PDA

View Full Version : Axle Stands...

Stuart_B
19-06-2009, 11:13 AM
....I've never used them before, so where's the best place to put them? My haynes says at the jacking point with a 'suitable block of wood', but surely my jack will already be there..

MalcQV
19-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Most parts of the chassis will do.

Captain Answer
22-06-2009, 12:19 PM
http://www.agthompsonfamily.com/vw/FrontSwayBushing1.jpg

You'll see on the underside of the car a pronounced piece in the chassis/floorplan back from the seem like the one above, these are perfect for axle stands, oh and using a piece of cardboard will lower my oppinion of you.

mwvw
22-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Certainly wouldn't use the jacking points as these tend to be on a seam. If you lowered the car onto these, something would buckle. with possible damage to the cills.
Best place is as MalcQV says. Look to locate under the sub frame/chassis.

Stuart_B
22-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Cheers boys, thought using the jacking area would be a bit iffy.

Secondly (even though I know 'in theory' it wont), would switching on the engine/turning my power steering be a problem whilst up on the axle stands?

Again, i'm still learning so any sarcasm or abuse will be taken on the chin! haha

NickPicks
22-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Switching on the engine shouldn't be a problem, although I wouldn't get under the car just in case the vibrations move it (probably over cautios, but that's just me.)

If you only need to turn the steering, you won't need the power steering with the wheels off the ground.

Captain Answer
23-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Turning the wheels is not a problem but starting the engine can cause vibrations which can move the car off its stands. Ramps would be better if you're doing engine work.

Stuart_B
23-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I'll just turn the wheels without starting the car. Cheers boys. :beerchug:

Captain Answer
23-06-2009, 06:28 PM
You may need to put the key in and turn it to disengage the steering lock

Stuart_B
23-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Yea. Cheers for the help men.