.5 Golf. This should help me determine how long to keep my car for. I would be particularly interested to see info on high mileage cars to see how well the Golf holds up.

I want to keep my car but don't want to end up with something that, long-term, proves to be unreliable and expensive to keep.

Help :beerchug:

sgtbanjo
20-06-2009, 12:39 AM
4. Current mileage: 37,000.

Still on factory tyres and brakes, although tyres will need changing in around 2k.

You've gotta be kidding about the tyres? If you can get 39000 miles from one set of front tyres you must drive very conservatively?

RickT
20-06-2009, 01:47 AM
1. Model: 1.9TDI SE
2. Year of manufacture: 2005.
3. Reg.: 54
4. Current mileage: 71,000.
5. Owned since: July 2008.
6. Purchase info: Part ex a 2006 1.2 S Vw Polo with 7k miles, swap for swap.
7. Extras: Standard SE Spec. - cruise control etc etc.
8. Average MPG: Generally around 50mpg in town, 55/60 when taking it steady @ 60mph... 47/52mpg above.
9. Engine & gearbox code (if known): 1.9TDI PD
10. Servicing schedule: Maximum of 10,000 miles, oil change using VW spec 507.00.
11. Overall opinion of car: Good car to drive, i was surprised to be honest, as i drive an Audi A4 also.
12. Faults (not including wear and tear): Radiator leaked @ 65k miles, and W&T, cambelt and water pump.
13. Other info: Nothing really to report..... still drives like new, and looks like it too inside and out.

the surfer
20-06-2009, 04:30 PM
You've gotta be kidding about the tyres? If you can get 39000 miles from one set of front tyres you must drive very conservatively?

No, serious ;)

I'm presuming the tyres were the factory fit when I bought the car at 18k as they clearly weren't new. I switched front to back and vice-versa at about 20k and I'm almost down to the wear indicator now at 37k. They are Bridgestone Turanza all round.

I would say I do drive sensibly most of the time. In fact, I can quite often drive the 8 miles to work and not need to use the brakes once until I come to a stop in the car park! Also, I sometimes manage 65mpg on the journey back from work if there is no traffic and it's a warm day. Now and then I give it a bit of a thrash though.

Thanks for the post RickT :beerchug:

Keep them coming.....

RickT
20-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Just to add to this... my Dad always got around 60k out of a set of tires when he was doing high mileage a week just sat on the motorway each day..

Rick

kodkod.84
23-06-2009, 07:57 AM
1. Model: 2.0TDI GT 140ps
2. Year of manufacture: 2007
3. Reg.: 07
4. Current mileage: 25,000.
5. Owned since: November 2007.
6. Purchase info: List £16k paid £13.5 (Part ex a 2002 1.2 SE VW Polo with 60k miles)
7. Extras: Standard GT spec with Rear Parking Sensors
8. Average MPG: 550 miles per tank = 45.5mpg
9. Engine & gearbox code (if known): 2.0TDI
10. Servicing schedule: LongLife (serviced at 18,000)
11. Overall opinion of car: Sporty looking 5-door, looks good in black. Impressed with the handling, interior good, but not as good as my A4.
12. Faults (not including wear and tear): N/A
13. Other info:

the surfer
24-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far; they all seem quite positive towards the Mk.5.

I'm particularly interested to see, in general, how the BKD TDIs hold up at high mileage as there seems to be quite a few turbo failures reported. I'd also be particularly interested in cars with the HDV gearbox.

Any more for any more?

onzarob
24-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I will post some info soon on mine ;)

My neighbour has an 04 2.0 TDI with BKD and GRF Gearkbox has done 73K with no major problems. longlife service at around 18k each time ;)

elliot
26-06-2009, 04:09 AM
1. Model: 1.4s
2. Year of manufacture: 2005
3. Reg.: 05
4. Current mileage: 37k
5. Owned since: june 09
6. Purchase info: up for £8500 got for 7k
7. Extras: alloys thats all i can think of lol
8. Average MPG: about 30
9. Engine & gearbox code (if known): 1.4s
10. Servicing schedule: whenever the light comes on, or it sounds sick
11. Overall opinion of car: love it, it makes me drive like the stig every where
12. Faults (not including wear and tear): N/A
13. Other info:

onzarob
26-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Right i think peole need to learn what is meant by Engine and Gearbox CODE it is not 2.0 TDI 6 speed.

Its BKD and HDV for example. The info is in the front on your handbook or on the sticker in the boot. This is important as there are so many different variations that it become a bit meaningless.

Cheers

Rob:D

the surfer
27-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Again, thanks for all the replies.

I think I've made my decision to part-ex the Golf now though.....

Topbear
03-07-2009, 09:40 PM
1. Model: 2.0 GT TDI DSG (140ps).
2. Year of manufacture: 2005
3. Reg: 55 plate
4. Current mileage: 52,000.
5. Owned since: March 2007.
6. Purchased info: £13,500 from private purchaser, at 15,500 miles.
7. Extras: None. Cruise control retrofitted by VW dealer in summer 2007
8. Average MPG: Generally around 47mpg.
9. Engine & gearbox code (if known): Engine is BKD and gearbox is DSG(dunno what the actual VW code is)
10. Servicing schedule: Variable servicing normally at ~18,000 mile intervals, oil change using VW spec 507.00, @ 18K, 35K and 50K. DSG box oil changed at 50,000 miles all filters, (air, pollen, fuel) change at 50,000.
11. Overall opinion of car: Can't fault the Golf in any way except for poor gear shift when cold. Overall it's a very nice car to drive in every way.
12. Faults (not including wear and tear): Engine sensor, I think temperature sender, which caused the emmisions light to come on, replace under warranty by dealer at ~2 years old.
13. Other info: Still on factory brakes, thought fronts pads are nearly done. At the end of my 2nd set of front tyres, so will need changing in around 2k. Alloy wheels have started to wear on outside edge; lacquer is peeling and metal looks oxidised. Will be refurbed at some point in the future

Paul_mkV_golf
04-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I think I've made my decision to part-ex the Golf now though.....

what you part-exing for?

did get a bit of new car envy when I had a mk6 hire car recently but not enough to consider ditching my car yet, still happy enough with it + paid off all outstanding finance so £250 a month better off for now!!

the surfer
05-07-2009, 12:50 PM
what you part-exing for?

did get a bit of new car envy when I had a mk6 hire car recently but not enough to consider ditching my car yet, still happy enough with it + paid off all outstanding finance so £250 a month better off for now!!

I picked up a Passat Sport 2.0 TDI earlier this week :D

Now, I thought the Golf was a good car, but the new Passat is worlds apart! It has a full leather interior, electrically adjustable and heated seats, parking sensors, dual-zone Climatronic, 17" Monte Carlo alloys and privacy glass. The Passat was a demo at a large VW dealership when new, then it was sold locally and it has full VWSH from the same dealer. This car must have been at least £25k when new...?

It has the 140 TDI (BKP) engine and when inside the car it can barely be heard, compared to the Golf where it sounded like I was driving a cabriolet! Plus no road noise! The car seems very solid and sturdy. All the materials are of good or excellent quality. The Passat seems to be one of the only VWs that are still exclusively built in Germany.

The turbo on the Golf was very audible while decelerating and sounded like I had an owl in the glovebox. The turbo on the Passat can't be heard at all, just felt :approve:

In the Passat I'm averaging between 45-50mpg at the moment (with air con on full). This figure is slightly down on the Golf; I was consistently hitting 55-60mpg.

After almost one week of owning the Passat I can honestly say it's a far superior car in almost every way. Plus, I am saving almost £100 a month on payments.

The Golf is faster accelerating, obviously, as it is around 31 stone lighter than the Passat. The Golf really did have loads of torque though and it quite often lost traction. The Passat seems to have a far smoother power delivery, but certainly doesn't feel underpowered.

I did plan on keeping the Golf if it wasn't for the faulty gearbox.... I didn't fancy keeping it long-term. The 6-speed manual on the Passat is as smooth as butter even when cold; how it should be!

Overall I'm very pleased with my 5th VW and I haven't looked back once.

KeithS
05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
I picked up a Passat Sport 2.0 TDI earlier this week :D

Now, I thought the Golf was a good car, but the new Passat is worlds apart!

I tend to agree, my old Passat B5 V6 had a far better build quality than my new Golf ST sport. As you say, dead quiet, solid construction with doors that always clunked shut (the Golf's sometimes don't) and no rattles (the Golf has numerous ones in the dash and around the cabin).

That said the Golf is noticeably faster - even though the V6 had good low down grunt, the 170hp diesel has much more...