PDA

View Full Version : Another window regulator bites the dust !

Col
05-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Grrr,

Having had my Golf for almost 3 years and now the Pasty / Sausage Roll Passat I have so far escaped the dreaded window regulator issue, that is until this morning !

The window hasn't dropped but strange grindy noise are being made.

I'm getting the kit from Euro Car Parts to mend it but it is something I really could do without having to do, espcecially at the start of the Easter Weekend.

Not happy. :mad:

I've seen loads of how-to's on this very common problem but any further tips would be most welcome. I may even take some of my own piccies.

jamie211983
05-04-2007, 02:23 PM
what your hearing is probably the runner grinding the glass dont do it anymore as your gonna scratch the glass and could find yourself buying a new window in case you smash it.depending on how much you paid for the kit to fix it i went to vw and got the whole lot which is all fixed to the backing plate so you just have to bolt it on the door it cost me £74 all in. all though it looks like the clips on the new one are plastic there not there just coated in plastic good luck with that hope this helps.....
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: ...

Rogg
05-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Did mine last weekend, also got the complete assembly from VW as above. It wasn't too bad a job, just the fiddly bit getting the lock rod unclipped from the lock. mine broke, its very flimsy plastic, and I then spent 2 hours fixing it! Also check function of locks after reassembly but before shutting the door. I couldnt open mine either from the inside or out and after starting to panick it suddenly opened. I stripped it down again and put it back together and now it works fine, trouble is I have no idea why it wouldn't work the first time.
Good luck

Col
05-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Cheers for the replies.

Just got home and had a look at the kit the Mrs got from Euro Car Parts, it has got METAL window holder clips.

A further question (which I'll answer myself in an hour or two) is; Is it the plastic window clips that fail on the Passat as they do on the Golf or is it the runner?

Grrrrrr

This has ruined my 'ownership' experience !!

I ran cheapo Fords for years and never had any problems with any of them !

Col
05-04-2007, 10:05 PM
All done now and just got the kids off to bed.

It is one of those jobs whereby if you've done it once, you'd do it more than twice as fast next time, not that difficult.

Had a bit of a nightmare with one of the, so I thought, lock bolts on the door edge. It turned out the it was actually the handle carrier frame. Anyway I had to drill it out and fiddle with it for about half an hour or so.

A few observations;

1, Make sure you only undo the two lower lock bolt on the door edge, the top one is for the door handle and doesn't need to come off. Also make sure you undo these first before you undo the carrier panel as (as said in a previous post above, those clips / revets are very flimsy.

2, If the window is jammed like mine was, to remove the glass from the mechanism, I partly remove the carrier plate and was able to JUST remove the glass.

3, My mechanism must be a revised type to that as described in the Haynes manual as there were no pegs holding the glass but clamps that you need to undo with a 10mm spanner. In fact in 2 above, I think you'd struggle if it were the peg type. My car is a 2002

4, The mode of failure on mine was a frayed cable which had jammed the mechanism. The clips were an all metal type from the factory (as I had to drill out the rivets).

5, The kit from Euro Car Parts, is not only about £30 cheaper than the genuine VW item, which they also stock but in my opinion is also far superior as well. The stock VW item had nylon quadrant guides in the corners for expample, where as the Euro item has pulleys, much better.

Anyway, I didn't take any piccies as there is loads of info on this already on the net but I hope my observation may help. Out of curiousity as this happened on the way to work this morning, I phoned VW to find out how much to fix, they quoted over £200 !

I am now suitably smug again...... that is until something else go wrong !

gary1
02-05-2007, 11:07 PM
i see this problem a few times a week when im fitting door glasses its very common try keeping the glass channel lubed with WD do it on all doors when you clean the car and tou will never have it happen again any probs drop me a line